SASS Wire Forum

Revolvers - Colt or Smith & Wesson?

I'm gonna start a Ginger/Mary Ann thread...

Of modern era revolvers say, late 1920s to the 90s, I prefer the looks and feel of a S&W over a Colt. Not knocking Colts in any way shape or form, just stating my personal preference if I had to choose one over the other.

Drinks are on me!

Pre lock Smiths are hard to beat for quality DA revolvers.

Colt SAAs however do have their own wide mystique, following, and rich history.

Got to like both. :D

Just remember... one of 'em has cylinders that rotate backwards.  :rolleyes:

Y'all gotta decide which one~!   ^_^

23 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Which is Mary Ann?  Then I might make a decision.

1291819351_IMG_20210321_1503476272.thumb.jpg.89e7bd8241bb0fbac0adee8c2be8efc9.jpg

The one on the top is Ginger. She's bigger, and much more expensive.

The bottom one is Mary Ann. She's smaller, easier to hold, and nowhere near as expensive.

Once in a while Ginger is fun, but for the long haul, I'm a Mary Ann guy.

I have both and like them both but  I think the DA Colts are a little smoother. 
As far as Single actions nothing beats a Colt!  Just MHO ;)

59 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I should have been more specific, I'm thinking DA revolvers, not SA. Cobras, Model 29s etc. Couldn't agree more about pre-lock S&Ws!

DA guns?  I'm gonna have to throw my vote in for again the pre lock Smith and Wesson guns. Especially the Model 29 in 4 inch, blued.

The Colt Anaconda was certainly nice, but in my opinion the Smith was just a tad better balanced and the trigger better, crisper.

I bought a new Colt King Cobra last January, the first Colt DA I've owned. I have a couple of S&Ws and more than a couple Ruger DAs.

The King Cobra, I'll say, is a beautiful revolver; wonderful trigger especially. Great balance, too. Really like it. And-- I like the 'pull' cylinder release better than S&W's 'push'.

Well guys, I am under a handicap. I would say S & W for the Model 19 or even the 442.  But , there is that ugly but again, ALL of my guns are virtual.   Kinda hard to get a real feel with a virtual gun. 

When it comes to DA revolvers, I have nothing against Colt. In fact, I'd be happy to own some. S&W, on the other hand, I own, and would really, really like to own more.

From the factory, the action of a pre WWII Colt double action revolver was tops, hands down.  

That said, I love my Colts and my Smith and Wessons.  I prefer the pre model number Smiths.  

Two examples are:

My 44 Hand Ejector is exquisite, and letters to 1940.  

One of my Colt Police Positive Special revolvers dates to 1917.  

Love them all.  

44 hand ejector.jpg

police positive special 1917 rs.jpg

S&W for me. DA Colts grips just never felt right to me. Have owned a few over the years , one was a 357 model with 3-digit serial number. Wish I still had it and the Python for the value. Hindsight is so much more clear than foresight , just less useful.

Rex :D

S&W for sure.  I've had a Python and sold it because the grips never felt right for me, nor any other Colt DA revolver I've tried.

Be careful with those S&W's....one leads to two, two lead to four, four leads to eight....

Here's my little family circle of S&W DA revolvers.

Starting at 12 o'clock and going clockwise:

Model 25-5 in .45 Colt, Model 36 in 38 Special, Model 15-4 in 38 Special, Model 17-4 in .22 Long Rifle,

Model 625-9 in .45 Colt, Model 19-3 in .357 Magnum, 4th Model (circa 188?) in .32 S&W, and Model 34-1 in .22 Long Rifle.

SclxiE.jpg

As a rule I have always liked S&W revolvers best and Colt semi-autos best.  That being said I'm still dickering for a 1951-52 vintage Detective Special with a 2" barrel.....like Dick Tracey had.  It's like new and even has a Tyler T-grip on it and the original box and paperwork (including the price tag and sales slip)

Always have wanted a  blued S&W K22 Masterpiece in 22lr. They are beautiful and great shooting. 

Traded off a Lawman Mark III, my first DA revolver, my first .357 ... don't regret swapping that one off!

Middle joints of both thumbs are froze up and knotty and shooting that square cornered Colt was like banging my shin bone against the coffee table after dark.

My copy of the April American Rifleman arrived today.  The “I Have This Old Gun” column on the last page is about the  Smith and Wesson Registered Magnum.

Talk about a holy grail revolver!  The author, Rick Hacker, estimates it would bring $16,000 to $20,000 in today’s market.  The subsequent divorce would make it even more!

I seem to have led a deprived childhood. I only have 4 S&W's ((two .45 Colt Mountain Guns, a 4" blued 25(?) and a 67(?) (question marks are because I don't remember the model numbers for sure)) and no Colts, although I once had a Colt King Cobra that I traded for cowboy guns when I first started playing the CAS game. So I guess this means that I like Smiths better...

Smith & Wesson’s I love the older ones and the newer ones too...well, all except for the 60 Pro lemon from the Performance Center. So far I have only bought one Performance Center S&W. Not impressed with my one and only PC experience. (Irony)

2A328430-D947-4AA3-A1C0-8E32A07DF1AF.thumb.jpeg.ff733141c254eb934d4e9bf333b84f50.jpeg

My model 63

6E4BF8F9-3AE3-4477-AED9-D7A8BF4688EE.thumb.jpeg.c12468fb1871b3aec8a46f540b5201e5.jpeg

And my new model 25 that I haven’t picked up from the shop yet. 
660556C9-818A-4876-ACBD-7AEA08420F61.thumb.jpeg.fc693384f081af923feb77a04ab010bf.jpeg

I have the only Colt that I ever really wanted. It’s a Detective Special made in 1972. The really cool thing about my Colt, it was the duty / carry revolver of an actual Detective. It has all the holster wear and the dings that go with that. 

AE173C50-9A3A-4BA6-B72C-6096114B96FB.thumb.jpeg.dc1e17c0754037a06284afce92bb435b.jpeg

Ginger, Mary Ann?  Naw, I'll take Mrs. Howell...

image.thumb.png.6eeff6f3705c53df63699a05232272a2.png

People will tell you that these are built like a tank, but I'd like to point out that this predates the Abram's and I'm pretty sure the M1 was copying this...

4 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

Ginger, Mary Ann?  Naw, I'll take Mrs. Howell...

image.thumb.png.6eeff6f3705c53df63699a05232272a2.png

People will tell you that these are built like a tank, but I'd like to point out that this predates the Abram's and I'm pretty sure the M1 was copying this...

Actually, the more I look at this the more i think I need to get a Ruger Six series back in my life...

On 3/21/2021 at 12:30 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Just remember... one of 'em has cylinders that rotate backwards.  :rolleyes:

Y'all gotta decide which one~!   ^_^

It’s a funny thing. I forgot about this and when I was shooting my Colt Detective I had some light primer strikes so I unloaded the gun and then put the offending round back into the cylinder then closed it lining it up so it would fire on the first trigger pull then, click!  Nothing! So I repeated the process and nothing again. When I swung the cylinder out the cartridge was where it shouldn’t be and that is when I remembered Colts are backwards. :lol:

Archived