SASS Wire Forum

Model 66 Smiths... I Need Help!

Cholla

I recently bought a Uberti 66 in .22 LR.

When I first bought it it cycled most times but at time the bolt would jamb. It was dry and dirty inside so I took it apart and cleaned it. Now it jambs every time.

From what I see the lifter is not going high enough to allow the bolt through the channel. I do not see a way to adjust it to go higher. If I push it higher from below, I can get it to work.

Ideas? I have watched some YouTube videos but they do nothing but show that I have it assembled correctly.

I also see two small nicks in the lifter where the bullet rests. I assume they are from wear from the cartridges being pushed in. I was going to hone them out but wanted to check first as the bolt does catch on them if I work the action slowly and guide thing through the cycle.

The carrier spring is either loose or weak, or the end of it is not riding on the lever cam, or maybe the cam is worn out.  Try tightening the screw on the bottom  first.

What Abilene said.  If it was me I’d open it up and start with checking to make sure the spring is fully on the lever cam, then tighten it and see if that does the trick.

And here I thought you were going to talk abut my favorite S&W pistol!

A shelf on the front radius of the lever engages the bottom of the Carrier Block Arm to push the carrier into position.  Open the lever all the way and check the carrier rise.  The arm may be bent or need to be bent (slightly).  The spring to the carrier block arm holds the carrier block in the full "UP" position.  If that spring is worn, or not engaging the notch in the arm, it may allow the carrier to drop out of position, jamming the bolt.

20 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

A shelf on the front radius of the lever engages the bottom of the Carrier Block Arm to push the carrier into position.  Open the lever all the way and check the carrier rise.  The arm may be bent or need to be bent (slightly).  The spring to the carrier block arm holds the carrier block in the full "UP" position.  If that spring is worn, or not engaging the notch in the arm, it may allow the carrier to drop out of position, jamming the bolt.

I checked the spring. It is engaging the notch of the lifter arm. When I open the lever all the way the lifter is high enough, but in doing so the lifter spring is being pulled which straightens it. As soon as I release the lever, the spring flexes back which lowers the lifter 3/16".

First, look at the back of the Lifter Arm Side Spring.  It is not radius'd to match the curve of the frame and the Spring is "cocked" just a little bit preventing it from tightening down properly.  Fix that Radius.  Next, the Spring should slide into the "V" notch so it bears on the back of the "V."  You may need a small flat filed in the surface of the spring that engages the V.  The back surface of the V may also be worn and need cleaning up.

I am heading out of town so I will investigate this later in the week. Thanks.

Archived