SASS Wire Forum

Iso real Win 1873 in 38/40 or 44/40

Original or Miroku?

(A.k.a. really-real or like-real?)

I have had 3 original 73s, all third-series made in 1880-1891 and in good shooting condition.  Two .38 WCF and one .32 WCF. I considered the .38 WCF guns to be blackpowder only due to the mix of iron and steel parts and the chamber/bore walls that were thinner than the .32.

Kept the .32.  Sold the others and bought original 92 in .38 WCF.

I made a mistake posting I found 1 for 4k I should not have posted that as I have 1 offered for 2k but find myself short of that much gold dust at this moment and need to sell off some more of the Ex-wife's jewelry HaHa

I guess the one I bought before I quit shooting and had Johnny meadows go through was a steal for less 2k back 5-10 years ago. Looks like I could double my money except the reason I bought it then is the same reason it isn’t for sale it’s a USA made 38-40 I just needed a us made shotgun to have all us made guns for classic cowboy. I’ve three original winchesters from the turn of the 20th century the 73, a mod 97 and mod 12. I concierge these to be the Crown Jewels of my collection.  Next would be my 2 USFA SAA’s and my Kimber 1911.

A friend of mine picked up a 73 in 38-40 that was in incredible shape for $1800.  A little shop in Wagram, NC  called Midsouth firearms will be a good start.  Gonna visit them Wednesday if there is anything there I will send a post.

I bought my original Winchester 1873 38-40 from 1880s at Rock Island Auction Live.  I also bought an original 92 takedown and 73 in 22 short.  RIA sells these at just about every auction, and you can pick one up, depending on condition, for anywhere from $2k - $8k

I have one around here somewhere.  I have shot it in lots of matches so it is a good shooter.  $1,600.  If you are interested I will look for it and take a few photos.

9 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have one around here somewhere.  I have shot it in lots of matches so it is a good shooter.  $1,600.  If you are interested I will look for it and take a few photos.

Having just gone through finding an old one, this is a real decent price for a shooter grade period piece. No dog in this fight, but I walked one in this neighborhood, and kicked myself for about a year afterwards when everything was going for 2800-4k. Just my unsolicited two bits. 

Archived