SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 550C, JUST IN TIME!!!

Bisley Joe

So I got my Dillon 550C just in time.... for all this insanity. So until everything cools down, if it ever does, it's just gonna sit sealed up in its box in the closet. No way I'm paying the ridiculous prices of those components that can even be found!

Just figured I'd cry a little here...:(

Cast bullets are available now.  I usually buy in the winter so there is no risk of lube melting off during shipping.  Chey Cast and Colorado Cast Bullets both can fill orders promptly.

If you look just about everything can be sourced reasonably but primers . Luck into some of those and your set .

Cast cowboy bullets can be had from many sources, somebody is always selling brass here , and I’ve recently bought powder for non gouge prices from Brownells and mid south . I’ve been looking for rifle powder but handgun/shotgun is what I run across most 

Just a thought here about primers, the most I've seen was $9.99 for 100, that's $99.99 for 1000. Okay so that is outrageous but if you figure it out that's .10 a round for primers, figure in the powder and bullets (Brass can't really be counted since you use it so many times) So instead of reloading 50 rounds for about $5.00 when primers were $.03 a round it'll cost you $7.00 or $8.00 for 50. Heck even $9.00 for a box of 50 is a helluva lot cheaper than factory!

Just MHO

16 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Just a thought here about primers, the most I've seen was $9.99 for 100, that's $99.99 for 1000. Okay so that is outrageous but if you figure it out that's .10 a round for primers, figure in the powder and bullets (Brass can't really be counted since you use it so many times) So instead of reloading 50 rounds for about $5.00 when primers were $.03 a round it'll cost you $7.00 or $8.00 for 50. Heck even $9.00 for a box of 50 is a helluva lot cheaper than factory!

Just MHO

$99 is actually pretty good compared to what I have seen them go for on gunbroker 

Called a local club here in the middle GA area to ask about primers, as I heard they had some. I need Lg PIstols, and SG. They had Small pistol and Lg pistol magnum, nothing else. Ok, I don't need Magnums but, ok how much are they? She tells me $150 per 1000! I almost dropped the phone. That's more than double what they were there a couple months ago and I didn't want to pay $70 for them then! I'll stop shootin before I'll get gouged. So angry at all this crap!

feel your pain --i decided to load a new cartridge this past year , the components were easy before a year ago ....and i decided to wait for a spring gunshow to get my primers , only thing i need , im like you............just waiting , 

life is good , i have what i need for my previous cartridge , ill get by as i always have and be happy - i can wait to play with the new , 

i was also holding on the shotgun i was wanting to load for lack of primers but ...i found 600 so ill do that instead , 

11 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

$99 is actually pretty good compared to what I have seen them go for on gunbroker 

I've seen 'em for $300 and more on gunbroker! Unbelievable!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 6:21 PM, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

Joe,

What caliber will you be loading?  Others here might have what you are looking for.

Horace

I would reload 45 Colt and 38 special. Also 12 gauge (have always wanted brass shells!)

On 3/20/2021 at 1:08 AM, Bisley Joe said:

So I got my Dillon 550C just in time.... for all this insanity. So until everything cools down, if it ever does, it's just gonna sit sealed up in its box in the closet. No way I'm paying the ridiculous prices of those components that can even be found!

I feel your pain.

I shoot 44-40 in BP so factory ammo is rarely an option. I've enjoyed casting and reloading but after a year of going through my reserves am now down to my last 1500ish primers. I'm just hanging on now, saving them for friends and a few rainy days at the range, who knows how long this will last.

The game will go on... eventually :unsure:

On 3/22/2021 at 5:16 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've seen 'em for $300 and more on gunbroker! Unbelievable!!

I saw them for that, and up, at a gunshow in February no far from here.

You can still by the other components when you find them at a decent price and be prepared for when primers are more readily available.  You can get bullets although some vendors may take a couple of months but you'll have them when you're  ready.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:08 PM, Bisley Joe said:

We all feel the pain. Just remember two things: 1- all this crap will come to an end, and 2- don’t throw away your Dillon box. In the event it might need servicing or if you need to relocate, the box is indispensable. I had to borrow one for my last move :wacko: 

Archived