SASS Wire Forum

Dis-assembly of 66 bolt?

Cholla

I just bought a Uberti/Navy Arms 1866 in .22LR. It was dry and dirty inside and didn't want to cycle well. How do I get the bolt apart so I can clean it? I pulled the pin out and nothing came apart.

IMG_0147.JPG

Spray some penetrating oil where the firing pin extension is joined at the bolt and give it a couple light taps once in a while, you should be able to work it loose after it soaks for a bit.

5 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

Spray some penetrating oil where the firing pin extension is joined at the bolt and give it a couple light taps once in a while, you should be able to work it loose after it soaks for a bit.

l agree with the Major.

If the first recommendations fail -

First, run a very fine punch through the connecting pin hole in the bolt's connecting block, to make sure ALL the pin came out.  Should see daylight through it.

Get out two water pump pliers or vise grips, and cut a few leather pads to cover the teeth of the jaws.  Rosin applied to leather surface, if you have some.  Slide bolt assembly  as far rearward as possible.  Hold the block part of bolt in one pliers, twist a little on the firing pin extension.  There's a flat on the bottom surface of the tail of the FPE that really lets you get a good grip on it.

At very worst, the FPE gets a little chewed up, but that is replaceable.    But, a good smith will be done before the tools start chewing on metal.

good luck, GJ

I soaked it down before heading to work. I’ll see what happens tonight. 

Archived