SASS Wire Forum

Spiller and Burr

El CupAJoe

I don't know that I'd be able to find one right now, but has anyone run a Spiller and Burr for a match or more?  I like the idea of a medium frame gun in the Remington family and the S&B repros seem to be the only thing sized between an Remington Army and a Remington pocket.  Anyone have experience to share?  

When I first started shooting there was a pard named Johnny Redshovel that shot a pair of these. He didn't win many awards, but then he didn't much care. Shot a Henry in 44 wcf and a Rossi hammer gun that he loaded from a canvas haversack slung over his shoulder. Oh, and the alias He rode a red shovel head Harley.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8626/category/321/category_chain/312,318,321/product_name/RH0120+Dixie+Pietta+Spiller+and+Burr+Revolver

18 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have one new in the box if anyone is interested.

I'll pm you.

I bought one of the first to be imported by "Joan's Gun Shop", years ago.  The Spiller & Burr was the Confederate knock-off of the Whitney Navy.  I had an original Whitney Navy, and it would seize up after a cylinder-full!  But the replica S&P would keep on chuggin' for three or four cylinder-fulls.  IIRC, it took a .380" round ball.  Don't recall what charge weight I used.  I either shot FFFg DuPont or Pyrodex P. 

One interesting thing about both the Whitney and the Spiller & Burr is the design of the rammer/cylinder arbor.  Look at the Ruger Old Army's rammer/cylinder arbor.  I've always thought they should have called it "Super Whitney"!  Nothing new under the sun.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

When I first started shooting there was a pard named Johnny Redshovel that shot a pair of these. He didn't win many awards, but then he didn't much care. Shot a Henry in 44 wcf and a Rossi hammer gun that he loaded from a canvas haversack slung over his shoulder. Oh, and the alias He rode a red shovel head Harley.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8626/category/321/category_chain/312,318,321/product_name/RH0120+Dixie+Pietta+Spiller+and+Burr+Revolver

Very classy!

Does anyone know if these commonly work with holsters that are made for other types of Sass pistols?  I don't think I'm going to find an off the shelf Spiller and Burr Holster.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:42 PM, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Goody, look who I found a picture of !

Horace

Johnny Red Shovel.jpg

2 hours ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

Goody, look who I found a picture of !

Horace

Johnny Red Shovel.jpg

Why that's himself! He was fun to shoot with. Had that shy little demure wife.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought one from @Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 and I'm excited to try it out!  it's about 2/3 or less the size and weight of my brass framed Remy .44, feels lighter and more compact than the 1851 Navy Sheriff's model I sold to pay for it.  Seems to fit my Triple K Cabela's 1860/1851 holster just fine.  

things I like so far, 

Size and weight, correct for a 36 cal Whitney/Remy family firearm unlike current Remy repros.  I handled an original Remy 36 at a gun show earlier this month and like the S&B, it is a very nice weight to shoot unsupported and much easier to imagine hanging it off a belt all day than the 44.

Brass frame, I like the looks of the brass frame, but it bothers me when it's not historically accurate, this gun was designed/built for it and comes with a reduced capacity cylinder and top strap to help alleviate some of the brass frame issues.

Much less work to tear down and deep clean than a colt, the colt has screws for everything, the Remy and Whitney/S&B take much less time screwing around.

If I decide to make this into a snubby, I don't have to figure out what to do to hold the cylinder pin in place, I just unscrew the rammer, the cylinder is retained by the take down toggle, unlike the Remy which requires much more work than just a hacksaw and remounting a sight. If I then drill out the threads and get a quick pin attached to the rammer, I can have a long handled quick detach ram rod on a short barreled gun and just keep the loading tool with my reloads.  

Haven't confirmed this yet, but I think it will behave better than a unmodified 51 navy with caps..

So for me, I think these are going to be winners(maybe more on smiles than score :D), next steps, try them out at a match, if I like it, I'm in the process of selling my truck so I should have a little left over to pick up another one, if it doesn't suit me for a match environment, I'll skip the second, but it'll still be a sweet hiking and range toy.

Here's my spiller and burr next to my ASM 58 remington. The difference is quite noticeable. 

20210417_225046.jpg

Does this spiller and burr make my Remmy look fat?

On 3/26/2021 at 1:06 PM, El CupAJoe said:

Does anyone know if these commonly work with holsters that are made for other types of Sass pistols?  I don't think I'm going to find an off the shelf Spiller and Burr Holster.

Holster for M1858 Remington (New Model Army) will work.  Colt's SAA should also, as the Pattern 1863 Army holsters worked for both the '58 and M1860 Colt's Army, and then also worked for the SAA in 1873.

14 hours ago, watab kid said:

i think i would like one of those - but out of stock/unavailable is a real downer 

if you can find them, there are also old whitney clones running around, steel frames instead of brass, I don't think the maker/importer was known for doing as good a job as pietta has done on these, but you get a steel frame instead of brass if that's more to your liking.

Archived