SASS Wire Forum

Your first Leather

Pee Wee #15785

How many Have your first leather and who made it?  Do you still use it or is it in the box with the other holsters you might need someday?

My first set was made by Cowboy Bob, he was at several EOT's 25th year and back. Still gets used when woods walking with a 3rd gen Colt .44WCF. Next set was by Big ED for ROA's.  The ones I use today are made by Carrico's Leatherworks LLC, a U.S Issue Civil War Holster and a mate for the left side,1851 Waist Belt carrying a pair of 2nd gen engraved 1851 Navies.

Nice cross-draw rig (w/knife scabbard) made for me by E.L. Brown at Old Pueblo Leather on the west side of Tucson. Still use it!

Gene and Mo were great folks to deal with. Awesome family!

I had a nice belt from a Texas maker.  I sold it, so I don't remember the maker.  I had two $29.99 Cabela's holsters that collapsed when the pistols were drawn.  After I dropped a gun, because of the collapsing holsters,  I revived a long time (but dormant) leather work hobby.  My original crappy holsters helped push me into a nice part-time business making quality cowboy leather.

Yep, still have my first holster and belt.  Made it to fit a Ruger Flat-top Blackhawk.  Still have it, though I haven't used it in years.  Worn butt-forward on the right (stronghand) side for righthand cavalry draw, or lefthand cross.  Thumb break, half-flap.  Prototype for my #961 Trailrider holster.  IIRC, 23 deg. cant angle.  My #962 is the butt-rear straight draw version, zero cant angle.  Haven't checked the belt for "shrinkage", but my trouser size went from 36 to 44, but just bought some new slacks in size 40!

Stay well and safe! (Situational awareness!)

A single holster rig made in Mexico paired with a Tandy leather kit holster I stitched up myself.

Then an El Paso set of holsters.

Then a set made by a pard in Macon that has since passed away.  That set was designed with the metal between the leather to hold it stiff and open.  That was my first top notch set up.

I made my first holsters & belt - it was fun & a lot cheaper than buying a set.  Used them for 2 years, until I won a Kirkpatrick gift certificate at the GA state match in 2013.  I ordered a Long Hunter rig from them & that's the rig I use now.

Holler

I went the complete wrong way, I bought mine on Flea-Bay.  Didn’t know any better, the leather was thin, soft and bendy.  Got rid of the belt and the holsters are now used to hold the pistols on a homemade gun cart.  Didn’t make that mistake again, second rig was made by Stockyard Johnny Red (RIP) and I still use it today.

I bought a Kirkpatrick Long Hunter rig when I started shooting SASS seven years ago.  Still use it, but will likely upgrade in the near future.

El Paso Saddlery...a "Mexican Loop" holster, to fit a 4 3/4 inch barrel Colt single action. I bought the holster back in the late 1970's. 

Back then, they still had saddles in their catalog. 

Still have it. I ordered it with large whip stitching down along the back of the holster, and border tooling, as well.

It doesn't have a big El Paso tooling advertisement, on the front of it, like later models. I often wondered how it got out the door without that.

I don't like being a walking advertisement for a holster maker. I try to get full tooling, on the holster, if they offer it, so that won't happen.

Looking at their website, I could not special order one like that anymore.

Too bad.

My first rig I bought off of eBay, can’t remember the maker but they are good holsters made from heavy leather still have them, then I had a complete rig made by Colt Faro, holy smoke love his work, great rig!  SCJ

First was a Mexican buscadero rig and crossdraw, ordered at a gunshow.  I think it was about $125.  Haven't worn it in 20 years but I modified the crossdraw to make the angle legal and on occasion use that.  I wore the rig for about a year, then at a gunshow a western artist had a Mernickle rig that he had taken in trade, in my size...$75!!!  I didn't try to talk him down!  :)

Double Diamond built my first leather rig that I still use if I shoot vaqueros or Colts but I had him make me a rig for Old Armies also and that is what I use nowadays because that’s all I shoot anymore. I’ve noticed he’s started to do repair work and modifications on some other makers work to make it more usable to the particular user. Sure makes a difference.

my first leather was galco - i still use it now , if i had the funds at the time i would have loved to have custom made but we all stat somewhere , ive gotten used to it and still like it and altho i may one day invest in custom made [i have the guy picked out] for now ...im happy and still shooting it 

Wow, a little tough remembering the earliest rig but I believe I  briefly wore some leather by Classic Old West.  My first finer rig was a Big Ed then numerous sets of Kirkpatrick's, two pair Evil Roy's and two pair of Handlebar Doc's.  My last Kirkpatrick rig was a nice B-western drop LH-9 ordered at 2006 SASS convention just after being introduced.   Along the way there was also a Jack Houston rig. All sold now and I am currently comfortable with one of  three rigs, one by Aint Dunnit and two by Doc Noper.  Sassy wears also wears a Aint Dunnit rig.

Shotgun belts have been many too, several  Kirkpatick's, and a  Brown.  Presently a Aint Dunnit and a couple of Doc Noper's are used.

Sassy favors her Doc Noper.

My first rig I ordered online from Cochise Leather. https://www.cochiseleather.com it's still going strong 17 yrs later. 

70BE3C77-4A9C-4082-AC7D-CD6E735F7D17_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.4d18ef87ba3ceccdc912cdbc88d2595a.jpeg

When I started on 2002 I purchased a Long Hunters rig at the Southwest Regional at Buck Creek in Glen Rose Texas.  It was the dark color instead of the lighter brown they are now. That is still my main match rig today. The Evil Roy shotgun belt however has long since been gone and I've got a much larger Long Hunters shotgun belt in the lighter brown color.

On 3/25/2021 at 12:01 PM, Hollifer A. Dollar said:

I made my first holsters & belt - it was fun & a lot cheaper than buying a set.  Used them for 2 years, until I won a Kirkpatrick gift certificate at the GA state match in 2013.  I ordered a Long Hunter rig from them & that's the rig I use now.

Holler

I made my first rig as well.  When I was getting into CAS, I thought I could make a rig for less money than buying one from a top maker. Even though I hadn't worked with leather since junior high and didn't have any tools, I gave it a shot.  Yup, 4 months and $1,500 later, I had my first rig.

20190224_102352.thumb.jpg.8852659a4b8f76e89516e66b4285250c.jpg

My first leather was a pair of Mexican loop holsters I bought from river junction trade company about 35 years ago.  I think they were under $40 at the time.  I still use them for my Bisleys. I had a cartridge belt made by a local saddle shop when I was in my 20s to carry a Colt new service in .45lc, but I used it when I started CAS.  I still have it, but I no longer have a 30 inch waist. I am saving it for my son.  

These days, I use old west reproductions money belts with period style holsters appropriate to the age of the gun.  

My first holsters (still have ‘em) are triple K cheyennes.  I cut their back so they’d fit higher on a straight belt.  

Archived