SASS Wire Forum

Ole Skool

That’s Cool, PM. :D

I had a 78 Yamaha 650 Twin back in 1990. It was a fun bike. Mine was the “cruiser” edition. I think I paid $600 for it. It had 7800 miles on it when I bought it. It looked like this one:
image.jpeg.909fc6ff1fd476f85e922a53e79a89a8.jpeg

I trashed the handlebars and put a low rise bar on it but other than that this is what mine looked like. 

I am sure the 79 had the same Ignition Points set up as mine had. Tell your son to find another one of the points mounting plates as a backup to the one that’s on the bike. Yamaha made these plates out of crap metal and the points hardware loosens up at the worst possible time. The points close and shut the bike down. After many adjustments the threads in the points mounting plates open up and you can’t properly set the points. 
I got so good at adjusting my points when it shutdown I could readjust the points in minutes with 2 screwdrivers and a matchbook cover to act as a gauge. 
The 1980 model was an electronic ignition. Maybe, if it’s a simple parts swap, he could convert it?

Those are tough engines though. I was told they were a copy of the Triumph engine but this link doesn’t mention that. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XS_650

I love that paint job on your son’s Chopper. Very nice. 

Archived