SASS Wire Forum

Loading LNLR shotgun loads on a Ponsness Warren 800

Jack Spade

I just got a used PW 800 convertible that I plan on using to load LNLR for cowboy shooting.  My previous loaders both had adjustable shot/powder bars, the PW uses bushings.  The load I found that closely replicates the LNLR load calls for 14.7 gr of american select powder.  In looking at the Alliant powder bushing chart for PW it shows the lowest charge with American Select is 16.4.  How do I determine which bushing will throw the load I want to load?  Anyone else load this load on a PW machine that would share their data?  The load I am referencing is STS hull, WAA12L gray wad ,14.7 grains american select, 26 grams of #8 shot and a win 209 primer for 976 fps.  I also need some info about changing primers because of availability I don't have any winchester 209, I have CCI and Federal primers.

First try throwing a charge or two with that bushing then weigh it. My experience has been that the bushings throw a lighter charge than listed. You might be pretty close to your desired charge already.

I agree with Sixgun Seamus.  Try what you have and see how close you are.  You won't be able to tell the difference between 14.7 grains and 14.9 grains without a lot of testing.  

As to primers, I've never found enough variance between different brands to be worried about which shotgun primer I'm using for a particular load, unless I'm pushing the outer limits of load data.  

My best estimate is an F1 or F2   But testing is required as Mark and Seamus pointed out.   BPI makes a conversion bushing that lets you use Mec bushings in your P/W,   Mec are generally cheaper and available in more stores.  Hornady/ Spolar,  Pacific, RCBS also work in P/W    GW

Been using a P/W for a little over a year now.  These loads are soft shooting and knock over the targets every time (as long as you hit them that is!).  

You won’t find this recipe in any book or website, but I did a lot of experimenting with a chronograph and a digital scale in an attempt to match the performance of the Win LNLR.  (980 FPS, just over 7/8 oz of shot.)

12 ga STS hull

Alliant Extra Lite powder 

7.5 Shot from Shootin’ Fox (Super good stuff. )

F size powder bushing

4.5 size shot bushing (15/16 oz supposedly)

3/4 oz pink wad CB0175-12

Win or CCI 209 primers.  Used both and could not tell any difference although I did not chrono the CCI.

Chrono measured 970 to 1020 with most being around 990.  Shot measured out around 7/8 oz.  

Like most things, the P/W can take some getting used to, but once it’s setup and cranking, it makes some nice reloads.  Good luck with your new loader!

0D50288D-76DB-4CA8-A159-B0353A6F78EE.thumb.jpeg.c4df9c42565bbbd8c7f2c5527e07f6ba.jpeg

31FDB07B-2AA8-4B13-9FA7-40A4CC3BC21C.thumb.jpeg.b636c4e57daa1aae2be34e4a2e6e18c1.jpeg

Two Shoots, how many grains of powder are you using? 

50 minutes ago, Jack Spade said:

Two Shoots, how many grains of powder are you using? 

It’s probably around 12 grains but since the bushings are not adjustable, I just tried different bushing sizes until I found the one that worked using Extra Lite powder.  

Archived