SASS Wire Forum

Hell on the Border

Two Shoots

Just a shout out and big thanks to the Judge Parkers Marshals for putting on a first class event!  Glad to know they’ll be hosting the SW Regional in the future!  Great range, great people!

It was Sassy and my first time to the range and we were very impressed.  An excellent match and top notch facility.  Stage buildings were outstanding with good targets.  Parking was good and only around 10 minutes from many hotels and restaurants.  JP Marshalls do a great job and have such an excellent facility to make fine hosts for the SW Regionals.  We look forward to another trip to Old Fort Smith.

12 hours ago, Two Shoots said:

Just a shout out and big thanks to the Judge Parkers Marshals for putting on a first class event!  Glad to know they’ll be hosting the SW Regional in the future!  Great range, great people!

I hope they keep the SW Regional in March.  The SW Regional in OKC was held the same weekend as the 4-Corners Regional.  I'd like to attend both matches.

3 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I hope they keep the SW Regional in March.  The SW Regional in OKC was held the same weekend as the 4-Corners Regional.  I'd like to attend both matches.

Third weekend in March around Fort Smith can be real "iffy" to weather if you prefer 50s+ and no rain.

We were very lucky this weekend with rain on Wednesday, strong north winds on Thursday, then cloudy to sunny for main match.  However, early morning in thirties, fortunately warming nicely by second stage and finishing stages in upper 50s.   Could have easily been challenging if Wed and Thurs had pushed into Fri/Sat.  I suspect club is struggling for date due to the abundance of annual matches in April.  My bet is they will have to stay with March but maybe last weekend.  Not sure if Land Run will stay as annual in April followed by Nationals in October or consider Land Run as designated name for Nationals at one of two mentioned months.  Of course, October can certainly be a cold one in OKC.  No doubt, "Mother Nature" does not always make us shooters happy.

20 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Third weekend in March around Fort Smith can be real "iffy" to weather if you prefer 50s+ and no rain.

We were very lucky this weekend with rain on Wednesday, strong north winds on Thursday, then cloudy to sunny for main match.  However, early morning in thirties, fortunately warming nicely by second stage and finishing stages in upper 50s.   Could have easily been challenging if Wed and Thurs had pushed into Fri/Sat.  I suspect club is struggling for date due to the abundance of annual matches in April.  My bet is they will have to stay with March but maybe last weekend.  Not sure if Land Run will stay as annual in April followed by Nationals in October or consider Land Run as designated name for Nationals at one of two mentioned months.  Of course, October can certainly be a cold one in OKC.  No doubt, "Mother Nature" does not always make us shooters happy.

My understanding from last October's TG meeting is that starting in 2022, Nationals will be held under the title of Land Run and they are targeting October for the match.

I will echo Two Shoots.  Well run by great people and looking forward to returning next year when it is the Regional.  

My two cents: I hope they move it back a few weeks, maybe to the first week in April.  With EOT in Phoenix likely being in early March, it would be tough on a lot of folks to go to EOT and a week later be in Fort Smith for the Southwest Regional.  I know that there are many factors to consider in selecting dates, including: competing local events that increase demand for hotel rooms, range availability, other matches traditional dates and more.  I wish the Marshalls the best in what will likely be a thankless job, but one they will do well.

11 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

It was Sassy and my first time to the range and we were very impressed.  An excellent match and top notch facility.  Stage buildings were outstanding with good targets.  Parking was good and only around 10 minutes from many hotels and restaurants.  JP Marshalls do a great job and have such an excellent facility to make fine hosts for the SW Regionals.  We look forward to another trip to Old Fort Smith.

I could say it no better!

Archived