SASS Wire Forum

Leon Thomas "a veteran’s veteran,

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.bakersfield.com/news/leon-thomas-raised-in-poverty-decorated-in-combat-successful-in-business-dies-at-89/article_595870b4-8912-11eb-84c8-d759074a6909.html

"I didn’t want to carry a gun," Thomas told The Californian in 2017. "I didn’t want to shoot anybody."

But the reality of combat — being fired upon in the heat of battle — forced him to change his position. And change he did.

Not only did he begin carrying the Army’s standard-issue .45-caliber sidearm, he also carried a long-barrel Western-style Colt .45 revolver he had bought from a fellow grunt.

According to Sgt. Jones' letter, a squad of Chinese soldiers was advancing from behind.

"Doc was about 10 or 15 yards behind me," Jones said. "He was armed with a .45 pistol. He raised up and opened up with his .45 and three of them dropped."

Thomas never knew of the letter sent with such appreciation from his buddies in Charlie Company until 2016, when students in BHS teacher Ken Hooper's archiving class discovered the letter and Hooper gave a copy to Thomas.

"He was shocked," Hooper deadpanned.

When a grenade landed at Thomas' feet, he dove behind a large rock, but nevertheless suffered several nonlethal wounds.

"When the call for medic came he went to the wounded, paying no attention to the ... machine gun up on the cliff chattering away at him ..." Jones wrote nearly 70 years ago.

Despite his wounds, Thomas made his way across the river to tend to the wounds of the platoon's radioman.

Archived