SASS Wire Forum

First match in nearly a year

Widder, SASS #59054

Last year was strange and downright bad for most of us.

Covid wasn't MY nemesis but rather heart issues and heart surgery.

Anyhow, I hope to shoot my first match since last summer.    Doctor thinks I'm ready to get active EXCEPT... No Shotgun.

I got the o.k. from Ocoee Rangers to join them this Saturday without having to shoot my SG.

Looks like good weather to visit some great folks.    I'll also be funnin and gunnin with my Henry .22

Look for me to come in last cause 20 second penalties (no SG) will be the norm for me on Saturday.

Come on out and join in the fun this Saturday.   Its gonna be a great day to shake out some cobwebs.

..........Widder

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not use an extra sixgun or rifle for the shotgun targets Widder?  An old pard out here in the west used an extra rifle that he single loaded for the shotgun targets.  Worked great using a big bore Winchester :-)

Glad to hear you are back to speed!

Widder, can you shoot the shotgun outlaw style so there is no recoil on your chest cavity?  I'm sure ole TT would give ya some lessons!

Kajun

Glad you're on the mend! :D

Shooting the shotgun outlaw style might be a possibility. Any chance your local match director would allow a "designated hitter" so to speak for the shotgun targets for you, some kind of arrangement there? That has a few fun possibilities. 

54 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Glad you're on the mend! :D

Shooting the shotgun outlaw style might be a possibility. Any chance your local match director would allow a "designated hitter" so to speak for the shotgun targets for you, some kind of arrangement there? That has a few fun possibilities. 

Widder, Red Knee might be available....of course you'd have to let him use the Enchantress! :lol:

Kajun

Thanks pards.     'Outlaw'   shotgun crossed my mind until about 2 weeks ago.

My B'day was March 5th.    Midnite on March 4th saw me heading to ER with unusual chest 

discomforts.

Test and more test revealed nothing serious.   BUT, 1 of 2 things was a possibility for my discomfort:

1.  Angina.    I was diagnosed with it over 10 years back and it got better.   Doc said its a possibility

that it was reoccurring.

2.  BUT, the Doc told me that its more than likely a particular nerve that is in the heart area

was acting up a little because I needed more time to heal and SHOULD NOT do anything that

might agitate that nerve.

In all honesty, I don't need the jolt of holding a SG at this time, shoulder or hip.

I thought about the extra pistols for the SG, but just to keep everything simple, I'm just gonna

take my misses on the SG and let it stand as misses.

Besides, BarKeep might beat me this time..... :lol:

I guess Red Knee could be a substitute... but I think he's getting old and slow.   :P

P.S. - for those that don't know, my surgery was last August for a double bypass and

Aorta valve replacement.   Well, after the surgery, I kept bleeding.

The Heart doc had to go back in me 3 more times to stop internal bleeding.

They said I was 'seeping' blood from areas they didn't even cut on.

The extra 'going back in' really set my normal healing schedule upside down.

YES, I'm doing much better now and can see the light at the end of the tunnel

My energy is starting to improve, along with my breathing.

I'm still ugly and poor!

..........Widder

Sorry to hear of your multiple surgeries, though I'm glad you're on the mend. I know of others who have used a rifle or pistol for shotgun targets after a similar surgery, but do what works for you.

Yo-Ho Widder, welcome back to the good times.  Take care & God bless pilgrim.

Jackrabbit Joe

Would the MD allow you to use a 410?

6 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Would the MD allow you to use a 410?

I didn't ask.   I doubt he knows what a 410 is..... :lol:

Seriously,  I can sense inside myself that I don't need any kind of 'jolt' at this time.

Although its been 7 months, I still sense some tenderness when I sneeze.

And I still have to only use my lap belt in the vehicle.   The seat belt stretched across my chest

reminds me in about 5 seconds that I'm still tender and very sensitive to the touch.

Apparently, cutting me open, closing me up, cutting me open 3 more times really left some

of my chest nerves super sensitive to the touch.    My Momma wanted to give me a hug at

Christmas time and I had to tell her to stay back... 'don't touch me yet'.   I was that sensitive.

I was glued AND stapled back using 44 staples.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I'm still ugly and poor!

..........Widder

Atleast you're used to it. For those that don't know it, Widder grew up really poor. They used to sit around the table at supper time and read recipes. Poor Ole Widder bout starved to death cause he couldn't hear good.

He always looked forward to Sundays though. His dad would take all of them to KFC so they could lick other peoples' fingers!

Hey, I don't make this stuff up...

Widder.....

Good to hear you’re gonna get back out there my friend!

Great to hear that you’re changing your shotgun technique from the old, slow, uncoordinated right hand mess to a quicker outlaw style!!!!

......Red Knee

Widder just keep on keepin' on as they say. Keeping you on my prayer list.

Have a super time and never never give up! Glad to hear that you're up and runnin'. Take care.

Glad to hear your getting back. 

Twenty seconds in misses instead of the shotgun would improve my times a mite.....

A few years ago, I had to have a kidney removed due to cancer. 15 days later, I was shooting our monthly, minus the shotgun. I asked if the wife could shoot it for me. Nobody objected.

Tell @Tennessee williams to shoot the shotgun for you. If he does okay, buy him a nanner split. If he doesn't, he has to buy you one!

5 hours ago, Red Knee said:

Widder.....

Good to hear you’re gonna get back out there my friend!

Great to hear that you’re changing your shotgun technique from the old, slow, uncoordinated right hand mess to a quicker outlaw style!!!!

......Red Knee

I'm saving my best 6 shots just for you!  

:D

..........Widder

8 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Tell @Tennessee williams to shoot the shotgun for you. If he does okay, buy him a nanner split. If he doesn't, he has to buy you one!

TN will cheat in order to get a free nanner split.    He'll try to use a pre-loaded 870.  :lol::D

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

YES, I'm doing much better now and can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Just make sure there's no locomotive behind that light !  :o

But seriously I'm wishin you the very best !!

Cant wait to see the new Widder-Borg implants on Saturday.

Seriously, it will be great to have you back. Glad you are on the mend!

13 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Naw don't do it Widder.....if he looses ole TW will pay you off by giving you more of them 10 year old 10 cent off A&W root beer coupons he stole! :lol:

Kajun

Archived