SASS Wire Forum

New Member here... Please be gentle, haha

Derringer Dan

Welcome to a great sport. Get well soon and join us on the range.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Welcome, Dan. Glad to have you on. We need more Dans around here. :D

The others who have spoken about black powder aren't kidding. If you really want a hoot that's the stuff to shoot. ;) You're in for quite the ride figgerin' all this cowboy shootin' stuff out. Enjoy!

Thanks Dan. I just might try the dark side in due time. In the meantime, I’ve got lots to learn and plenty to absorb 

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Your virtual tab for hanging out here in the Saloon. Right now, "drinks" are on us. Welcome!

Welcome to the Saloon. Abilene is correct, the drinks will be on us, for now. By Thursday next, your tab will look like a herd of 

buffalo ran over it. These folks drink a lot. Something they mutter about dehydration. I am sure you will fit in just fine. 

24 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Welcome to a great sport. Get well soon and join us on the range.

Thanks Utah. Hope to travel to be able to enjoy this sport with as many good folks as possible. Just one of the many perks of being retired!!

Welcome Dan, best wishes with your recovery & have a hoot with Cowboy when your able to shoot..get around if you can to a few local clubs & pick up a few hints as well as mixing with a great bunch of people.

1 minute ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Welcome to the Saloon. Abilene is correct, the drinks will be on us, for now. By Thursday next, your tab will look like a herd of 

buffalo ran over it. These folks drink a lot. Something they mutter about dehydration. I am sure you will fit in just fine. 

Appreciate the warnings :D and am looking forward to hanging out! 

1 minute ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Welcome Dan, best wishes with your recovery & have a hoot with Cowboy when your able to shoot..get around if you can to a few local clubs & pick up a few hints as well as mixing with a great bunch of people.

Yes Sir!!! Contacted the local club head and bent his ear for almost an hour. Looking forward to getting back out to the range. I feel like I’m going through withdrawals :blink: For the time being, I  will be happy just doing what I can to assist and getting to know everyone  

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

Welcome!

I'm pretty new here myself, have also shot in other sports. Just starting to dip my toes in reloading, I think the powder is supposed to go in the cases but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Eight pounds sounds like a pretty hot load... Glad you are here to tell the tale.

Thanks John. Just spat out my soda :D  Great analogy, I told one of my buddies he could call me thumbs but would prefer not to be called flash. Hehe  

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

BTW, which part of the state are you in? I know some great folks from the N. and the S.

Up north in the beautiful Bonanza Ponderosa. Spoke with a fine gentleman with the Silver State Shootists and I think I will be lucky to join their posse. Thanks!!

5 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Maybe you missed my question?

I did Allie, but just now saw and answered :D

I started action shooting in sports like IDPA.  The first thing I noticed in CAS was you don't shoot while moving.  Loading and unloading is different in CAS.  You approach the first shooting position with revolvers and rifle loaded.  (The shooting line starts at the loading table.)  Finally, you shoot complicated patterns on steel targets called sweeps.  Soon you will know sweeps by their names.  We are in a severe drought of reloading components now.  Hopefully when your body has healed enough to compete there will be plenty of primers and powder to reload.  You won't need CFE.  We shoot lead bullets.

I was attracted to CAS by the thought of competing with cap and ball revolvers - the first handgun technology suitable for action shooting sports.  I still shoot these but don't bother on rainy days for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure who I know at Silver State. Maybe Fanner 50, Jeramiah Jonathan, Jasper Agate, Irish Ike, Washoe...

I've not shot there; but have at Fernley and Roop. Great folks all.

I looked on the Silver State Shootists Website; but, found nothing newer than 2017.

Maybe Wylie Fox Esquire will be along. He posts here sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I started action shooting in sports like IDPA.  The first thing I noticed in CAS was you don't shoot while moving.  Loading and unloading is different in CAS.  You approach the first shooting position with revolvers and rifle loaded.  (The shooting line starts at the loading table.)  Finally, you shoot complicated patterns on steel targets called sweeps.  Soon you will know sweeps by their names.  We are in a severe drought of reloading components now.  Hopefully when your body has healed enough to compete there will be plenty of primers and powder to reload.  You won't need CFE.  We shoot lead bullets.

I was attracted to CAS by the thought of competing with cap and ball revolvers - the first handgun technology suitable for action shooting sports.  I still shoot these but don't bother on rainy days for obvious reasons.

Thanks Mr. Canby. Looking forward to learning as much as I can by the time I can shoot again. 

3 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I'm not sure who I know at Silver State. Maybe Fanner 50, Jeramiah Jonathan, Jasper Agate, Irish Ike, Washoe...

