SASS Wire Forum

1887 Shotgun

Tequila Shooter

Just came from the Ides of March and had the privilege of shooting with @Preacherman.  Watching him shoot his 1887 got me to thinking (never a good thing) “maybe I should try one”.  Other than watching him there’s not much I know about them.  I’m thinking it would take a lot of practice to go from a SxS to a lever action, duh of course, but if I was to try to buy one what should I be looking for? 

Cimarron is about to have a new one in a few weeks, might want to wait and see about these:

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/314509-new-cimarron-model/

Chiappa makes a nice one for a bout $1400.

Avoid the Chinese pw-87 ones that came out a few years ago.

Gunsmiths can do a drop two modification if you are looking for a state championship.

As long as you can live with not being able to easily stoke the magazine you want one that Lassiter has worked his magic on. Hos mod makes loading more fool proof than Coyote Cap's but it also makes the magazine difficult to load.  Cap's design doesn't make it harder to load the magazine but it can be over ridden when loading two causing a bit of a train wreck.

AFAIK Coyote Cap is 100% retired. He turned his entire inventory of spare parts over to Ahlman's. A search of their website doesn't list any 1887 gun smithing services. ( http://www.ahlmans.com )

If you can find one, an IAC or Norinco is preferred. A close second is a Chiappa. Chiappa's are prettier than the IAC or Norinco 87s but they are also more expensive. Chiappa also sells a factory load 2 model but I have never handled one. 

All will benefit from the services of an 1887 versed smith.

Lassiter can make a PW-87 work for CAS. However they have butt ugly makers marks on both sides of the receiver. If you go the PW-87 route buy it direct from Lassiter.

As BBW pointed out later this year Cimarron may have a viable import. Only time will tell.

Practice both techniques and see what works for you.

BTW if you need dummy rounds for practice let me know. I make them out of Hot Pink or Blaze Orange hulls so that they are easy to identify.

My 1887 has the Lassiter two drop mod in it and I love to shoot it smokless or BP either one.  BUT it does take getting use to and you have to run it hard and really throw that lever or you will not get the hulls to properly eject and the next round loaded.  I have been shooting mine for about 4 years now and it took maybe a year of shooting it to really get the hang of it.  I just shot FCD with it at the Arkansas State match and I had not shot for 6-8 months before SO it took me about 12-15 rounds in the side matches to remember how to shoot it and not short stroke the lever.   Even then I short stroked it on one of the main match stages.  :ph34r:

I have 3. A pw87, an iac, and a chiappa. The pw had Lassiter work done on it and functioned just fine but was a bit clunky and butt ugly. I did the drop 2 mod on the iac and it runs ok with plastic or paper hulls but doesn't like to feed my brass ones. The chiappa runs like a champ other than the extractors dont like to grip paper hulls worth a lick. They have a thicker lip on them. Idk who did the drop 2 on it but you can't stoke the mag tube. It runs my brass flawlessly as long as they've been trimmed to 2.25" it took me a bit to get the hang of running an 87 but turns out I'm quicker with it than my hammered double. Which I havent ran a sxs in almost a year. Love the 87's

39 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Turkey Flats Jack thanks for the information.  I would want to run BP brass hulls so if your iac is typical I’ll know to avoid them.

Our Coyote Cap '87s run brass just fine.

OLG 

21 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Our Coyote Cap '87s run brass just fine.

OLG 

I’ll assume that it’s an IAC.  Have you heard of anyone else having a problem with brass?

Hi Tequila, it was great to meet you and to shoot together!  Yes, definitly gotta shorten the stock unless you've got really long arms. They really are fun, but challenging. I have 2 ans prefer the Chiappa.

Definitely a Fun Gun, but keep your finger out of the way when you close that lever.  That fish hook barb on the end of the trigger will skewer your trigger finger like it's not ever then, and then not want to let go!

7 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I’ll assume that it’s an IAC.  Have you heard of anyone else having a problem with brass?

Yup, IAC version.

I seen others have issues including original Winchester made.

OL

I began playing with a Coyote Cap 87 last year. It does take some getting used to bit is lots of fun to shoot. Mine does not seem to like paper hulls or brass hulls. It seems to be ok with Win AA and Rem STS hulls. Normally I have been shooting with a hammered double but have put that aside so as to get used to shooting this. This will be coming to EOT with me  but so will the double just in case.

Hochbauer

14 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

The brass hulls need to be shortened then they will run just fine. Make them the same length as an unfired AA or gun club.

kR

Thats exactly what I did to get them to run in my first one, which was the pw87. They still don't run flawlessly in the iac for me. Ill take the blame on it as I did the drop 2 mod and not a professional. 

I use an IAC most of the time and find it is particular as to length of SG shell. Lately because of availability of ammo I have been using several brands that are a little shorter than Gun Club or AA. They work fine as long as they are put on the bottom with the AA or Gun Club on the top. If I use the shorter shell on the top they will catch on the left side of the chamber. Don't know why, don't care just do it the way the sg likes.

kR

2 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I use an IAC most of the time and find it is particular as to length of SG shell. Lately because of availability of ammo I have been using several brands that are a little shorter than Gun Club or AA. They work fine as long as they are put on the bottom with the AA or Gun Club on the top. If I use the shorter shell on the top they will catch on the left side of the chamber. Don't know why, don't care just do it the way the sg likes.

kR

Right side extractor is steering the shell to the left side.

Reduce the tension of the RS extractor. 

Some Bic ball point pen springs work well here when shortened.

Make sure all screws are tight. 

OLG 

Could not get a sxs to work, but then I do have trouble walking and chewing gum.  Love my C Cap 87 and original 

Winchester.  Do use the 10g with BP when I need to clear the skeeters from the bay.

Sort of neat once you get the thing figured out but it does make some interesting wrecks along the way.  Needed one to shoot CC and sort of cool while shooting a long string, you can look down the barrel and it glows from the BP fouling left behind.

Brass shells -  instead of straight walls, start the into the crimp stage a little bit at a time and start to roll the crimp in a little bit .  
Only had to do this once with BP.   Brass shells also use the 10g power piston wad.

When reloading for the 87 resizing the base of the hulls with a collet style sizer like a MEC SizeMaster virtually eliminates issues extracting spent hulls. Given the poor quality control that most shot shell manufacturers have, I use it to resize all my factory ammo as well.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

When reloading for the 87 resizing the base of the hulls with a collet style sizer like a MEC SizeMaster virtually eliminates issues extracting spent hulls. Given the poor quality control that most shot shell manufacturers have, I use it to resize all my factory ammo as well.

X2!

OLG

Well pards I went ahead and took the plunge. Call me a glutton for punishment or someone who’s a little different. Outlaw Gambler was selling 3 and I managed to get one :D  Thanks all for the good information. 

Good for you! Now the fun starts! We will want an update. I am so sorry that I started you on this new path to frustration. Have fun and good shootin'.

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Well pards I went ahead and took the plunge. Call me a glutton for punishment or someone who’s a little different. Outlaw Gambler was selling 3 and I managed to get one :D  Thanks all for the good information. 

Outlaw Gambler is GTG.

He'll treat you 'rite.

OLG 

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

PM me your address if you wan a half dozen or so practice hulls.

I just talked to Lassiter yesterday and my IAC '87 should be on its way home to me any day now.:D

I have 3, the IAC, a PW87 and a brand new coyote cap still in the box where it will stay for now.

Archived