SASS Wire Forum

SASS Rules and Disabilities

Fire N Iron

Howdy Everyone!

interested in learning about SASS rules for matches and possible exceptions for folks with disabilities. I have a friend who would love to shoot but lost his right arm in a work accident years ago. He is a fine shot with his left hand.  We would like to do some slight modifications to his rifle and shotgun so that he can hold them with his prosthetic (e.g. some lugs he can hook onto). In addition, is it ok for him to shoot both pistols with his left hand?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

-Fire N Iron

The ROC has discussed allowing accommodations for differently-abled shooters in the past.

The SHB used to include a statement regarding doing so, but it is no longer there.

The "final word" in the ROC discussions was that any accommodations for shooters with physical limitations is up to the Match Director of an individual match.

That would include equipment modifications, footwear, as well as providing "hands-on" assistance. (an example of which would be having a helper provide assistance for a wheelchair-bound shooter as a "pusher").

I've personally shot matches wearing a "boot" (torn Achilles tendon), as well as using a cane for stability following hospital incarcerations (NOT recommended under all circumstances!).

IMO, anyone disallowing and/or protesting such accommodations should be charged with "unsportsmanlike conduct" and summarily MDQ'd.

To add to what PWB said, yes, you may shoot both pistols with one hand, so long as not signed up in a specific "Gunfighter" category. This goes for anyone at any time.

3 hours ago, Fire N Iron said:

Howdy Everyone!

interested in learning about SASS rules for matches and possible exceptions for folks with disabilities. I have a friend who would love to shoot but lost his right arm in a work accident years ago. He is a fine shot with his left hand.  We would like to do some slight modifications to his rifle and shotgun so that he can hold them with his prosthetic (e.g. some lugs he can hook onto). In addition, is it ok for him to shoot both pistols with his left hand?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

-Fire N Iron

Here's a video of a one-armed shooter, Shadow Carson...  He piles up his "Clean Match" awards!  

"Shadow Carson at Mason Dixon Stampede 2012. He has shot over 100 matches "Clean" (No misses or penalties)"

Another thing to discuss with the match director might be allowing your friend to shoot a duelist version of Josey Wales, which would allow him to shoot three extra revolvers as a substitute for the rifle and shotgun.

Thanks for the replies so far. Extremely helpful!

Our local club is fantastic and nothing but helpful!  There isn’t anyone there that would give him a hard time at all. We just wanted to get a bigger picture of SASS rules in general. 

21 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

IMO, anyone disallowing and/or protesting such accommodations should be charged with "unsportsmanlike conduct" and summarily MDQ'd.

This is so correct that I felt it needed to be said again just in case somebody missed it the first time!

We have one-armed shooters, one-legged shooters, double amputees,  para-shooters, shooters in wheelchairs... just get your buddy to the range and we'll find a way for him to shoot!

1 hour ago, McCandless said:

We have one-armed shooters, one-legged shooters, double amputees,  para-shooters, shooters in wheelchairs... just get your buddy to the range and we'll find a way for him to shoot!

Post of the year material right there. ^ 

I agree! Man do I love this sport! I can’t think of anything I would rather do with my family and friends! I am trying to round up everyone I can to join our local club. Thanks for making this sport so great!! I first got interested because I love old guns, but I am staying for the people!!!

I think the best idea is to make contact with the Match Director of any out-of-the-area match you would attend. Informing him or her of your specific needs and accommodations would give them some advance notice and ensure the best possible outcome. Showing up the day of the match with something like you describe would only increase the potential for misunderstanding. I've never met a MD that wouldn't bend over backwards for a physically challenged shooter and a couple days notice to make accommodations and remove obstacles will make a huge difference for all involved.

I look forward to shooting with you both if you get down to ACSA or Cowtown.

As your friend is starting out, does he need any leather gear? I am sure we can scratch up some Lefty friendly stuff around here.

3 hours ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

I think the best idea is to make contact with the Match Director of any out-of-the-area match you would attend. Informing him or her of your specific needs and accommodations would give them some advance notice and ensure the best possible outcome. Showing up the day of the match with something like you describe would only increase the potential for misunderstanding. I've never met a MD that wouldn't bend over backwards for a physically challenged shooter and a couple days notice to make accommodations and remove obstacles will make a huge difference for all involved.

