SASS Wire Forum

Bowling ball as a target

Has anyone used a bowling ball as a target?  I "inherited" my dad's bowling ball.  It is ancient and has no sentimental value.  It even has someone else's initials on it.  I remember him having this back when I was a small child so it is ooooollllllddddd.  Wifey doesn't want me to use it as she is afraid of plastic scraps all over the yard that the grandkids might step on with bare feet.  Doesn't seem to stop them from coming into my shed where there are metal shavings all over but they are warned.

I thought of drilling a hole big enough to put an eye hook in it and hanging it.  It wouldn't go ding but it should make a good whack sound and wiggle a bit.  I've seen video of other yayhoos that use them in home built cannons but I'm not into explosions that might kill you.

Anyone use a bowling ball before?  Results?

17 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Never have tried it, but I would be worried that as hard as those things are, and round, that ricochets could send the bullet in dangerous directions.

Good point.  I'll donate it to the local alley.  Thanks for the feedback.

Seen 'em used as targets.  They break and shatter, and ya got a bunch of pieces to pick up.  :mellow:

If you know a farmer who raises pigs give it to him.  Pigs love rolling bowling balls around!  Keeps them occupied, reduces fighting, etc.

My friend brought a bowling ball to shoot at when we went camping in the desert. I recommended we not shoot at it due to ricochets. He said he thought a .270 Winchester would just split it. He wanted to bet lunch in town the next day that he was right. I agreed but only if he put the ball out at 100 yards or more. He set it right at 125 yards. We had previously measured the area out to 200 yards. 
He shot it with a FMJ cartridge. The ricochet whistled up and off to the right somewhere, so I was right. 
We walked out and the ball was split in two. 1/3 of the ball was laying about 5 or 6 feet from the other 2/3. So he was right too. :D

The bet was a draw.
We opted not to shoot at it any more and packed it out in the trash when we left. 

5 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Never have tried it, but I would be worried that as hard as those things are, and round, that ricochets could send the bullet in dangerous directions.

Then why are bowling pins ok? There's even a whole sport dedicated to shooting them. I'm not poking at anyone, that's a straight up question.

2 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Then why are bowling pins ok? There's even a whole sport dedicated to shooting them. I'm not poking at anyone, that's a straight up question.

Bowling pins are hardwood laminate wrapped in a plastic coating with lead weights inserted in key locations to make them behave in a certain way, it's kind of like shooting a plastic barked tree limb.  Bowling Balls are constructed from hard Resin which can fracture, but also can make ricochets.   

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Bowling pins are a much softer material with almost no chance of a ricochet.

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Bowling pi’s are a much softer material with almost no chance of a ricochet.

Where does the round go if it doesn't penetrate the pin? I've never seen a bowling pin after it's been shot. I assumed they held up to shooting because they were hard enough to deflect (ricochet) the bullet

13 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Where does the round go if it doesn't penetrate the pin?

Depending on the power of the round, it sticks in the pin, or it blows a hole all the way through the pin. Occasionally it breaks the pin in half, if it's a powerful enough round.

21 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Bowling pi’s are a much softer material with almost no chance of a ricochet.

That depends on what you shoot it with. We had a Churchill SxS 12 gauge that it just come into the store, and decided to give it a shot. We went out to the 50-foot lane, which was the one that had the steel tables with the steel plates and the bowling pins on it, and one of us (been so long ago I cannot remember his name) shot. Number 7½ bird shot. And I got hit. By three pellets. Owie.

At 45 feet that light bird shot did not have enough power to take the bowling pin off the table, but it bounced straight back at us.

I've shot tons of 'em, don't recall ricochets being a problem. Them are some tough critters. Me and a buddy decided to see how much it would take to blow one apart. He was using a .72 cal Brown Bess musket, don't remember what I was shooting. We FINALLY blew it apart but it took and unbelievable  number of shots.

JHC

Due to the difference in mass between a bullet and a bowling ball, there will be essentially no transfer of energy.  This means the ricocheting bullet will go off at near its former energy, without directional control.  Same as shooting in random directions except the shooter is now a possible target of his own bullet.  Shooting bowling balls is a stupid idea, even if you get away with it a few times.

I've shot bowling pins off and on for about 25 years and ricochets are possible.  Birdshot as mentioned above can ricochet/bounce back, but #4 buckshot won't.

A club that ran pin shoots did a test and they were getting ricochets and/or bullet impacts 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the berm and this was a 30-40 foot high berm.  All subsequent pin shoots had the tables right in front of the berm instead of near the firing line which was about 50 yards from the berm.  The bullets were hitting the pins, but not always penetrating and would go off in different directions, although generally always down range.

