SASS Wire Forum

New Cimarron Model

Waxahachie Kid #17017 L

Model 1887 lever action shotgun, in 12 AND 10 gauge....yes...10 gauge!!!

Two barrel length options.

Screw in choke tube option.

High grade, or field grade option.

Check this out on youtube. from Mike Harvey, the owner of Cimarron...and the video is just out today.

There ya go.

W.K.

9 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Model 1887 lever action shotgun, in 12 AND 10 gauge....yes...10 gauge!!!

Two barrel length options.

Screw in choke tube option.

High grade, or field grade option.

Check this out on youtube. from Mike Harvey, the owner of Cimarron...and the video is just out today.

There ya go.

W.K.

Got a link?  Can't find anything on their website.   I have a feeling this will be available soon after the Model 3 American's in .44 Special.

32 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Man that video was painful to watch without my morning cup of coffee. 

So is this going to be a Polytech?

YouTube has a lovely feature that lets you watch at 2X speed... even so, I was hoping he'd get to the good stuff a little faster... then I was thinking,  blah blah blah I just wish this was in my hands so I could inspect it for myself... maybe shoot it a bit, maybe shoot it a lot.

2 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Our daughter-in-law has worked with companies all over Asia.  She says in China you have to have your own man inside the factory full time to keep them from just turning out junk. 

I hope these work out well for them. I know the reputation of the 97s was spotty. (The one I have works fine, so I'm not sure if it's one of the "reworked" ones.)

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Got a link?  Can't find anything on their website.   I have a feeling this will be available soon after the Model 3 American's in .44 Special.

I just went into youtube, and typed in "Mike Harvey Cimarron Arms", and chose the 1887 one from the list of things he talks about. I did not get this information from the Cimarron website. 

One question Mike didn't address is whether these '87's have the "drop two" mod?  Frankly, even with the Coyote Caps drop two, I never cared that much for the restriction imposed by SASS rules.  As a result, I went back to a sxs double.  What I wish SASS would do is to have the shooter start at the line with the '87 empty, then load while the clock is running, and just let the shooter cut loose!  Years ago, the late Cathouse Bill Blattler and I ran comparison tests stoking the '87 full versus loading a sxs for six shots each.  They came out the same, even when Bill and I switched guns.  I don't recall if we tried the '87 against a '97 that way, but it would sure make shooting the '87 worthwhile.  The other thing about the new '87 is the country of origin, and the price wasn't mentioned.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Our daughter-in-law has worked with companies all over Asia.  She says in China you have to have your own man inside the factory full time to keep them from just turning out junk. 

She is correct, I worked for a furniture company and we had “QC” people in the various plants but still sometimes had issues. 

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

One question Mike didn't address is whether these '87's have the "drop two" mod?  Frankly, even with the Coyote Caps drop two, I never cared that much for the restriction imposed by SASS rules.  As a result, I went back to a sxs double.  What I wish SASS would do is to have the shooter start at the line with the '87 empty, then load while the clock is running, and just let the shooter cut loose!  Years ago, the late Cathouse Bill Blattler and I ran comparison tests stoking the '87 full versus loading a sxs for six shots each.  They came out the same, even when Bill and I switched guns.  I don't recall if we tried the '87 against a '97 that way, but it would sure make shooting the '87 worthwhile.  The other thing about the new '87 is the country of origin, and the price wasn't mentioned.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

I hope they don't have a drop two mod.  You can't stoke the magazine if they do.   And, I've got two 87s, a Winchester and a Chiappa.   Both are unmodified, and you can therefore load the magazine.  You can also load two at a time.  Maybe not as "efficiently" as with the mod, but it can be done.

But I have long been on the record as saying I don't agree with not being able to fully load the magazines on 87s and 97s on the clock.   

And I don't buy the "you can if the stage directions say so."   They almost never say so.  

5 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I hope they don't have a drop two mod.  You can't stoke the magazine if they do.   And, I've got two 87s, a Winchester and a Chiappa.   Both are unmodified, and you can therefore load the magazine.  You can also load two at a time.  Maybe not as "efficiently" as with the mod, but it can be done.

But I have long been on the record as saying I don't agree with not being able to fully load the magazines on 87s and 97s on the clock.   

And I don't buy the "you can if the stage directions say so."   They almost never say so.  

I've got Coyote Cap's drop 2 mod in mine and I can stoke the mag.  Otherwise I'd agree with ya, a drop2 isn't worth losing the magazine. 

I wouldn't get real excited.  Presently, Cimarron has almost NOTHING in stock.  The web site "in stock" but it taint so McGee.  I talked to Cimarron today.  "They" said they aren't paying attention to the web site and have NO idea when/if to expect new stock to arrive.  Don't count on the web site being anything other than "we use to have these." 

They may not be "in stock" yet, but there is a shipment of these '87's in Texas, being worked on for Cimarron by Lonnie Ammann.  I don't know what he is doing to them, but if I wanted one (I don't) I'd be a little more confident figuring that any major problem probably would not get by him.

8 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

They may not be "in stock" yet, but there is a shipment of these '87's in Texas, being worked on for Cimarron by Lonnie Ammann.  I don't know what he is doing to them, but if I wanted one (I don't) I'd be a little more confident figuring that any major problem probably would not get by him.

I would suspect these are the first 50 mentioned in the video that all had flaws. He said they were at his "gunsmith" to work out the problems, detail what was found and a list sent back to the maker to fix this in subsequent batches. He also says the first real batch of 1200 (I think) were sold already.

1 minute ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I would suspect these are the first 50 mentioned in the video that all had flaws. He said they were at his "gunsmith" to work out the problems, detail what was found and a list sent back to the maker to fix this in subsequent batches. He also says the first real batch of 1200 (I think) were sold already.

Well if I had gotten around to watching the video, it might have saved me from posting. :)

On 3/18/2021 at 7:44 AM, Warden Callaway said:

Your daughter  in law was absolutly correct, I worked for a company thatimported shoes from china and thats what we had to do, AND they really need to speak chinese. 

On 3/18/2021 at 5:30 AM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I gave up on the .44 and ordered a .45 Colt version with an 8" barrel and nickel plating.  My FFL holding gunsmith responded this morning and, if all goes well the gun will be here before the end of next week.  BTW, that is the last of the American Models that Cimarron has and they couldn't tell me when more would get here.

I'm still waiting for scope rings for my 1908 Model Mannlicher-Schoenauer, though.  They a finished but we're getting some problems getting them out of Switzerland.

That's TWO new guns for my birthday!  Hooray for good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 2:41 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

At THSS, we've always been pretty open to new ideas and new guns. 

We pretty much always allow stoking of '87s and '97s, and include it in the stage instructions.

In my mind, I would like to see it REQUIRED to stoke a magazine if your gun has one. That's why it was there! I've never seen a shootout where the cowboy loaded his '97 over the top, with his left hand, one at a time. 

Accordingly, I always stoke my shotguns, and just blast away. I might be slower, but it makes me grin!

YMMV.

Brazos

Archived