SASS Wire Forum

Handgun shipping

Dirty Dan Dawkins

What is the typical cost to ship a revolver? My best option is Fedex. UPS service center is too far away (50 miles). All I have local UPS are franchises. won't even ship rifles. Even with UPS Next Day Air it wasn't much less than Fedex anyway; not to justify an hour drive.

I ran a cost estimate on FedEx Express Priority Overnight $138 with $1100 declared value from Georgia to Texas. 1 handgun. 6#'s packaged weight.

Does this sound right? Doesn't sound right all these $35-$45 shipping I see on Gunbroker, everywhere else  

FFL's can ship through the Post Office, you and I can't.

For a small fee UPS will pick up the package at your place.

16 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

FFL's can ship through the Post Office, you and I can't.

This right here. FFLs use USPS flat rate boxes.

9 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Got it. I have an FFL I use to receive guns for $10, but he absolutely will not ship for anyone. 

I have the same problem. The cheap FFL won't ship so I have to go to one that charges more to ship. It is frustrating.

1 hour ago, Cholla said:

I have the same problem. The cheap FFL won't ship so I have to go to one that charges more to ship. It is frustrating.

I’m striking out this morning....a lot of gun shops and gun stores here won’t or don’t like to ship. My $10 FFL is a gunsmith/True Value hardware store. He is in his 80’s and said the heck with it.

LGS manager was frowning when I asked him to ship a firearm for me.  He was frowning more when I answered that I had not bought it from him.  His frown turned into a smile and cooperation when his computer listed what all  had bought from him.   

I know a guy who shipped 2 at different times via the USPS flat rate large box for under $20. The FFL just had him put his FFL in the box along with one from the receiving FFL and a copy of his drivers license. He didn't feel like dropping it off for health reasons , so asked him to do it the first time. Just did it the second time the same way. I think there was supposed to be some form, I think to go with it, but 2 Postmasters had no idea what he was talking about and shipped them. Informed that they were hand guns. She just shrugged. Was likely just lucky to get away with it. Virtually of course.

59 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I know a guy who shipped 2 at different times via the USPS flat rate large box for under $20. The FFL just had him put his FFL in the box along with one from the receiving FFL and a copy of his drivers license. He didn't feel like dropping it off for health reasons , so asked him to do it the first time. Just did it the second time the same way. I think there was supposed to be some form, I think to go with it, but 2 Postmasters had no idea what he was talking about and shipped them. Informed that they were hand guns. She just shrugged. Was likely just lucky to get away with it. Virtually of course

There is a form that must be filled out by FFL when shipping USPS.

40 minutes ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

There is a form that must be filled out by FFL when shipping USPS.

Yes, the form is called PS form 1508.  But I think that only FFL's can ship pistols.

25 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Yes, the form is called PS form 1508.  But I think that only FFL's can ship pistols.

Yes, only FFL can ship handguns.

Dealers must get a much better price. I just had a 1911 shipped to my FFL from PA. and the charge was $10. It got here in 19 hours.

On 3/15/2021 at 12:52 PM, Matthew Duncan said:

LGS manager was frowning when I asked him to ship a firearm for me.  He was frowning more when I answered that I had not bought it from him.  His frown turned into a smile and cooperation when his computer listed what all  had bought from him.   

Exactly! I will try and go through LGS, when I can and when you spend the kind of $$ we do, they should have a big smile whenever we come into the store.

You work with me, I work with you... Or, I take my business elsewhere.

FFLs can ship handguns via USPS and use flat rate boxes. Most will fit in a medium box which was $15.xx last time I checked.

If the FFL has a UPS account, they get a significant discount off the prices you or I pay.

The local FFL I have used has a selection of USPS flat rate boxes. She finds the smallest/cheapest box the gun will fit in and charges me that postage, plus her transfer fee. It usually comes to around $60 +/- to ship a handgun.

On 3/16/2021 at 10:59 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

Dealers must get a much better price. I just had a 1911 shipped to my FFL from PA. and the charge was $10. It got here in 19 hours.

A medium USPS flat rate box with $600 insurance (that gets you free signature confirmation) is $25.20

57 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

A medium USPS flat rate box with $600 insurance (that gets you free signature confirmation) is $25.20

And, John would know.  He does this all the time.

Archived