SASS Wire Forum

Please, please get a Covid-19 Vaccine.

I know that many of you are weary of getting the a Covid-19 vaccine. 

It's side effects are easily manageable.

But most importantly, I don't want to hear you have caught the virus.  :(

So please, get the vaccine.

Done got my 2nd shot a month ago:D

Yup ~ got my 2nd one week ago!  

My "honorary niece" is an ICU nurse in a major hospital.  When this thing hit about a year ago her unit became the Covid ward.  She's a young, single mom, and she literally "farmed out" her little daughter to relatives for weeks at a time.  The first-hand stories she shares of her experiences and observations are sobering indeed.

Please get the shot(s).

5 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Yup ~ got my 2nd one week ago!  

My "honorary niece" is an ICU nurse in a major hospital.  When this thing hit about a year ago her unit became the Covid ward.  She's a young, single mom, and she literally "farmed out" her little daughter to relatives for weeks at a time.  The first-hand stories she shares of her experiences and observations are sobering indeed.

Please get the shot(s).

Hardpan, please give your "honorary niece" my heartfelt thanks.  She's a true hero; an angel of God.

Doc said since we've had the 'rona that we should be OK with the antibodies we have in our systems for up to 9 months.  After that time, we'll assess things.

Thanks for the concern.

When I manage to qualify for it, I shall. So far I have tried four different "official" pages, two say I qualify, two say I don't yet.  63, BMI of 42, Critical Manufacturing (we do a lot with defense contractors and subcontractors) but per Sonoma County, I don't qualify.  Safeway says I qualify, but they don't have the vaccine yet.

Great system.

Wife and I just got our first shots yesterday. I got mine in the afternoon at a Giant Eagle Pharmacy here, Moderna. Wife got hers at a Discount Drug Pharmacy here in the evening, Phizer. We both get our second shot chance around the 16th of April. Mine has bothered me a little I think, however, my  sugar numbers were bad so it may have been more that than the shot. Just somewhat sore in the shot arm. Wife's hasn't seemed to bother her at all, although it's in the arm she's been having soreness and motion problems with anyway.:rolleyes::blush: 

I don't qualify. I also don't have a lot of interaction with the public. Or very often.

I also probably had it before it was a thing (yes, I got something nasty several months before there was something new), which was a while ago now. And if it was the 'rona, it was pretty bad.

I already HAD the virus. I got it January LAST year, before it had a fancy name and a press agent. My wife, a CNA here in Tucson, tested positive about a month ago. This is, while at work, wearing a N95 mask AND a face shield. I'm NOT interested in hearing about how effective masks are. 

Meanwhile, even though we slept in the same bed while on lockdown, I STILL didn't get it again. 

I'm not getting the shot, and I won't wear a mask!

Got my #2 Moderna shot on Thursday.  No reaction from either shot, other than a very small localized sore spot at the injection site.  Gone in 24 hours. So far, I have not grown a third arm.....LOL

Saddle up and go get your shot!

After 20+ years in the medical device industry I know what happens when any product is rushed to market without adequate testing. I respect those that have gotten it and those that want to, but I also hope you can respect my desire to avoid it.

2 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Hardpan, please give your "honorary niece" my heartfelt thanks.  She's a true hero; an angel of God.

Thankee, BQ.  The young lady is appreciative.

My old pard Hank's daughter; I'm her older brother's godfather.  She's called me "Uncle" since she was a toddler.  Her SASS alias was "Li'l Stitches."  ^_^

75194602_Janalee1.thumb.jpg.60df219ee641f496da71a3b50bed64cd.jpg

We don't qualify and never get the flu shot as the times I did I got really sick.  It was rushed without adequate testing , and the last time the army gave me an experimental drug to protect against Iraqi chemical attacks that never came, I had side effects the next 30 years, as in still do.  My son had the virus and I was all around him for two weeks and never got the virus so I may already be immune .

The shortest time from creation to completing human trials to put a vaccine on the street was 2 years. Not 8 months. Several medical professionals have said we are the human trials. Not getting one. If you're all vaccinated then why  do I need to be! Riddle me that bat man.

9 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

We don't qualify and never get the flu shot as the times I did I got really sick.  It was rushed without adequate testing , and the last time the army gave me an experimental drug to protect against Iraqi chemical attacks that never came, I had side effects the next 30 years, as in still do.  My son had the virus and I was all around him for two weeks and never got the virus so I may already be immune .

Or maybe you had some coronavirus in the past which was close enough you did not have symptoms. Or maybe you were really immune.

This is uncharted territory... If anyone has concerns about the mRNA vaccines, consider the Johnson vaccine. It uses an attenuated Adenovirus and it is a traditional and proven way of making a vaccine. If your concern is the "new tech," then old tech is less of a concern.

Between doctors, physician's assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses and others in the medical field, I am close friends or family with about a dozen people that come to mind. Each and every one of them has received the vaccine, urged their families to get the vaccine, and urge me to get the vaccine. About half of them can explain the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines in terms that I have to work to comprehend.

I am scheduled to get my first on Tuesday.

I am going to pass on this one.   I will let my immune system take care of it.   I will not get tested either.   Never get the flu shot too.

I use to fly quite a bit.  Stand in line, 6 feet apart.  Then sit on a plane packed full of humans within inches of each other.  Makes sense???

*** And statistically, airline attendants do not show a higher incidence of the virus.  Hmmm?

And I trust Dr. Seuss more than I trust Dr. Faux-C.