I look forward to shooting with you both if you get down to ACSA or Cowtown.

I hope so! Would love to come down the hill and shoot with you folks!  Maybe some time in the heat of summer you can come up north and shoot with the NAZty bunch too! :)

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

As your friend is starting out, does he need any leather gear? I am sure we can scratch up some Lefty friendly stuff around here.

Yes please! He is interested in some lefty leather! As y’all know getting guns together takes a chunk of change. Though personally I can’t think of a better use of stimulus money! :D

2 minutes ago, Fire N Iron said:

I hope so! Would love to come down the hill and shoot with you folks!  Maybe some time in the heat of summer you can come up north and shoot with the NAZty bunch too! :)

Yes please! He is interested in some lefty leather! As y’all know getting guns together takes a chunk of change. Though personally I can’t think of a better use of stimulus money! :D

When I get home Saturday I will see what I have in the "Box of Holsters" what kind of iron is he gonna be running?

Your friend would be welcomed with open arms at one of our club matches.  I'm sure all the other clubs would welcome him in the same manner.  Our clubs also hosts what we term a limited mobility match each year, which requires no movement and may be shot either standing or sitting (shooters choice).

Your friend would certainly be welcome at our matches here as well. We've actually had the same scenario with a great shooter. I'm always inspired by him.

In the early 2000's there was a guy that had a magnet on the forearm of his rifle and shotgun.  A metal plate attached to his prosthetic arm let him hold the long gun.

On 3/15/2021 at 3:23 PM, Fire N Iron said:

I agree! Man do I love this sport! I can’t think of anything I would rather do with my family and friends! I am trying to round up everyone I can to join our local club. Thanks for making this sport so great!! I first got interested because I love old guns, but I am staying for the people!!!

They let me shoot...And I still have my toes...

Texas Lizard

Bottom of the food chain and bottom of awards list...And happy as a clam....

1 hour ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

In the early 2000's there was a guy that had a magnet on the forearm of his rifle and shotgun.  A metal plate attached to his prosthetic arm let him hold the long gun.

I’ve also seen the use of some industrial strength Velcro work. People can get pretty inventive and come up with some great ideas 

i have a friend in a wheelchair who would not join me because he felt that doing so might incur some bad reactions , in fairness even tho a quad i think he could manage it , but his last remark in these discussions was that he didnt want to slow folks [or me] down accommodating him , its sad because i think he might enjoy it and i know most places i shoot would bend over backwards making it work , i have to respect his wishes and we continue to shoot trap and sporting clays together so i guess i would defer to the shooter , 

13 hours ago, watab kid said:

i have a friend in a wheelchair who would not join me because he felt that doing so might incur some bad reactions , in fairness even tho a quad i think he could manage it , but his last remark in these discussions was that he didnt want to slow folks [or me] down accommodating him , its sad because i think he might enjoy it and i know most places i shoot would bend over backwards making it work , i have to respect his wishes and we continue to shoot trap and sporting clays together so i guess i would defer to the shooter , 

Its posts like this that make me tear up.  

In Southern Nevada we had a beloved shooter known as Know Justice.

Know Justice developed brain cancer (a battle that he eventually lost) and underwent treatment which badly affected his balance, strength and some coordination.

He considered giving up shooting, so he would not slow the posse or inconvenience anyone.

We refused to let that happen and I became Know Justices designated timer. 

We would proceed thru the stages with my hand firmly wrapped in his suspenders to support him.

When he was no longer able to hold his shotgun up one handed to pull shells - I took over that duty for him as well (he would hold his shotgun safely with both hands and I would feed it shells).

I assured him that he would be able to shoot as long as he wished (even if I had to carry him thru the stages) and to hell with anyone that complained about any additional time he required.

I knew he appreciated the attention and loved shooting - but didn't know how much until he passed.

Know Justice wrote his own eulogy to be read at his memorial and a large part of his rememberences centered around his time in cowboy and the love and support he felt when he fell ill.

I would not trade those memories and the knowledge that we positively affected his life for anything in this mortal plane.

Don't let anyone or anything - including your friends own protests - stop you from getting him out to play. 

It means too much.

Archived