And a 45-70 with a 550gr flat point @1200 fps does a real number on a bowling pin   :D

Bullets and bowling pins are ok, but shotgun pellets will bounce right back atcha!  I happened to shoot at a club once when we learned the hard way!!

I have not, but I did take college physics classes. Some materials classes. Some other classes.

This idea gets a big fat NO! If you can get someone to hold your beer, make sure they are behind cover.

And use something bigger than 5.56 out of a carbine.

8 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

That was my first thought!

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

Depending on the power of the round, it sticks in the pin, or it blows a hole all the way through the pin. Occasionally it breaks the pin in half, if it's a powerful enough round.

That depends on what you shoot it with. We had a Churchill SxS 12 gauge that it just come into the store, and decided to give it a shot. We went out to the 50-foot lane, which was the one that had the steel tables with the steel plates and the bowling pins on it, and one of us (been so long ago I cannot remember his name) shot. Number 7½ bird shot. And I got hit. By three pellets. Owie.

At 45 feet that light bird shot did not have enough power to take the bowling pin off the table, but it bounced straight back at us.

^^^^ THIS

Bowling pins shoot back! 

Couple clubs around here tried them and none were used again after the first match.

Here's what they look like after you plug them a couple times with .357 and 44

20210324_193121.jpg

9 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Has anyone used a bowling ball as a target?  I "inherited" my dad's bowling ball. ...

Anyone use a bowling ball before?  Results?

I've seen results in Nat Forest, makes bigger, worsemess than shooting beer bottles. Leaving the mess, of course.

Save it.  Make yourself a bowling ball mortar.  Find a farmer with BIG fields, make friends, ...

1 hour ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

With our cowboy loads, bowling pins will send the round right back at ta.  We tried it once for a stage and stopped after the third shooter.  

And it hurts like hell too.

being a believer in science since a bowling ball is round I anticipated ricochet. That is why we used a 22.  We also placed it well away from anything.  Sometimes we would use a fat and slow 45acp.  I figured a 9mm was too round and fast moving to be a good idea.  

Many years ago at San Juan's range, Blacksmith was launching bowling balls out of of an old oxygen cylinder made into a cannon. The balls must have flown 600-700 yards and landed in a ravine, lots of rocks, actually nothing but rocks. The balls barely had any scratches after flying through the air at distance. They are tough for sure.

14 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Oh, my.  SFC Hooks was right. 

"I believe a soldier could destroy a  bowling ball."

Brings to mind a story I heard once.  Put two railroad workers in a room with nothing but a bowling ball.  Come back 10 minutes later, the bowling ball will be in pieces and neither one of them will have any recollection of what happened.

Bowling ball is going back to the bowling alley.  Thanks guys.

23 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

Here's what they look like after you plug them a couple times with .357 and 44

20210324_193121.jpg

I used to shoot every year at Rich Davis' old Second Chance pin match. The biggest danger at a pin match isn't from direct ricochets, but from previous bullets still lodged in the pin getting kicked out by another hit. The dislodged bullet is every bit as dangerous as a normal ricochet. We were over 100 yards from the line one time and over a slight hill (at the pavilion for those that know the range) when a dislodged bullet hit my wife on the top of the head. We knew it was dislodged due to the damage to the nose from it's first impact and the damage to the base from the next hit. She wasn't seriously injured but had a whopper of a headache for the rest of the day. She keeps that slug to this day as a good luck charm 

On 3/24/2021 at 6:49 PM, Chantry said:

I've shot bowling pins off and on for about 25 years and ricochets are possible.  Birdshot as mentioned above can ricochet/bounce back, but #4 buckshot won't.

A club that ran pin shoots did a test and they were getting ricochets and/or bullet impacts 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the berm and this was a 30-40 foot high berm.  All subsequent pin shoots had the tables right in front of the berm instead of near the firing line which was about 50 yards from the berm.  The bullets were hitting the pins, but not always penetrating and would go off in different directions, although generally always down range.

And a 45-70 with a 550gr flat point @1200 fps does a real number on a bowling pin   :D

I shot pin matches years ago.  .45 acp Super Vels were the preferred round.  The wide bucket mouth gripped the pins and the hot rounds carried the pins consistently off the tables.

Howdy,

Ive been hit by ricoshays a few times.

Lead bullets can fragment and fly some fair distances.

Give the ball to some pigs and video it and put on that tv show.

They have a ten grand prize iirc.

If you want a fun target try a new full container of silly string.

Best

CR

shave cream from the dollar store? whynot....

Archived