SASS Wire Forum

Plymouth

Subdeacon Joe

My next door neighbor had one when I was a kid, a light blue color. The dad had a butcher shop and was well off. The youngest was my age and had oodles of toys. My dad had a '53 Chevy he kept for 13 years. 

1937 Buick

In 1947 my father purchased a new to us, 1937 Buick in basic black with a big hump back trunk and two flat panes of safety glass for the front windshield. This automobile had very little mileage on it and maybe 30 lbs of chicken manure. The farmer who bought it new had passed away shortly after the purchase and his wife didn’t drive. So it was parked in the barn to keep it safe. The chickens had free range of the barn. Fortunately the windows had been left closed so the upholstery was clean. The chicken manure had a strange effect on the car’s paint. There were small areas where the black paint had a rainbow iridescent swirl pattern on the surface, sort of like oil on water. The car never rusted so the effect was only on the surface. Automobile paint back then was enamel. Baked to a hard finish it was more durable than later lacquer finishes.

The upholstery was a cut velour that scratched your skin like a steel brush. The rear doors had the hinges in the back like the Lincoln Continental. I believe that style was referred to as “suicide doors”. Dad was a Mechanical Engineer and he figured out a “childproof lock” long before the major manufacturers put them on their cars as standard equipment. My two brothers and I were instructed to push the pin down when we were seated in the back, with the pin down and the front door closed you couldn’t pull the pin back up. Walla childproof locks.

As a youngster I learned the 3 speed shift pattern standing on the floor behind the stick. The stick was tall enough that the ball fit just under my chin. Dad would say first, second or third and I moved the stick to the correct position. I don’t know if the old 37 needed to be double clutched, but Dad handled that part. My job was to get it into the right gear.

Dad sold the old 37 in 1954 and bought a 1953 two tone Buick Roadmaster with a V8 engine. The first automatic transmission in the family. My Grandfather still drove a stick shift. I learned to drive in that 53 Buick.

CJ

Them tail and front fender fins really help it go straight, don'tcha know!   ^_^                                                                                                                             

If I had an old car like that in such fantastic condition I'd be afraid to take it out on the road. Every single day I have to brake or swerve to avoid some one idiot who's texting or too impatient to wait to pull out onto the road I'm on. A long time ago I had a vintage Mustang, and a couple times I nearly got sideswiped by somebody too busy checking out my ride to notice he was about to end up in my lane.

Had that happen to my '67 Cougar.

Had it stolen from a garage lot, side-swiped, rear-ended (Told the officer he was mesmerized by the sequential turn signal lights!) finally T-Boned be a guy running a Red Light.

Miss that car, but I think my insurance company gave a "WHEWW! when it was finally totaled.

First car was a '65 'stang. V-8, three on the floor. Fourth was another, '66 V-8 auto. .Another was picked up for a project,'67 six banger. Scrapped that one as it was too far gone. Final original size was a '68 with the last of the 289's. That one was my tinker toy. Was under the hood a lot, dual point distributor 500 CFM Holley carb with manual choke, B&M shift kit in the C-4 auto, put in a 3:55 punkin, and, dual exhaust. Finally sold it after the oldest got his license and the wife couldn't seem to tell him no:(:blush:

On 3/25/2021 at 2:56 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Them tail and front fender fins really help it go straight, don'tcha know!   ^_^                                                                                                                             

At 200 MPH!

Archived