SASS Wire Forum

Hey Allie Mo, looking to remember an alias

Clay Mosby

Morning Allie Mo,

Back when East Coast Filly and I were active shooters, there was a fellow that often shot with us that we were trying to remember his alias. He started out as a very large fellow, then had the surgery and lost a whole other persons worth of weight. He had a gun cart that looked like a frontier wagon, shot black powder, and often wore beaded and fringed shirt or coat. Had grey hair worn in a pony tail.

Hos alias is on the tip of our tongue, driving us nuts.

I remember a few of them.

You may mean Quicksilver Slim. Only he didn't have grey hair.

There was another fellow, I forget his full alias. He had grey hair. His alias was Something Bear or Bear Something.

BTW did you know that Shelby (Cherokee Knight's) wife passed away in her sleep last week. She wasn't sick, just gone. :(

Thanks Allile, that was the hint I needed. His Alias is/was? Papa Bear. Do you know if he's still with us?  What brought him to mind was a match in which one of his well stuffed black powder shotgun shells was left in the bowl on a stage and a newbie picked it out not knowing what it was. The resulting BOOOM!! had her eyes the size of saucers.

He and I think the alias was Preacher Joe? used to hang out together.

Sorry to hear about Shelby.

You are correct. His name was Papa Bear. I don't know how he is. I haven't shot at Manteca, where he shot, since Jess had to quit shooting in 2005. Wow! That is 16 years ago.

Preacher Joe (RIP) hung out with Moss E. Horn. I'm not sure who Papa Bear hung out with.

You know that Cherokee Knight and Shelby ran Manteca (Two Rivers Posse) for years.

Sad times for us elders. :(

You're right, it was Preacher Joe and Moss E. Horn. The fellow that often showed up with Papa Bear was a short fella, fantastic sense of humor, shot black powder and often wore a Union Civil War outfit. It's been at least 13-14 years since I last shot at Cowboy Town.

8 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

You're right, it was Preacher Joe and Moss E. Horn. The fellow that often showed up with Papa Bear was a short fella, fantastic sense of humor, shot black powder and often wore a Union Civil War outfit. It's been at least 13-14 years since I last shot at Cowboy Town.

Hmmm. I'll post if I remember the name. 

Howdy Allie and Clay Mosby,

Lady Gambler here.  Long time no see.

Could you be thinking about Walks Under Buffalo?  I think he used to hang with Papa Bear back in the day.

That's him Lady Gambler!!!  Many thanks for the memory jog!!   Walks Under was a hoot to shoot with. I clearly remember one stage where he was shooting his muzzle loading rifle. 10 shots, taking his time, and telling an uproariously funny story the entire time!

Archived