SASS Wire Forum

My Main Match Gun that I Built Myself.

Here is my Main Match Gun that I built myself.  Shoots match heads.  Quite impressive seeing a flaming match head on trajectory!

Match Gun built from a clothes pin and duct tape.

oMzfA2.jpg

MffMaL.jpg

Just now, John Kloehr said:

You're gonna put your eye out with that!

Built these as a kid.  Mom didn't like me using matches.  She's was afraid I'd catch something on fire.  I built the one in the picture for nostalgic sake.  Hardest part is to find matches that'll light without a striker strip.

BGQ,

Great looking EDC..... :lol:

We also made those as a kid.   Mom nor Dad ever said anything except 'where did you get the penny for the

box of matches"?

Usually that penny came from a pop bottle we cashed in for 2-cents.

..........Widder

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That was a neat video, but his gun doesn't look anything at all like what you made.

Improved design, but functions the same.  And, he should have used duct tape. :P  Plus, he had to light his match.  With the right match, the gun I made will light the match. ^_^

The one that Birdgun made looks like the ones I remember my friends making in middle school. I have never made one, but I do remember that some high schoolers did and caught something on fire in one of the classrooms. All of a sudden an edict came down from on high that anyone caught with a “match gun” would be severely punished. My interest waned before I ever got to try. So sad...probably why I grew up wanting to shoot real guns. :D

Nah...That had nothing to do with it. 

WOW, I must have lived my youth in 7th heaven.

We had match stick guns that we made, that lit the match when fired.

We had REAL M80 firecrackers that would explode and blow up mail boxes, mop buckets, 

and your hand if you didn't  throw it fast enough.

BB guns,  homemade go-carts that we raced down steep hills, etc.........

..........Widder

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

some high schoolers did and caught something on fire

My thing was rubber band guns in high school, I did set the soccer field on fire once.  Our PE teacher was going to be away for the day and told us what we were going to be doing when the substitute was present.  Instead of what the teacher said, the substitute told us we were going to walk laps for the day.  when he got mad at the girls just walking in a group and talking, he made us all just sit in the middle of the soccer field.  I am extremely far sighted, so I took off my glasses and proceeded to start fires out of boredom.  I put them out as i started them and the sub was none the wiser.

33 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

I am extremely far sighted, so I took off my glasses and proceeded to start fires out of boredom. 

I am too and have done similar things. :D

Too bad plastic lenses do not work in this regard. 

We would also flick matches from matchbooks accross the lighting strip to make flaming projectiles with the strike on box types.

I caught a field on fire when I was 5 years old playing with matches...I got to meet the fire chief and everything. Event filled day in my life. I couldn’t sit down for a week...

13 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

WOW, I must have lived my youth in 7th heaven.

We had match stick guns that we made, that lit the match when fired.

We had REAL M80 firecrackers that would explode and blow up mail boxes, mop buckets, 

and your hand if you didn't  throw it fast enough.

BB guns,  homemade go-carts that we raced down steep hills, etc.........

..........Widder

It is amazing that we...and the neighborhood survived.  But we did.  And my little brother was much worse than me!  He was a Pyro!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 6:16 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I caught a field on fire when I was 5 years old playing with matches...I got to meet the fire chief and everything. Event filled day in my life. I couldn’t sit down for a week...

I did the same thing when I was about 9 or 10. We had a underground "fort" that was about 10' across and about 4' deep. We had put plywood w/grass and dirt over top of the hole to hide the fort from the other neighbor kids. One day, we decided to play with fire. You know, lit a patch and stomp it out. Well, we waited too long to stomp it out and it got too big. We hauled butt and went to a neighbor kids house that backed up to the field and watched. Here comes the fire truck out onto the field to put out the fire. Can you guess what happened? Yep, drove right into the hole. Next people to come out was the cops....they were not amused and neither were the firemen. We never got caught and it made the mullet wrapper of a newspaper. Never played with fire again.

Archived