Wear a mask or don’t wear wear a mask, get vaccinated or don’t get vaccinated it’s your choice but remember that you will live or die by that choice 

For us, it is a wait and see. 

I want to see how effective it is, and also what are the side-effects, if any. 

Not saying I won't take it, at some point.

I never was one to jump into anything too quickly. 

I know I am taking a chance, but I am a geezer now, and I don't have that long to go anyway.

As the song says: "some people say that you shouldn't tempt fate, and for them I could not disagree...but I ain't never learned nothing from playing it safe, I say fate should not tempt me..."

W.K. 

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The shortest time from creation to completing human trials to put a vaccine on the street was 2 years. Not 8 months. Several medical professionals have said we are the human trials. Not getting one. If you're all vaccinated then why  do I need to be! Riddle me that bat man.

Irish, my thinking is this:

- millions have now gotten the vaccine with success so testing is now mute. 
- by getting the vaccine I’m part of the solution and not depending on others to cover me. 

Irish, please don’t think I feel ill of your opinion.  I don’t. Just want the best for you as I understand it. 

Not enough known about side effects, countries in Europe are banning the Astra Zeneca vaccine for side effects. When hundreds of millions have had their shots and the percentage of those with side effects are negligible, then I will consider it but for now, no thank you.

From what I've heard and read, the EU is shunning the AstraZeneca vaccine because some people who have received it have suffered strokes.  But, interestingly, the percentage of people who had strokes following the vaccination is identical to the percentage of people having strokes in the general population.

Also, the EU reportedly have created a procurement and distribution quagmire that has severely limited vaccine availability.

Now, I'm an old fart.  I know, there are a bunch of folks here older than me, but I'm still old enough to remember as a kid knowing other kids who wore leg braces.  Schoolmates, even kids on my block; victims of polio.

I also knew people - adults - with pockmarked faces.  Survivors of smallpox during their younger days.

Well... thanks to vaccines, we no longer worry about polio or smallpox.  

Indeed, the present vaccines were developed in record time, as a result of concerted efforts by the international medical industries.  Not to mention tremendous expenditures.

In agreement with Henry T. above, I'll quote the old motto of the Prussian Order of the Black Eagle:  Suum Cuique, or, "to each his own" or "may all get their due".  

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

From what I've heard and read, the EU is shunning the AstraZeneca vaccine because some people who have received it have suffered strokes.  But, interestingly, the percentage of people who had strokes following the vaccination is identical to the percentage of people having strokes in the general population.

Also, the EU reportedly have created a procurement and distribution quagmire that has severely limited vaccine availability.

Now, I'm an old fart.  I know, there are a bunch of folks here older than me, but I'm still old enough to remember as a kid knowing other kids who wore leg braces.  Schoolmates, even kids on my block; victims of polio.

I also knew people - adults - with pockmarked faces.  Survivors of smallpox during their younger days.

Well... thanks to vaccines, we no longer worry about polio or smallpox.  

Indeed, the present vaccines were developed in record time, as a result of concerted efforts by the international medical industries.  Not to mention tremendous expenditures.

In agreement with Henry T. above, I'll quote the old motto of the Prussian Order of the Black Eagle:  Suum Cuique, or, "to each his own" or "may all get their due".  

Exzctly that is what a true vaccine does, you do not get the polio or small pox etc..BUT this covid jab [ I do not call it a vaccine ] does not prevent you from getting covid & there are more jabs after the first to keep up with the different  strains..........

Got my first jab last Tuesday, second one scheduled for April 13. Sore arm for a day, big deal! 

15 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I know that many of you are weary of getting the a Covid-19 vaccine. 

It's side effects are easily manageable.

But most importantly, I don't want to hear you have caught the virus.  :(

So please, get the vaccine.

I'm going to be part of the control group.

I'm leave the house once a week on Sunday's.  Church then take the wife out to eat.

Wife's out of the house 4 to 6 days every week.

Wife wears a mask every time she leaves the car.  I don't.

Two months ago she lost her sense of smell.  At her request I took her to be tested.  Positive for the China Flu.  I didn't test.

We self quarantined for the two weeks.

A year ago November they took my Gall Blander out.  Evidently I had sufficient residue from all the antibiotics they had pumped into me because, to date, I haven't gotten the China Flu.  Now saying that I've taken the same precautions I due every flue season.  Watch what I touch, wash hands frequently with HOT water, keep the hands away from the face and stuff like that.

I found one restaurant we ate at rather humorous.  Tables removed or stacked to reduce capacity to 25%.  Plexiglas in front of the Cashier.  All the employees wearing face masks properly.  No condiments or place matts on the tables.  Our table hadn't dried from the disinfectant the bus boy had hosed it down with.  The funny parts;  Our Hostess accidentally dropped one of our menus on the floor.  She picked it back up and try to hand it to me.  The other funny was the credit card reader at the Cashier that every customer before me had touch.

I'm walking down a sidewalk with my five year old grandson hanging onto my finger.  Grandson lets go of my finger.  I look down at him to tell him that he needs to hang onto my finger!  He's busy digging a booger out of his nose.  When he's finished he offers me his hand.  We switch sides so he can hold my other finger with his other hand.  Just use common sense, I figure, when dealing with flu and grandchildren. 

12 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Flu.thumb.JPG.94f7b68db2a55fe4555e9e9188f9f324.JPG

Archived