SASS Wire Forum

SUBMARINE DIESEL ENGINES

Sedalia Dave

I love watching these old technical films.  There are dozens on YouTube.  Sadly, most modern kids don't know and can care less how things work.  If their IPhones quit they are powerless and brainless.

Here is a scene from Das Boot.  They have been sunk in the Mediteranian and are dieing from lack of air.  They manage to surface and if they can restart the diesel engines they might escape back into the Atlantic.  The music in this scene is fantastic.

4 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I love watching these old technical films.  There are dozens on YouTube.  Sadly, most modern kids don't know and can care less how things work.  If their IPhones quit they are powerless and brainless.

Here is a scene from Das Boot.  They have been sunk in the Mediteranian and are dieing from lack of air.  They manage to surface and if they can restart the diesel engines they might escape back into the Atlantic.  The music in this scene is fantastic.

A fantastic film from start to finish.

My enlistment in the USCG ended while our ship was in the yards. We were getting new Fairbanks Morse engines after running the WWII Cooper Bess. engines to shreds. During our classes on the new engines we were given tie-tacks in the shape of Colt pistols because Fairbanks Morse was owned by the same company that owned Colt. I guess F/M engine tie-tacks would have been too heavy...

On 3/25/2021 at 3:34 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

On 3/25/2021 at 3:39 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A fantastic film from start to finish.

I first watched Das Boot in German with English sub titles. A few years later watched it dubbed in English. The German language version was much much better at capturing the emotion of the crew, making it far better movie.  

I learned that if you pour whiskey into the diesel fuel, it thins the mix and gives you a few more RPMs.  Harry Dean Stanton in “Down Periscope.”

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I first watched Das Boot in German with English sub titles. A few years later watched it dubbed in English. The German language version was much much better at capturing the emotion of the crew, making it far better movie.  

That's the version I first saw.  There was a bonus,  the guy that had invited us over to watch it had served on US subs in WWII.  His commentary really enhanced it. 

We used similar F/M engines as emergency diesel generator power in our nuclear power plants.  It was quite an experience, as a young engineer running performance tests, to stand next to one of these as it was lit off.  It had to start from cold (actually never was cold, had hot oil running through it 24/7/365) to 900 rpm and outputting 3 MW in under 10 seconds.   

I worked at the DOE Hqs. building (originally AEC Hqs.) in Germantown from 1967-2000. They had three WWII diesel sub generators for emergency power. The computer center had an Interruptible Power Supply (UPS), that kept thing going until the diesels came online. We were at the absolute end of PEPCO's power line as across the road was the terminus of Potomac Edison's power line. It was interesting when a blackout would occur on one side or the other of the road. All the commercial buildings on one side would be dark; while across the street all would be lit up. This happened with great regularity during thunderstorms.

Anyhow along came a power outage, on came the generators. A bit later on came the complexes fire alarms and the building was evacuated (1.5 million sq. ft., several thousand folks). Here came the fire engines while we all stood around outside. Then came more fire engines + more + lots of smoke. Then folks began to realize that it was not a test. Then many realized their car keys were in purses/desks. Turns out one of the diesels ran away, exploded, and caught on fire.  After several hours, we were temporarily allowed back in the building for 10 minutes. Facility was shut down for several days. What a mess. DOE Hqs. Click on photo link.

Archived