SASS Wire Forum

Dixie Pietta Remington New model Army

Lunger Dan

..I just bought one from Dixie Gun Works.....I have zero black powder pistol experience. (I do shoot BP in my shotgun shells)
Capper, measure, etc...what are the basics I can get by with just to start playing with it-not use in Shoots yet-or maybe ever. I just got the bug in my head to get one and knee jerk purchased it.
I do have some CCI #10s and CCI # 11s

Round balls .454 diameter. Powder measure. Wonder wads or lube to seal the chambers. Powder, FFg. Capper is nice, but not necessary. If you do buy one be sure it is compatible with the Remington design.

Without modifications to the gun a capper is hard to find unless you get a Polish Capper, they work well.  Springfield Slim sells round balls, good quality and price.  A powder measure, and lubed wads as Goody said.

lots of good videos from Blackie Thomas and duelist 1954, not all of it is useful for sass, but I sure enjoy watching them

10 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I use a Ted Nash straight capper and no need to modify the gun or the capper. The stock nipples should be replaced with Tresco or Slix.

Thats good to know, I was going to buy one of the snail looking ones at sportsmans, but didnt know how to tell which one fit..
As far as the nipples go-with this shortage, I have 400 #10 ccis' and only 200 #11M ccis..so Im hoping to figure out which aftermarket nipples will accomodate the # 10s..just yesterday figured out that there is no universal thread or them-not universal cap size.

This goes against the popular advice these days, but I am old & don’t care as much as I used to. :-) I don’t shoot CAS now, but when I did shoot a pair of 1858 Remington replicas, I never replaced the nipples that came with them (ASM & Pietta). From around 2000 until my last match in 2012, (In the interest of full disclosure, I only shot once or twice a month).  They worked fine for me. So unless you want to replace them before you start, you might want to try the stock ones for a while.  (I also used the straight capper, as it worked well.)

On 3/19/2021 at 5:38 AM, Lunger Dan said:

Thats good to know, I was going to buy one of the snail looking ones at sportsmans, but didnt know how to tell which one fit..
As far as the nipples go-with this shortage, I have 400 #10 ccis' and only 200 #11M ccis..so Im hoping to figure out which aftermarket nipples will accomodate the # 10s..just yesterday figured out that there is no universal thread or them-not universal cap size.

The snail cappers won’t work on an un-modified Remmie cylinder. Your options are an inline capper, a Polish capper, or opening up the cylinder space surrounding the nipples to use a snail capper. 

Some like Irish Ike do well with the inline cappers while others fumble and curse them, hence the invention of the Polish capper. I’ve no experience with the Polish ones, but it seems everyone who has loves it. Kinda spendy compared to the inline, so try that before you jump to something more expensive. 

10 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

The snail cappers won’t work on an un-modified Remmie cylinder. Your options are an inline capper, a Polish capper, or opening up the cylinder space surrounding the nipples to use a snail capper. 

Some like Irish Ike do well with the inline cappers while others fumble and curse them, hence the invention of the Polish capper. I’ve no experience with the Polish ones, but it seems everyone who has loves it. Kinda spendy compared to the inline, so try that before you jump to something more expensive. 

If you don't care about looks, the 3D printed polish cappers are cheap and work great with my ASM Remington on both sides of the gun, so I can cap the next up chamber if needed.  grab a bunch of their star cappers, you can use them like loading blocks.

Don't discount Track's nipples. They are sold as each and made for CCI #11. I use them in my 1860's with Remington #11 and have not failed.

Archived