SASS Wire Forum

Your first SASS brace.

WOLFY

That other thread got me thinking about my first cowboy action firearms.   Big-5 Winchester 94 trapper, both lengths EAA Bounty Hunters and a Stoeger that I bought used at Tabor’s.  

I still have that coach-gun as well as the EAAs.

(instead of bumping the thread- thank yall for the responses- such varied and cool recollections)

Hartford 1892 rifle in .45 Colt, 2 Ruger Vaqueros .45 Colt, Winchester 1897 in 16 gauge. Still have the 1897 and it runs well.

Started with 2 Ruger (45) Vaqueros, Rossi 92 (38/357) and Rossi Overland (12).

Still shooting the Rugers and the 92.

The Overland frame broke near the barrel lugs and I am on a second Overland with a replaced stock after cracking beyond repair.

---------------------------------------

First SASS match was EOT 1992.

What an eye opener.

First day of side match shooting, I almost went home.

Back then there was no training classes.

Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .45 Colt, ASM 1st Model Schofield in .45 Colt, Texas Longhorn Arms SAA engraved and checkered ivory grips in .44-40 and .44 mag cylinder, Springfield 5100 12 ga double. Leather from Cowboy Bob, crossed belts and Slim Jim holsters, brass spots and full lenght cartage loops both belts .  Schofield was worked on by Tom Sargis of Bozeman Trail Arms, MFG.  He only works on SAA's now.  Still have all, been used by my son and friends over the years as we shot SASS.  All are well used and still have a lot of rounds left in them for the grandkids to use.

Picked up a 6 1/2 inch Blackhawk in 357, got me started looking around. Uncovered SASS while cruising the ol interweb, saw that there was a club near me, several in fact. Said that you needed two pistols, rifle shotgun. Went pawn shopping, this time with a end game. Found a Hawes in 357, a Rossi and already had a 20 gauge Stevens 311. That is what I shot my first match with, at least attempted to.

2 Ruger Vaqueros in 45 Colt, 1 Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt, 1 12 ga Stoeger SxS.

Needless to say I've added a few since then but there certainly isn't anything wrong with that "starter" set. ;)

I had a 44 mag Vaquero and a sawed off Marixa (Spanish) SG. Picked up a matching Vaquero and a Marlin in 44 mag.

Still have the Vaqueros and the SG. The Marlin was sold after I bought a used Uberti '66 in 44 spec.

Regularly use the SG.  

BS

Browning B-92 .44 Mag, 5-1/2" Colts (1 ea .357 and .44 Special), '97 Winchester.  Still have them all, still shoot all but the .357 occasionally.  Guess it would see more use if I ever picked up a mate to it...

Two Ruger Vaqueros in .357, a Stoeger, and an Uberti with a 4th gen C&I in it.

The Rugers are gone, replaced by SASS Vaquero's with Jimmy Spurs race jobs.  The Stoeger is gone, replaced by a Fast Eddie SKB.  The Uberti is still in service (Shootin Sharyn) and has seen over 10 years of use without a hiccup.

Two 4 5/8 Blackhawks (1-SS,1-Blue) in .45. A Win 94 in .45 and a Baikal 12 ga, inexpensive leather, a felt hat with NO style, in 2002. All gone now.

Imis

Oh boy, mine was an odd combo. A  45 colt, 7 1/2 barrel, a J.P. Sauer Western Marshall 45LC, 5 1/2 barrel( I found in a pawn shop:wacko:), a Winchester 1873, 2nd model in 32-20 and a long barreled solid frame 12 gauge 97. Only the colt remains.:rolleyes:

DB:FlagAm:

A Uberti and a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 Mag.  A Rossi carbine (16" barrel)  with only 8 or 9 rounds and a 20 Gauge "Stoeger." 

With rather inexpensive and slightly floppy leather with a 4 or 6 round shotgun slide.

I tried a Uberti and Marlin 94 in 44 Mag but decided due to recoil and cost of reloading to stay with 38's.

When the Ruger Vaquero's came out, I upgraded to them.  Then got a 20" barrel Rossi.

With gradually improved leather over the years and included a shotgun belt.

Later a Marlin Cowboy with 24" octagonal barrel, then finally Uberti copies of the Winchester 66 & 73.

Hartford 24” barrel in 38, a pair of 1851 Navy’s 7 1/2 barrels in 36 and a Rossi Overland hammered shotgun using civil war flapped holsters. I sold the Hartford years later but still shoot the revolvers and the Rossi after 17 years, yes I also have four different sets of C&B revolvers and three hammered 30” shotguns that I also shoot. I did change out my holsters after my first year to a set of Slim Jims. DC

A 44 Spcl Colt, with a 45 convertible Vaquero, Winchester 94 Trapper 45 Colt (3rd one so far on this page), Baikal shotgun.  Sold the Vaquero and the '94 Trapper.  After a Coyote Cap action job 20 years ago, the Baikal is still my main match shotgun.

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

2 Ruger Vaqueros in 45 Colt, 1 Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt, 1 12 ga Stoeger SxS.

Needless to say I've added a few since then but there certainly isn't anything wrong with that "starter" set. ;)

My "starter set" exactly back in 1997.    :)  Several changes since then - Ruger NMV 357/38, Marlin 1894 Cowboy Comp 38 Spl, and 12 ga 97 now.

