SASS Wire Forum

Is APP powder a magical cleaner?

Make do

I had an interesting event last weekend - I shot my shotgun with regular smokeless loads for 4 stages and tried out some APP loads for the last two, for a total of 6 shells. Well when I went to clean my shotgun it was bad and I started with my WD40 and it didn't touch the fouling. Then I switched to a ballistol mix of 1 to 10. It worked but I started to get little lead flakes (a lot of them) and it took awhile to get every thing out. I haven't had any lead problems (none at all) with smokeless or real black loadings with the gun before.   I was thinking maybe it is a mistake to switch to APP (never had the problem with real black). But darn after I finished the bore never looked so clean. I also noticed with my pistol that is removed the black rings on the end of the cylinder. Is this stuff removing crud from previous loads? Is there something I don't know about APP?

12 minutes ago, Make do said:

I had an interesting event last weekend - I shot my shotgun with regular smokeless loads for 4 stages and tried out some APP loads for the last two, for a total of 6 shells. Well when I went to clean my shotgun it was bad and I started with my WD40 and it didn't touch the fouling. Then I switched to a ballistol mix of 1 to 10. It worked but I started to get little lead flakes (a lot of them) and it took awhile to get every thing out. I haven't had any lead problems (none at all) with smokeless or real black loadings with the gun before.   I was thinking maybe it is a mistake to switch to APP (never had the problem with real black). But darn after I finished the bore never looked so clean. I also noticed with my pistol that is removed the black rings on the end of the cylinder. Is this stuff removing crud from previous loads? Is there something I don't know about APP?

I have had the cleanest guns with APP!!!

7 minutes ago, Burn Through said:

Goex real black will take the smokeless  crude off also seems to soften that stuff and make it clean really easy

Real BP will also remove leading from your bores.  I do not know if the subs do that or not.

The best way to clean up a Smokeless gun that's not been cleaned in a month of Sundays.....

is to shoot a match with it using either Real BP or APP.... It'll clean up so nice you'll think its New again.

I shot a Pair of USFA's w/ BP exclusively every weekend for years and still folks would see em and ask me about my Brand New Pistols.

Finally, I wore the nickel finish off and sent em to get hard chromed.... They Still look brand new.

Archived