SASS Wire Forum

Your Bedtime Gun

What gun do you have beside you at night while you're sleeping?  The gun you grab when the Boogers are in the house.

Mine is my S&W revolver in .45 Colt.  Since I'd just got into CAS and was reloading 45 Colt cartridges, I thought I'd shoot a 45 more often.  I bought the S&W in 2005 to replace the 38 Special revolver I had in the bed stand.  I've only grabbed it once at night when we heard something what sounded suspicious.  It was a false alarm, but I did feel ready with the  S&W 45 in my hands.

Just before I went to buy the S&W, my wife asked, "Won't your 38 stop them?" 

I replied, "Yes.  But the 45 will have them going the other way!"

S&W Model 625 "Mountain Gun" in 45 Colt

GvfcxQ.jpg

0CtL6e.jpg

S&

870 Remington with a Bullpup conversion. Much more compact and easier to move with indoors than a full length 870 and still packs 6 rounds of 12 ga. And nothing says wrong house like the sound of a pump being racked in the dark.

Next to the bed is a Sig2022 9mm with Surefire light attached. I want that long DA trigger pull for the middle of the night. If I have time, my Remington 870 with 7 rounds of #4 Buck.

My side...a 40 cal semi auto and a short barrel 12 gauge. Her side a Judge

632E783E-E15F-46B4-A7F0-0AA5FF4A7485.thumb.jpeg.742e50ab3ed2126eabc364f5b7e1d086.jpeg

S&W Model 10, 4” heavy barrel, .38 Special, made in 1981, pinned barrel.

If you gotta defend yourself might as well do it with class.

22 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

632E783E-E15F-46B4-A7F0-0AA5FF4A7485.thumb.jpeg.742e50ab3ed2126eabc364f5b7e1d086.jpeg

S&W Model 10, 4” heavy barrel, .38 Special, made in 1981, pinned barrel.

If you gotta defend yourself might as well do it with class.

My wife's bedtime gun is similar.   She also believes to "do it with class."  She had me change from to factory wood grips to these so "it'll look pretty and more feminine."

S&W Model 15-4 "Combat Masterpiece" in 38 Special with Altamont faux pearl grips

GQ6wxm.jpg

I don’t own any firearms!!

But if I did, it would be a Para Ordnance 13/45 with Hornady Critical Duty 185gr stacked to the gills and one in the pipe.

Standing next to the bed would be a Mossberg 835 with an 8 round mag tube full of 3.5” #1 Buckshot shells.

I keep my Feinstein repellent loaded with 55 grain freedom pills.  But the charter arms pro v, .357 has a full belly of disagreeable Hornady 125 gr xtp's for extra illumination in darkness. Multiple flashlights close to hand as well. Once the 92 has been vetted, it might sit on the wife's side of the bed.

Glock 43 which is also my EDC. My Colt 1911 ser. 80 is tempting for night duty, but at the moment, Glock usage has caused my muscle memory for the 1911 manual safety to atrophy. Would have to practice a lot with it in condition one before I'd feel comfortable with it for self defense.

As an aside, I struggle with shooting my S&W m10 in DA mode and doubt I could shoot it well in a panic situation. I'm envious of those of you who can. That's why I prefer a bottom feeder for self-defense. 

normally dont answer these threads but tonight i felt it was needed - i have a sig 1911 under my pillow at night , i cant figure why anyone would invade the privacy of another but then id not wear a mask to hold up a stage or the local bank either so i guess im not that far out of line ????

Close to hand is a heavy, stainless GP100 .357 stoked with "Cowboy .38's."

Heavy enough to use as a club and no bluing to be messed up by splatters.  The Cowboy loads are not so accurate out of this piece, but perfectly adequate up close and less likely to put down the neighbor's sleeping dog in the middle of the night.  :rolleyes:

For the record....... my dog and phone to call 911.

I've never bought a gun to shoot someone.   Only for target practice, CAS and some 4-legged critters.

On the other hand, if my .460 Rowland happens to discharge while I'm putting it in the safe,

I can't be responsible for any 'collateral' damage.  ;)

..........Widder

If they get past the German Shepherd in the living room, and the other German Shepherd in the bedroom, I've got a 3 inch GP100 next to the bed.

My Colt Officers Model 45acp, and the Rottweiler. Thinking of switching out to my S&W .357 however. I won't have to remember if I left one in the chamber or not during the adrenaline of a break-in. Only had to bring the 45 to the door once at 2:00 AM and it was a cop! Looking for someone other than me I guess.

Even though I carried a Glock on duty for 17 years, I never wanted a gun with a light trigger Glock or 1911 for night. I wanted something with a longer trigger pull for when I would be woke up in the middle of the night.

17 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

A little psychological warfare sure helps!

Want to induce a cardiac event?  Put a recording of another gun being racked at the other end of the house and have a remote control for it.  Rake one wait about two seconds then push the button.

Archived