I've not shot there; but have at Fernley and Roop. Great folks all.

I looked on the Silver State Shootists Website; but, found nothing newer than 2017.

Maybe Wylie Fox Esquire will be along. He posts here sometimes.

Thanks Allie. I am new to these parts but am amazed at the hospitality that has been shown to the Mrs and myself. We are looking forward to attending our first match next month. The club has moved their range to Virginia City to what appears to be a beautiful location. 

Howdy, welcome, glad you're here and on the mend!

(I have it on good authority -- hak-kaff!  Har-rumph!) -- that Distilled Sledgehammer is good for what ails you, it helps you heal up, it makes you younger, smarter and better looking to boot!

(Wait a minute.  That's dark chocolate -- which contains isoflavones, anti-oxidants, and two or three other long words, plus it eases the symptoms of asthma and improves cardiac circulation!)

Anyway -- mine was gasoline, at a very tender age, please continue to heal!

Sounds like you dodged a figurative bullet. Glad you're on the mend, and I hope it is a smooth and speedy recovery. You'll be in my thoughts and meditations.

Oh, and welcome!

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Howdy, welcome, glad you're here and on the mend!

(I have it on good authority -- hak-kaff!  Har-rumph!) -- that Distilled Sledgehammer is good for what ails you, it helps you heal up, it makes you younger, smarter and better looking to boot!

(Wait a minute.  That's dark chocolate -- which contains isoflavones, anti-oxidants, and two or three other long words, plus it eases the symptoms of asthma and improves cardiac circulation!)

Anyway -- mine was gasoline, at a very tender age, please continue to heal!

Thanks Lin. Got a good chuckle, but I don’t think ANY thing could make me better looking. ‘Cept for maybe being dragged behind a stagecoach for a spell ;)

12 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Sounds like you dodged a figurative bullet. Glad you're on the mend, and I hope it is a smooth and speedy recovery. You'll be in my thoughts and meditations.

Oh, and welcome!

Thank you Doc. Pretty sure I dodged a MAJOR bullet, or three. ‘Preciate the well wishes!!

Welcome aboard Dan, don't worry about attendance, you'll find the club is just as good a place to shoot the sh*t as it is to shoot lead.

I will also second (or third) black powder, when you get to it :D

I like being self sufficient, so I mill my own BP and cast my own lead. Not only does it feel good tracking the round from start to finish, it feels good blowing smoke and sparks.

Best. wishes for a speedy recovery and looking forward to seeing you around

Welcome Dan. I tend to agree with Sue. We may just be the healthiest, dysfunctional bunch you will meet. Even if you cant currently shoot, go to matches. you will have a hoot. If you cant shoot long guns, try Josey Wales, an unofficial category using only pistols.  Any way you go about if, have fun. I love this silly game, AND get yourself a good hat.

Imis

3 hours ago, Snakejaw_Joe said:

Welcome aboard Dan, don't worry about attendance, you'll find the club is just as good a place to shoot the sh*t as it is to shoot lead.

I will also second (or third) black powder, when you get to it :D

I like being self sufficient, so I mill my own BP and cast my own lead. Not only does it feel good tracking the round from start to finish, it feels good blowing smoke and sparks.

Best. wishes for a speedy recovery and looking forward to seeing you around

Thanks Joe, with the  amount of folks recommending black powder, I might just explore what sounds to be a kick in the pants. Appreciate the well wishes and am looking forward to getting back out to the range. Cheers!!  :FlagAm:

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Welcome Derringer Dan to best game and folks goin.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

Thanks amigo! I agree with your statement 150%. Looking forward to getting back out!!

41 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Welcome Dan. I tend to agree with Sue. We may just be the healthiest, dysfunctional bunch you will meet. Even if you cant currently shoot, go to matches. you will have a hoot. If you cant shoot long guns, try Josey Wales, an unofficial category using only pistols.  Any way you go about if, have fun. I love this silly game, AND get yourself a good hat.

Imis

Thank you Imis. Sounds like the sort of folks I want to hand around with ;). Plan on attending my future clubs next shoot and have been on the hunt for some other clubs to look into. Due to both hands being burned, I need to recover quite a bit more before I can hang on to anything :blink:. I do intend to get out and help with the smaller stuff and meet everyone. And if it’s okay for me to wear a straw, I’ve got 3 hats :). Thanks again!!

I'm trying to picture how 8 pounds of powder got poured down anyone's back and ignited , unless the Wife/Exwife was out to get you gone ...

