SASS Wire Forum

Got the '48 Dragoon

Slowhand Bob, 24229

What with so much up in the air I decided against the Uberti .45 Iron Frame Henry BUT did get a '48 Dragoon.  BY the time I got back to the store they had even gotten in a second '48 Dragoon but the but clerk refused any discussion on discounts for two so I picked my choice and plunked down the money.  Black powder shooting supplies were almost non-existent but the clerk did direct me to a small black powder shop very near by but they had little to nothing for the C@B pistolero so I moved on.  Will post questions later as the chance to go shooting arises.   

your chiropractor recommends you get the second... he has to deal with rising prices on primers just like the rest of us.

You NEED that other one. You're going to walk funny with just one of those monsters. Your gun belt will be down around your knees on the side you're carrying it, the second would balance everything out. Go on, you know you want it.Cartoon Devil Emoji Isolated On White Background Stock Photo, Picture And  Royalty Free Image. Image 91964834.

Didnt know there were four?  I got the one listed as a '48 which I understood to be the first model or Whitneyville Dragoon. Would have preferred a third model BUT took my choice of what they had.  Their other one was identical but had a brass back strap whereas mine had a blue steel one.  Both were marked on the box as 1848 Models.  My choice would have been a third model but the price just wouldnt let me walk away.  Perhaps later a third model would fill in an gap???

i think they are trying to get you to buy the second one - ill not disagree if your intent is to shoot them in this sport , but ...if you just need the one , well , i understand that too - i only bought one , i dont intend to shoot it for SASS , i just had to have it 

I do not think I will ever be able to do another match but do hope to go outdoors to shoot it a time or two.  I had a Walker some years back but sold it, never fired, shortly after my health turned.  No doubt it would have paired up well with a Dragoon IF one or two sets of suspenders were added to my belt(s).  I hope to visit home for a few days next week if all goes well and perhaps I can get a chance then.  Would also like to get that new holster made for it. 

Personally, If I had a walker or a Dragoon, it wouldn't be for Sass, but it would be equipped with a shoulder stock...  

El Cup: Where exactly are you going to put your off hand?

How bout a bit of information on the Dragoon, assuming that it is all equal betwixt the different models,  Mostly cylinder related such as what ball size, '60 Army size work  Also wonder if the chamber is any deeper than on my Armies?  Lastly, anyone ever have a problem with the tiny index cuts on the Dragoon cylinders, very tiny and precise, like those on the Walker.  Do these ever cause timing issues if trying to shoot fast?  Makes we wonder if old Colt had been a clock maker at some time in his past?  Not quite as intimidating as the big Walker but it is still a heavy hunk of metal, for sure!!!

I had mine about a week before i bought my second. Then my wife wanted two 1849 pockets. Im not sure how these cap gunskeep multiplying in the safe. I may need to separate them...

On 3/26/2021 at 6:44 PM, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

El Cup: Where exactly are you going to put your off hand?

Anywhere behind the cylinder gap.  Probably use it to run the hammer.  Walkers and dragoon use was not as widespread as we might think, but I believe when they were issued to a cavalry or dragoon rider, the typical kit was two pistols, two extra cylinders and a detachable stock.

I have a pair of the little '31s and would like a matched pair of the Police Model .36 cals (62?) that was built on the little .32 frame, prettiest gun Colt ever made!  When I can get back home I hope to compare this Dragoons cylinder to a '60 Army one to get an idea as to the cylinder capacity difference.  The Walkers power is always mentioned but I have never heard concerning the Dragoons, they were still rather large pistols???

Archived