SASS Wire Forum

Anneal New Starline Brass?

Cahawbakid

I'm getting some .45 Colt BP Ammo ready to go. I am using new Starline Brass. I have positive outcomes and reduced fouling when I anneal old brass to shoot BP. Is there anyone who has input on Annealing virgin brass, is it work hardened in the Drawing process when made? I know many high grade bottle neck cases are done at the factory. 

While I believe they anneal the brass at the factory, we have had a lot of split cases on their .32H&R brass from my wife's revolvers.  Shooting BP so the pressures are low, but she had 6 or 8 split cases out of 100 in this last batch.   (Edit: According to Happy Jack above, they do not anneal.  :o )

I will say that I have never had any issues with their .357 brass (.38's are all once fired and scrounged) so maybe it has to do with the aspect ratio, .32s being long with respect to diameter, which might exacerbate the work hardening.  Still seems like I high number of split and we have experienced this with each batch we bought from them.  Once I get home, and finish the cleaning and brass sort, I was actually going to contact them about it.

PLUS ONE too Happy Jack

I don't personally anneal for "case life" or to prevent splits.  45 Colt brass won't seal in a Rifle chamber so I anneal to eliminate Blow-By in Uberti Rifles.  I don't bother to anneal pistol cartridges and I keep them separate.

I purchased Starline brass during the previous component shortage.  I got splits in the .357 mag brass during first firing.  Since I got the brass using a gift certificate I just recycled the split brass.  Once-fired brass I've bought on Gunbroker did not split.  I do not anneal.

I had a problem with some Starline 45LC Brass last year. Once it was shot, hard to extract "both hands on lever".  Then at the Unloading Table, the brass would fall out of the chamber. Since I had mixed some of the new in with some old and they were hard to track, I called Starline and they advised me that they do not anneal at the end of the process. (as stated before) .. Told me to try Baking them in oven at 425-430 degrees for 25 minutes.. and to send the unused new brass back and they would replace.

I have been baking all of the fired brass and now I am "not" having that problem.  Did try some new Winchester during the "figure out process" and it worked great every time.

Starline did replace about 350 cases with a box of 500  "fresh" brass. (haven't tried any of them yet since everything seems to work now.

They may have had some problems with a particular lot of brass "pucks"?  

Best of all, they were willing to work to make everything right!

JM

I've never had much trouble with new Starline 45 colt cases, but have had some new C45S cases split the first use and all have been fine since. Both calibers have been reloaded at least 6 times now with no further failures. I don't anneal.

I know that there was a note in .45-70 several years ago to anneal brass if using with black powder.  Been 15 years or more since I had to order .45-70.  I anneal anfter every 2 firing.  Works for me.  I anneal all StarLine longer than 9mm when it hits the loading room as new.  I have cases bought in the 90's that I still use in .45 Colt and .44-40 so think annealing helps.  

Archived