Seriously, I had an Uberti 1873 rifle, a 5.5" Uberti 1873 Cattleman II and a Cimarron 7th Cavalry 7.5" all in 45 Colt.  I had them for a couple years, just shooting in back yard for fun, before I finally decided to start shooting at SASS.  I bought a Stoeger 12 ga Coach gun to get me started, then a TTN 12 ga hammer shotgun for when I feel like slowing down (even slower than I already am) with black powder or Classic Cowboy.

I just bought a Cimarron Model P 5.5" in 45 Colt so my two match revolvers will actually match.  The longer barrel and narrow front blade on the 7th Cavalry model were just too distracting to me.  It's easier having the same drawing length and the same sight picture.

My first set of CAS guns were a Ruger 6.5 inch 3 screw Blackhawk, a .45 Colt New model Blackhawk, a Winchester 94 Trapper in .45 colt and a Stoeger 20 gauge SxS.I only have the 3 screw left which I had cut down to 4 & 5/8ths.

When I first learned about SASS, I had a second gen Colt 45 SAA. Cimarron Thunder in .45, Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt and a Stoeger that you had to whack over the back of the F150 to open. By my first match I had a set of .38 Ruger New Vaqueros, a Beretta 73 Renegade  in .38 and the Stoeger that was much easier to open by then. Unfortunately all were lost in the boating accident.

23 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

When I first learned about SASS, I had a second gen Colt 45 SAA. Cimarron Thunder in .45, Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt and a Stoeger that you had to whack over the back of the F150 to open. By my first match I had a set of .38 Ruger New Vaqueros, a Beretta 73 Renegade  in .38 and the Stoeger that was much easier to open by then. Unfortunately all were lost in the boating accident.

I tried to warn you about taking all your guns in the boat.  I told you that dinghy was too small and easy to capsize.  But you didn't listen.  However, don't you feel safer now without those dangerous guns in the house?

:)

My first match I had a .45 Colt Ruger Vaquero 5 1/2 in., a .45 Colt Uberti Thunderer 3 1/2 in., borrowed 20 ga. double, and a borrowed .357 lever gun. My next shoot I had the same pistols but I picked up a 12 ga. Baikal double and a .45 Colt Winchester 94. I still have the pistols and the 12 ga. but I now have a .45 Colt Uberti 1866, and several other pistols, and a hammer double 12 ga.

One Marlin 1894 in .45, a Rossi hammered double 12 gauge, a SS OMV .45 Birdheads grip with a 3 1/2 inch barrel and a SS OMV .45 with a 5  1/2 inch barrel.  And it hasn't stopped.......

Stock Winchester 97, Rossi 92 in .45 Colt, Ruger New Vaquero with 4.62" barrel in .45 Colt and a New Vaquero with a 3.75" barrel in .45 Colt.  All have been replaced several times over, but I still have the 97 tucked away.

First match:

FIE Arminius (Weirauch) .44 mag. (paired with a Colt SAA in .44 spl when SASS went to two revolvers, 2nd SAA acquired shortly thereafter)

Winchester AE Trapper .44 mag. (later replaced with a borrowed Marlin .44 carbine until the 1894 CB LTD came out)

Lucio-Loyola 20ga. SxS (immediately replaced with a Rossi 12ga. Coach Gun)

None of the originals were purchased for CAS.
Already had all three before I read about CAS in a gun mag & later talked with a CAS "recruiter" at local gun shows. 
The Trapper was a Christmas gift from an ex-SO.

The 20ga. was my dove & quail gun.

Two ruger vaqs in 45 colt,  marlin cowboy limited in 45 colt and a stoeger 20 ga.   The pistols are blued and cc with 4 5/8 barrels still have them.  The rifle was the 24 in oct. barrel, and the 20 ga coach gun.  The stoeger was real junk,  broke after the first year,  I was all to happy to sell that one.   I then bought a 12 stoeger and is still my back up I have shot gun from 1993 till two years ago.   Very sorry to have sold the 45 marlin.  Bullett 19707

Used Remington '75 7.5" in .45 Colt, bought a new 5.5" to match, Used Rossi '92 in .45 Colt and a Stevens 311 12ga.

And I'd still have em all and be using the Rossi if it weren't for that dang boat goin' over!

I've actually had thoughts of pickin' up a '73 in .45 Colt (shh, Capt Bill) recently, but I'm a pacifist now, so... ;)

Rossi 92 in 45 Colt, a pair of Uberti Hombres in 45 Colt & a Zabala double that I had to break open over my knee.  Stock broke on the shotgun at the 2nd match, I replaced it & that gun is the only one of the bunch I still have.

Holler

7 1/2" .45 Blackhawk, 7 1/2" .44 mag Super Blackhawk, 12g Rossi Overland coach gun, and a 24" stainless Rossi M92 .45 from a local gun shop because I didn't have anything else.  The pistols and the M92 are gone, but I've still got the Overland.

started on the cheap , a used taurus 34 colt , a new cimmeron in 455 colt and a new winchester 94 in 45 colt with my existing steven double , still have the rifle - it runs good , still have the taurus - it was tuned and runs good , the steven is in my nephews hand as it was my fathers pheasant gun , 

Two Ruger Montados*, 45 Colt Beretta Gold Rush (Uberti Lighting) & Stoeger  Coach Gun

*Wife bought when she wanted to try mounted shooting.

Archived