SASS Wire Forum

Chess

In my younger years, I studied and played chess often.  When I was a young soldier (an E-4) I was my battalion's chess champion.  Defeated a 1LT in the finals.

Later in life, other side interests took over, like bird hunting, CAS, miniature wargaming. 

Now in my later years I don't actively play chess.  Thanks to the internet, I so enjoy the millions of chess games by the masters, both old and new.   I drag out one of my nice chess sets and replay these great games.

In my old age, I still have the joy of one of the most beautiful of games--chess.

Capablanca, held both the checker and chess championship for several years.  His father was an officer in the Cuban Army and Capablanca would watch his father play chess against other officers.  One day, the 5-year-old boy asked his father if he could play him.  Capablanca's father offered to show how the pieces moved.  The boy declined and in the boy's very first game, the boy beat his father!

One of the many things my grandfather taught me at a young age was how to play chess.  I loved that game as a kid and adolescent.  I only ever went to one official competition, where I took third or something because I performed badly being not used to using a timing clock and throwing away moves.  My favorite variation is something we called Siamese Chess, it's a four player team game with two boards.  Each team consists of one person playing black and one person playing white sitting side by side across from the other team.  As you take your opponents pieces, you hand them to your partner.  on their turn, they have the option to place one of the captured pieces on the board instead of taking a normal move.  Two placement rules, you cannot place a piece on the board that puts the king in check, and you cannot place a pawn on the 8th row.  If you advance a pawn to the 8th row, you have to borrow back a piece from your partner.  Winning team is the first team to achieve checkmate on one of the boards.  We never used clocks, but stalling for pieces was definitely discouraged and would usually result in the opposing team member on the opposite board likewise holding moves until the poor old soul could be coaxed into making another move.  It was a great game to even out player skill because a new player could be paired with an experienced player and it was a fun race to see if the experienced player could win fast enough to keep his teammate from losing.

Dad learned to play while in the Army in Europe during WWII.  He started teaching me to play when I was about 7.  I trapped and captured his Queen in a game when I was 9.  Really pissed him off. I did not win that game, but it was a while before he wanted to play again.

I was a pretty good chess player back in the day.  In 6th grade I beat our high school's champion.  When I got to high school I did pretty well and even beat our state's 3rd highest rated player.  But I haven't played competively for 40 years.  Oddly enough, I absolutely sucked at checkers and Connect Four and still do.

I play chess online whenever I am relaxing (I'm Black):

1409944417_ChessScreenShot.thumb.jpg.bfee51b5eaf3eb74a898e4e254935221.jpg

After looking extensively, I found the set I would like to be able to afford: Throne of Kings Chess Set:

264888605_ThroneofKingsChessSet.JPG.f1468525d68c586857c3f3a7495f4130.JPG

Throne of Kings- The Art of War #chess #chessset #gifts #kickstarter  kck.st/1KReRHj | Chess game, Chess board, Chess pieces

3 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I play chess online whenever I am relaxing (I'm Black):

1409944417_ChessScreenShot.thumb.jpg.bfee51b5eaf3eb74a898e4e254935221.jpg

Uh...  I'd say Black has the advantage. :rolleyes:  Maybe the next move for black is:  ...BxN?

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Uh...  I'd say Black has the advantage. :rolleyes:  Maybe the next move for black is:  ...BxN?

Birdgun,

It was White's move which was followed by my taking his Knight.

image.png.5a3f4fc81e9379e6559fecd3196b6b8e.png

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Birdgun,

It was White's move which was followed by my taking his Knight.

image.png.5a3f4fc81e9379e6559fecd3196b6b8e.png

I suspect rather than ...QxN, I'd have taken the obvious, ...NxQ with mate but a few moves away.   I also see mating combinations with ...QxN, but either way White should have resigned long ago.

7 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

After looking extensively, I found the set I would like to be able to afford: Throne of Kings Chess Set:

264888605_ThroneofKingsChessSet.JPG.f1468525d68c586857c3f3a7495f4130.JPG

Throne of Kings- The Art of War #chess #chessset #gifts #kickstarter  kck.st/1KReRHj | Chess game, Chess board, Chess pieces

Here the one I'd like to be able to afford.  :lol:  Only $12,995.  And that's just for the mammoth ivory pieces.  The board is extra for another $4,995.   That's all. ^_^

https://www.houseofstaunton.com/mammoth-ivory-collector-chess-pieces

https://www.houseofstaunton.com/signature-contemporary-chessboard-red-amboyna-birds-eye-maple-2-5-squares-20918.html

dsc_4410_1.jpg

Archived