SASS Wire Forum

Sighting Scopes at a 25 Yard Range

Col Del Rio

Aloha,

Hawaii has very few good ranges. However I do shoot at nice place with 25 yard max distance.  I need to re-sight some scoped rifles. What is the better way to sight in at 25 yards to obtain an accurate 100 shot? Can anyone recommend an article or guide?

Mahalo,

Col. Del Rio

Goggle exterior ballistics calculator.    You can plug in your data. Bullet  Velocity Wind Humidity   Whtever you have.     Request max/min range, point blank ETC    GW

What GW said. 

There are programs that ask for your bullet’s ballistic coefficient and muzzle velocity, plus the distance between the line of sight and the bore. 

After that it’s all just physics. How high/low at what distance to be dead on at another distance. 

12 hours ago, Col Del Rio said:

Aloha,

Hawaii has very few good ranges. However I do shoot at nice place with 25 yard max distance.  I need to re-sight some scoped rifles. What is the better way to sight in at 25 yards to obtain an accurate 100 shot? Can anyone recommend an article or guide?

Mahalo,

Col. Del Rio

There are some smartphone apps for this:  Strelok and Ballistic are two for the iPhone

I have used this one 

https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/

I have found that if you go to the site of the manufacturer of your bullets, provided the bullets or cartridges are from a major supplier they might have info or a calculator that can help you. 

Everyone has given good info on here, you should be all set.

Additionally, to know the theory behind the apps, it all has to do with your specific round's trajectory. some make a nice u shape peaking at about 50 yards and dropping off sharply at 125... you could sight this one in at 25 yards at just below the bullseye, so you have to raise the reticle a little to hit the mark at 25. This should get you spot on at 50.

Other trajectories are linear the whole way through and drop off gradually starting at 150 yards. You would sight this one in differently.

What's worth noting, is its not CALIBER specific, but ROUND specific... how many grains your bullet is, with how much powder, and what speed that powder burns, all affect trajectory.

This is why we have apps and calculators. They do all that work for you.

Sighting in at 25 yards should get you on paper at 100 yards.  But the slightest misalignment of the scope with the bore can cause windage changes at longer range.  Nothing beats sighting the rifle at the distance you intend to use it.

Archived