Anyhow Welcome to the Bunch of Ner-Do - Wells .  And Making Smoke, the bigger cloud the better is Heaps of Fun ...

Jabez Cowboy

2 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I'm trying to picture how 8 pounds of powder got poured down anyone's back and ignited , unless the Wife/Exwife was out to get you gone ...

Anyhow Welcome to the Bunch of Ner-Do - Wells .  And Making Smoke, the bigger cloud the better is Heaps of Fun ...

Jabez Cowboy

Thanks Jabez, the coffee just shot out my nose :P. Since you asked, I had a fire in my garage below my storage magazine. I put the fire out, but it superheated everything in the magazine. Carried out 6 single pound cans of powder, 15000 superheated primers (that thanks to God didn’t go off), then went back for the powder on the shelf. I had two 8 pound cans of titegroup that I got out one at a time, then went back for the final 8 pounder of CFE. Unknown to me, it had melted to the metal shelf and when I grabbed it, it tore in half powder raining down on me. It was already superheated, had the fuel, and I introduced oxygen to it. BOOM/FLASH and I ran around like Richard Pryor for a few. Finally did the “stop, drop and roll” and put an 8 inch contusion on my left arm. Meanwhile, Mrs. comes out hearing the commotion and calls 911. Twenty minutes later, I’m in a helo headed to Sacramento’s Davis Burn Ward and spent 21 days in ICU. Bottom line- Mrs. doesn’t want any reloading in the garage and I’m VERY great full to even be alive. (And for the folks at Davis) Recovery will be at least a year, but see an OT three times a week and am seeing definite progress. Doing this gives me something to look forward to and to keep my spirits up. Building my collection of historical weapons so I’m ready...   :FlagAm:

Thanks again for the invite and hope I didn’t go too far with the explanation. Cheers!!

1 hour ago, Derringer Dan said:

Thanks Jabez, the coffee just shot out my nose :P. Since you asked, I had a fire in my garage below my storage magazine. I put the fire out, but it superheated everything in the magazine. Carried out 6 single pound cans of powder, 15000 superheated primers (that thanks to God didn’t go off), then went back for the powder on the shelf. I had two 8 pound cans of titegroup that I got out one at a time, then went back for the final 8 pounder of CFE. Unknown to me, it had melted to the metal shelf and when I grabbed it, it tore in half powder raining down on me. It was already superheated, had the fuel, and I introduced oxygen to it. BOOM/FLASH and I ran around like Richard Pryor for a few. Finally did the “stop, drop and roll” and put an 8 inch contusion on my left arm. Meanwhile, Mrs. comes out hearing the commotion and calls 911. Twenty minutes later, I’m in a helo headed to Sacramento’s Davis Burn Ward and spent 21 days in ICU. Bottom line- Mrs. doesn’t want any reloading in the garage and I’m VERY great full to even be alive. (And for the folks at Davis) Recovery will be at least a year, but see an OT three times a week and am seeing definite progress. Doing this gives me something to look forward to and to keep my spirits up. Building my collection of historical weapons so I’m ready...   :FlagAm:

Thanks again for the invite and hope I didn’t go too far with the explanation. Cheers!!

Wow, that's quite a story. Really glad you made it thru!

Seems luck was with you for the second half of your adventure, Here's praying for your recovery may it be both speedy and complete  ...

If you are considering getting into the Real powder and don't have the follow the herd tendencies you might consider .38 WCF as your caliber at least for the rifle ...

It is legal for WB as well if you lean that way ... Hope you don't .   I shoot FCD . Making smoke to cause folks to choke .....

Jabez Cowboy 

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Wow, that's quite a story. Really glad you made it thru!

Thank you Slim. I feel blessed just to be alive!!  :FlagAm:

14 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Seems luck was with you for the second half of your adventure, Here's praying for your recovery may it be both speedy and complete  ...

If you are considering getting into the Real powder and don't have the follow the herd tendencies you might consider .38 WCF as your caliber at least for the rifle ...

It is legal for WB as well if you lean that way ... Hope you don't .   I shoot FCD . Making smoke to cause folks to choke .....

Jabez Cowboy 

Thanks amigo. I’ve been acquiring 45 colts. A nickel Uberti rep of the 1875 Remington Outlaw with a 7.5 inch barrel. Then a Pietta copy of the standard 1873 SAA, but with an octagon barrel. Latest acquisition is an Uberti 1873 20 inch rifle with the half octagon barrel. All will be visiting a gunsmith very soon for action work and, more than likely, a short stroke kit as well. My dilemma is if I should set everything in for the 45 special cartridge. Yet to be determined after more research...

Archived