SASS Wire Forum

300 Grain Bullets for .45-70

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Anybody know of anyplace that has 300 grain bullets for the .45-70 in stock?

I normally load 405 grainers for my Winchester 86 and Trapdoors, but I recently picked up a Colt Lightning in .45-85-285.   It's the same case as the .45-70, but used, obviously, a less heavy bullet.  I've checked a few places, but they are all out of stock.   Can anyone offer any suggestions?

I believe Chey-Cast has those.

Acme Bullets make a 300 grain 45-70 bullet that really works great for me- they are a coated 305, I use them with 50 grains of 2f goex in my trapdoor ,

for plainsman- very accurate-

14 hours ago, Riverdog said:

Acme Bullets make a 300 grain 45-70 bullet that really works great for me- they are a coated 305, I use them with 50 grains of 2f goex in my trapdoor ,

for plainsman- very accurate-

What is your experience with these coated, as opposed to traditionally lubricated, bullets?   Are the okay to use in older guns, or antiques?   Are they okay for both smokeless and black powder?   

With smokeless powder you don't need any lube with polymer coated bullets- with REAL black powder you need some sort of lube with a poly coated bullet-

I use a over powder wad- then a Wonder wad soaked in SPG or your favorite BP lube - make sure you don't have any space between the wad and bullet, a slight compression 1/16 for goex - some people use fillers to make up the space- ie-grits- corn meal- granulated charcoal- It is alot easier to use a Black powder lubed bullet.

Buffalo Bore, Cheycast- I just got some from Cheycast - 400 grain lubed with SPG- 23.00 for 50, I can't make them myself for that- 

As for my experience, I have been shooting coated bullets from Badman since they started making them- the coated bullet is completely encapsulated - so you never touch lead, there is no lead in the barrel of either the rifle or pistols- makes them easy to clean- 

I do still shoot lead bullets in a couple of my black powder rifles - 

Archived