SASS Wire Forum

Them Thar Deadly Numchucks!

Subdeacon Joe

first time I ever saw nunchucks was in a Marine Corps mess hall in California.

Smartass kid, a Lance Corporal, came in and walked down a side aisle swinging his chuks, missed a beat and cold cocked himself in front a sixty Marines.  He spent a couple of days in our little sick bay next tom the barracks, and when he got he went before the mast and acme out PFC.  Charges were having an unauthorized weapon in the barracks and damaging government property (him) with it.

I felt bad for him until I did the same thing to myself with a manriki gusari a year later, but I was in my own garage off base and I didn't hurt myself as bad, just a lump on my cheek and a black eye.

No nunchaku in the style I study, and I'm good with that. I've seen more people injure themselves training with them than I can think of. They seem to have a magnetic attraction to the head and groin.

I had a set of nunchucks when I was 13. Solid white oak 15” long with a leather connecting cord. They were made by the Karate instructor at the college in my home town. He showed me how to practice with them and my friend Clay was his student so Clay and I practiced with our nunchucks quite a lot. I best the hell out of myself with those things...everybody was Kung Fu Fighting, ya know. ;)

One day my Dad told me to show him my stuff with those things. Knocked myself out cold. I got to experience smelling salts for the first time that day. Got to experience a concussion too. :wacko:

A few days later I hit myself square in the cajones with those things. I would have rather knocked myself out again. Holy crap was that painful. I had been kicked in the groin before but this rose to a whole new level and I did it to myself. :blink:

A few days later I was headed up to the college to give my nunchucks to the karate instructor. I figured they could use them in class. I was just walking along flicking them about when the town cops pulled up and asked me to come over to the car. I did and they wanted to know what I was doing with nunchuks. I told them “practicing martial arts”. Then they told me that possessing nunchuks while not in martial arts class was a felony. It actually wasn’t, but I figured they figured they would scare me into giving them up. And they were right. I did. I explained that I was actually heading to the karate class to give them to the instructor. They laughed and said “Sure kid.” As they were pulling away I said “Officers, if you hit yourself in the nuts with those things you’ll want to give them to the karate instructor too.”

They laughed and drove away. 
About a week later I saw those two officers and asked them what they did with the nunchuks. One of them said “Well, he cut them up into little pieces.” referring to the other officer. Then he started laughing and said “Yeah, he did that right after he hit himself in the crotch with them back at the police station.” Then he laughed so hard I thought he was going to pass out. I laughed too...but politely. :D

No nunchucks involved but speaking of marital  martial arts and such, this reminds me of a story from early in my career. 
I got a call of a homeless guy camping illegally on the public beach. I arrived about the same time as Fred and Adam, a couple of county deputies. They were talking to a wild eyed obviously intoxicated dude standing outside his pup tent. He was initially friendly but then, as drunks tend to do, became agitated in a wobbly state. We were kind of amused by him when he suddenly jumped into TV Kung Fu karate man stance. That was even funnier.

He then, with a hearty Heeeyah, attempted a very off balance spinning back kick. I believe it was in the Drunken Monkey discipline. I should mention that at that time, mid 70s, nearly all the agencies in the area had crossdraw holsters. Without knowing what the hell he was doing his foot on the upsweep (by accident I’m sure) came in contact with the closest deputy’s gun butt. This was before triple retention holsters. The snap popped off the strap and the S&W went spinning seemingly in slow motion (or maybe I’d watched too many KungFool movies) through the air about 10 feet before plopping down in the beach sand. 

He was immediately subdued with sufficient force to overcome his resistance and appropriately hand cuffed. At which point two of us broke out in laughter. The two other guys were rambling incoherently and cursing loudly as the pistol was retrieved from the sand and seaweed. A year or two later most of the departments switched to a strong side holster. 
It took Adam a while to clean his gun. :lol:

Archived