SASS Wire Forum

Lucky Man!

Subdeacon Joe

Check out a book I read back in high school (72-75) titled "9 who survived Hiroshima and Nagasaki"

Basically ordinary people who were evacuated from one hell to another.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

10 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Check out a book I read back in high school (72-75) titled "9 who survived Hiroshima and Nagasaki"

Basically ordinary people who were evacuated from one hell to another.

Regards

Gateway Kid

Wow!  I  didn't know there were that many.   Thanks. 

With your amazing google-fu skills you might find a copy of that somewhere.

My google ability is so poor if I need to find something I "find" my 15 year old niece and Wah-lah! she gets it for me. :D

Regards

Gateway Kid

I did a fast and dirty search and found: "All told, some 165 people may have experienced both attacks, yet Yamaguchi was the only person officially recognized by the Japanese government as a “nijyuu hibakusha,” or “twice-bombed person.” He finally won the distinction in 2009, only a year before he died at the age of 93."

I'll search for the book next.

i am amazed to hear anyone went thru both , ill refrain from any opinionated comments on the necessity of both being dropped and say that i wish it had not been so , this was a sad day for the entire world and humanity , please know i believe i exist because this happened 

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

i am amazed to hear anyone went thru both , ill refrain from any opinionated comments on the necessity of both being dropped and say that i wish it had not been so , this was a sad day for the entire world and humanity , please know i believe i exist because this happened 

It was indeed sad that it was necessary to use 2 nukes before the empiror got the message.  And even then, some of the militarists wanted to continue the war!  Had it been necessary to invade Japan, the cost to both sides would have run in the millions of lives.  We would have been facing everything from kamikazi aircraft to chemical warfare, to women and children with sharpened bamboo sticks.  There is even a possibility that Japan would have had its own nuclear capability in another six months or so!  :o  That itself could have ranged from "dirty" bombs to nuclear yield.  They had moved their nuclear research program to Korea's Chosin Resevoir (hyroelectric availability), and when the first bomb went off, the head of their program knew exactly what it was!  BTW, the low-level incendiary raids by our B-29's caused more casualties than either of the nuked cities.  

Some people claim our Triad forces aren't needed anymore.  They are wrong!  Strategic Deterrence is intended to keep everybody's hands off the launch keys! 

Say well and safe, Pards!

18 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Might could be that he is the only person to survive both nuclear weapons that were dropped in anger.

FB_IMG_1615933868282.jpg

You can bet that Mr. Yamaguchi was the one who coined the famous phrase:

私は何でしょう?たわごとの磁石???
Watashi wa nanideshou? Tawagoto no jishaku???

Translation: What am I? A s*** magnet???

Heck, I’ve been bombed lots of times. I was in the Navy, for cryin’ out loud! I remember this one week...What’s that? Nukes!....Oh....never mind...

As an aside, last week I was watching a WW2 history episode on YouTube when some commenter from Japan went on a rant against the USA and the "war crimes" it committed, culminating in the Atomic bomb. I immediately replied and reminded him of the war crimes his country's soldiers did during the war. So far he hasn't replied. As bad as the A-bomb was, had it not been dropped my dad would've ended up in the meat grinder of a Japanese invasion and for all I know I might not be here. So no, I'm not sorry things ended the way they did. Had the invasion happened that Japanese commenter might not be here either.

I knew a couple of fellows who were captured by the Imperial Japanese forces.

One in particular, was with the Winnipeg Rifles and was taken at Hong Kong around Christmas, 1941

As an Chinese Canadian Junior NCO, serving with the Rifles, he had a very hard time of it; beatings, starvation, forced labour etc.

He was was outside Hiroshima when the Bomb fell and told us the guards thought the sun had touched the earth when it went off.

Until the day he died, he would not even get into a Japanese car or buy an item made in Japan.

In fact his son told me of occasions when something made there was brought into their house, his Father would make them take it back. 

I have little patience for those apologists claiming the Bombs should not have been dropped.

At that time, word of the atrocities committed on prisoners and civilians, the Burma Death March etc. had reached the public. 

The feeling among the citizens of the Allied countries was such that if there had been a referendum needing 80% for the need to use the Bombs, they would have dropped.

Or so claimed my History Professor. (but that was 50 years ago)

Archived