SASS Wire Forum

I can't find answer in the handbooks. Topic: .22 LR ammo (plated or high speed)

Mustang Gregg

I have been asked the question of whether the "high" velocity .22 LR ammo is okay for Buckaroos to shoot.

The very few Buckaroos that have shot with us have always used standard velocity ammo (not plated) as far as I've seen. 

Please direct me as to where in the handbooks I can find a black and white answer.

We have been getting lots of folks calling and asking about shooting matches with .22 LR since components are so hard to find. 

Much obliged,

Mustang Gregg

Standard velocity only.   Shooters Handbook   page 5

No bullets can be "plated"  Shooters Handbook page 26

22 bullets are often "copper washed" which isn't clearly addressed in the Handbook.  "Coated Bullets" such as moly or polymer are listed as legal.

Never seen a match where copper or brass washed bullets were not allowed, but then, most of the .22 ammo that has washed bullets is high velocity, and disallowed on muzzle velocity.

good luck, GJ

SHB pg 5

Buckaroo/Buckarette: 13 and under.

o Buckaroo/Buckarette competitors must use revolvers, rifles, and shotguns meeting the external standards but may be chambered in .22 LR for revolvers and rifles and .410 caliber, 28 ,or 32 gauge shotguns.

o Standard velocity ammunition for these firearms must be used.

3 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Standard velocity only.   Shooters Handbook   page 5

No bullets can be "plated"  Shooters Handbook page 26

22 bullets are often "copper washed" which isn't clearly addressed in the Handbook.  "Coated Bullets" such as moly or polymer are listed as legal.

The prohibition regarding "copper washed" ammunition was deleted from the SHB in 2019.

Much obliged!!!

Shouldn't the term "copper washed" be precisely defined first? This actually means a copper coating on a iron bullet or a steel case to prevent rust. But not the lead coating, which in my opinion would be "copper plated"?

The term was deleted from the SHB in 2019 due to the fact that the reason for disallowing them was null & void with the approval of metallic-hued polymer coatings. (i.e. difficulty in visually distinguishing them from illegal jacketed bullets).

There is no reason to define a term that is no longer referenced in the rules.

Archived