SASS Wire Forum

Colt Mechanic. Recommendations?

I picked up a basket case single action army earlier this week.  It's got lots of pitting on it, and has been buffed to a fare thee well, and most all the markings are missing.  The cylinder is not correct, and there is at  least one screw that is stripped out in the grip frame.  All that said, the serial number does indicate (if authentic and actually a Colt) that it was made in 1875.  

So, I'm looking to find someone who can help get it up and running functionally.  I don't have any illusions of it ever being a perfect gun again, but I'd like to get it back into operating shape.  So, which restoration/gunsmith is recommended?

There have been a couple of names mentioned recently.  Turnbull Restoration and Bill Fuchs at Spring Creek Armory come to mind.  From what I have seen, both places came make restored firearms as close to perfect as possible.  How about some "before" pics?  Good luck.

Bill Fuchs has worked over 2 guns for me and welded up a third hammer.

https://springcreekarmory.com/

296169074_StimulusColtSAAin38WCFFeb2021.jpg.f1169103bb9ed78632eb461c50d88b74.jpg700327894_Colt38WCFRightsideredDec2020.jpg.9ae0e656fb1ef01673b7549a6b6ab103.jpg

My first generation Colt SAA in 38WCF made in 1906. He welded up the front sight to correct height and profile and refinished the gun, tuned up the action, etc.

Run-N- Iron (ask for Lonnie).

See their photo gallery for pics of their restoration work.

Run-N-Iron cowboy gun services

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

There have been a couple of names mentioned recently.  Turnbull Restoration and Bill Fuchs at Spring Creek Armory come to mind.  From what I have seen, both places came make restored firearms as close to perfect as possible.  How about some "before" pics?  Good luck.

Here's some quick pictures.  

colt 1.JPG

colt 2.JPG

colt 3.JPG

colt 4.JPG

I love mudpuppies like that! Good luck on your quest! ]PS if you decide you don't want to do it. let me know, I am a sucker for the forlorn old guns]

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'm thinking,  find a 45 Colt cylinder.  Some grips.  And get it into working condition. Enjoy it for what it is.  Kind of a "rat rod". 

Warden, that was my first thought when I saw it.  Not a restoration, but just get it back in working order.

17 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Warden, that was my first thought when I saw it.  Not a restoration, but just get it back in working order.

I also noticed it is a black powder era gun from the base pin screw.  

Bill Fuchs specializes in metal repair.  He has welded up the notches and recut 3 hammers for me me.   Original parts are expensive if they can be found at all. Sometimes repairing the damaged part is a good option. 

I highly recommend Bill Kelly of Harriman, TN.  He know more by word of mouth, but he handles almost all the gunsmithing for Kirst Conversions.  He's the only one I let work on my Colts.

P.M. me if you need contact information.

Archived