SASS Wire Forum

We're Rich

A gentleman just called purporting to be from Publisher's Clearing House telling Jeanie that she had won $8.5 million and a 2020 Mercedes Benz.

After a lot of palaver and  beating around the bush, he said that she needed to pay a $1535.00 fee to register the check with the Federal Reserve.

She was to go to Walgreens and get a money order in that amount and send it to him and then the check and car would arrive.  She made an excuse and

handed me the phone.  I told him that those drug store money orders were not reliable and that I would go to the post office and get him a postal money 

order.  That way we knew it would be good, and the Federal Government was involved so we could both be secure.  He wasn't buying that, he insisted on 

Walgreens and a money order.  I told him that I would give his agent the money when he showed up with the Mercedes and we could get the check later.

One thing led to another, and he told me that the sheriff and the FBI would be here within 45 minutes.  I told him that was fine with me and I would give 

them a copy of the recording of our conversation when they got here.  He hung up.  He had wasted an hour of his time by now, and we will never get our

fortune.  And he did not get his $1535.00.  Oh, the horror and anguish this is causing us. We are wailing and gnashing our teeth.

Duffield

What is sad is, my mother fell for a scam just like this amost 15 years ago.

She was a smart woman. But, she entered many different 'prize' contests...so she really did not think it through.

Our youngest was visiting her the week this happened.

After my mother left twice to purchase and send $$...our daughter called us to say what was happening.

My dad was at the mountain property working.

I had our daughter call her grandpa and tell him.

By the time he got home 2 hours later, she had sent off more than $2000 .

We reported to the FBI...

This was a scam from Jamaica.

No recourse, as once $$ were recieved, phone #'s changed and on and on.

Now, my folks were sharp as a tack up to death.

Mom was ashamed she 'fell' for the scam.

These folks told her the same story you just told...but the money orders were 'to cover taxes' before automobile coukd be released, ect.

I wish these crooks would put their minds to good.

43 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

We reported to the FBI...

This was a scam from Jamaica.

No recourse, as once $$ were recieved, phone #'s changed and on and on.

I have reported things to the FBI and never any solution. 
I gathered info on a phone scam in North Carolina that included names, dates and addresses and reported it. Nothing happened. 

I knew of active movie copying and selling. I had evidence, names, addresses, everything they needed to bust a copyright infringement ring in North and South Carolina. I did the FBI’s job for them. They did nothing. 

They probably followed up trying to get Mr. Big so they could have impressive headlines ala J. Edgar Hoover. No Mr. Big? No follow through. 

It was a sad time for me when I started to become the parents to my parents.  Old people become easy pickens for scammers.  I'd stop in and mom would tell me about some origination wanting money. What should she do? She'd ask. THROW IT AWAY!

39 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have reported things to the FBI and never any solution. 
I gathered info on a phone scam in North Carolina that included names, dates and addresses and reported it. Nothing happened. 

I knew of active movie copying and selling. I had evidence, names, addresses, everything they needed to bust a copyright infringement ring in North and South Carolina. I did the FBI’s job for them. They did nothing. 

They probably followed up trying to get Mr. Big so they could have impressive headlines ala J. Edgar Hoover. No Mr. Big? No follow through. 

They did have a collection of the scam, the people taken, ect.

Was involved in a suit against the money order company...but never heard back on it.

Was told by NM Atty Gen office, that because it was coming from foriegn soil, they really have no recourse.

Mom has been gone 5 years, dad 2.

I just pray for those who may still be gettimg hit by these crooks.

Mom's scan was something like 'Prize Internstional' ...something like that.

The phone calls continued daily from these creeps for years!!!

I was at a fellow shooter's home when he got the same Publisher's Clearing House scam call.  He was already skeptical and I re-enforced those beliefs before leaving (he was still on the phone).

I called him an hour later and he told me he listened until they got to the part about giving them money orders.  At that point he suggested the caller do things that I can't mention on this forum.  Needless to say he didn't get the millions they promised. 

Well done, Duffield! 

You're a man after my own heart.  When the mood strikes me, I'll bait a telemarketer (or the like) for as long as they'll stand for it.  My theory is that it's almost an indoor sport for me and it's saving the next poor folks on the list from having to deal with 'em for a while!

I LOVE when they get to the point of calling in the local law.  I tell 'em to get busy...and then give them the Sheriff's name (we're a small rural county). "Tell Les to hurry up and get out here. I'll meet him at the front gate!"  That's usually when I get hung up on...

"Ad"

Y’all are so wrong!!:D

F5CD2B8B-6B40-4844-A8F0-CB5FE908F9C5.jpeg

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I did win PCS giveaways twice. So there, stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

$1 back in ‘71 and $10 ‘bout thutty years ago.

How much did you have tp pay to collect?:rolleyes:

Archived