SASS Wire Forum

New Member here... Please be gentle, haha

Derringer Dan

Good morning everyone,

Just wanted to say to say a quick howdy to everyone and to express my gratitude for being on this forum. I have been watching the SASS shooting for quite a bit of time now. I was heavily involved in USPSA and IDPA shooting for many years. The attraction of shooting historical weapons and the historical clothing that goes along with it finally got me to join. Unfortunately though, it will be about a year before I will be able to compete again. On December 19 of last year, I was burned badly when 8 pounds of CFE poured down on top of me and lit. I spent 21 days in ICU, but I’m grateful to God that I’m still alive and that I have all 10 of my fingers, both eyes and my respiratory track was not compromised. I get a giggle telling folks “I did a Bill Clinton- I didn’t inhale!”

I am very great full for my wife’s support and for the support from my Church and neighbors. 
Anyways, just wanted to say hi and hope y’all have a great day! Hope you put up with some of my crazy questions and my dry sense of humor!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Derringer Dan said:

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and hope y’all have a great day! Hope you put up with some of my crazy questions and my dry sense of humor!!

Welcome and you will fit in just fine here!:D

Welcome! You will like the place!

Welcome. Prayers for your continued recovery.

The Wire is a great place for your questions on our sport.

The Saloon is a great place for bad comedy.........often provided by myself.

3 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Welcome. Prayers for your continued recovery.

The Wire is a great place for your questions on our sport.

The Saloon is a great place for bad comedy.........often provided by myself.

Thanks and I think I will fit right in!!

5 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Continued prayers! And HOWDY!

Best thing you did was join and get involved where you can!

If you can still dress up, take a stool with ya, and go score or spot at your local club!

Great advice. Planning on going to the next match. Happy shooting!

10 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Derringer Dan, welcome!  ^_^

Now let me ask you a question:  Don't you think SASS should have a Baptist Category? ;):P:D

What’s that old saying about if the shoe fits? I’m feeling pretty blessed 

Welcome Derringer Dan :)

I hope your healing goes well and you can get back to doing what you love...or what you’re going to love. Cowboy Action Shooting is a lot of fun and it’s not just the shooting part either. Some wonderful people are in this game and I am sure you will fit right in. :D

D.Dan,

WOW, that's a rough thing to go thru.   Sure hope you continue to heal well.

Welcome to the Saloon and SASS.   Hope you enjoy the ride and maybe cross

trails some day.

..........Widder

18 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Welcome Derringer Dan :)

I hope your healing goes well and you can get back to doing what you love...or what you’re going to love. Cowboy Action Shooting is a lot of fun and it’s not just the shooting part either. Some wonderful people are in this game and I am sure you will fit right in. :D

Thanks Pat. Much appreciated 

2 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

D.Dan,

WOW, that's a rough thing to go thru.   Sure hope you continue to heal well.

Welcome to the Saloon and SASS.   Hope you enjoy the ride and maybe cross

trails some day.

..........Widder

Thanks and hope so. I want to stretch out a bit in the not too distant future. 

3 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

just do NOT look at your tab , 

we all have been using it a bit :o

CB :ph34r:

I’m sorry CB, I’m not always the sharpest tool in the shed. Tab? Lord knows I’ve pushed my spending tab... :)

OK, I'll take the bullet.  What is CFE?  My original guess, coffee, is probably wrong.

Just make sure you never misspleel anything atound here.  These maniacs will never let you live it dwon.

Enjoy!

3 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

OK, I'll take the bullet.  What is CFE?  My original guess, coffee, is probably wrong.

Just make sure you never misspleel anything atound here.  These maniacs will never let you live it dwon.

Enjoy!

Copper Fouling Eraser, it's a family smokeless powder made by Hodgdon I believe.

I also am a burn surviver. I fell in a fire when I was a wee little one. Spent a year in and out of the burn unit. Skin peels to get the new skin growing with minimal scarring. 

Anyways, welcome to the fire! Lol. Make mine a Jack an Coke. 

Welcome to the madness.  It will get worse when you start shooting black powder.

I apologize for my ignorance:  is CFE a chlorofluorocarbon of some stripe or am I guessing wrong?  Glad you made it through the ordeal.  You must be one tough hombre!

13 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Your virtual tab for hanging out here in the Saloon. Right now, "drinks" are on us. Welcome!

Ahhh, thanks Slim. Gotcha

8 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I also am a burn surviver. I fell in a fire when I was a wee little one. Spent a year in and out of the burn unit. Skin peels to get the new skin growing with minimal scarring. 

Anyways, welcome to the fire! Lol. Make mine a Jack an Coke. 

Thanks MS! Grafts are doing well, the donor sites are another matter. Doc says prolly a year before it all settles down. I’ll pour ya that Jack directly!

Just now, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Welcome, Dan, you'll find that we are not really a dysfunctional family, just a little weird.  Glad you survived your accident and I pray well into a full recovery.

Thanks amigo!

9 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Welcome to the madness.  It will get worse when you start shooting black powder.

I apologize for my ignorance:  is CFE a chlorofluorocarbon of some stripe or am I guessing wrong?  Glad you made it through the ordeal.  You must be one tough hombre!

No apologies. CFE is a Hodgdon powder popular with the USPSA crowd. CopperFoulingEraser. Keeps barrels clean of the crud. Burns pretty good too :o

3 minutes ago, Derringer Dan said:

No apologies. CFE is a Hodgdon powder popular with the USPSA crowd. CopperFoulingEraser. Keeps barrels clean of the crud. Burns pretty good too :o

Now we can understand my ignorance.  You gotta avoid that new-fangled smokeless stuff.  It’s just a passing fad anyway.  Blackpowder is for cowboys!  :lol:

1 hour ago, El CupAJoe said:

Copper Fouling Eraser, it's a family smokeless powder made by Hodgdon I believe.

Yessir!

Welcome, Dan. Glad to have you on. We need more Dans around here. :D

The others who have spoken about black powder aren't kidding. If you really want a hoot that's the stuff to shoot. ;) You're in for quite the ride figgerin' all this cowboy shootin' stuff out. Enjoy!

Welcome!

I'm pretty new here myself, have also shot in other sports. Just starting to dip my toes in reloading, I think the powder is supposed to go in the cases but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Eight pounds sounds like a pretty hot load... Glad you are here to tell the tale.

Archived