SASS Wire Forum

Getting my gunsmithing cert

Snakejaw_Joe

It's official... I was accepted to Montgomery CC in Troy, NC to get my AAS in Gunsmithing, and today I submitted my acceptance. It's a two year program including summers, and 80% is spent in the workshop doing practical machining vs just reading books. For those who don't know, it's one of the few schools to offer an attendance degree in the trade without being online and allowing you to learn hands on with pros. We will see if it lives up to its name. I'll be relocating up there temporarily to get it done, likely around Greensboro area.

Mrs. Snakejaw has been a hell of a wife... she encouraged me to leave my cushy career as a chemist to pursue this dream. I've been pinching pennies for about a decade now and have saved enough to purchase an industrial building, 5-axis CNCs, milling machines etc to operate my shop out of. I already own most of the wood machines which is a big help.

The future goal is still developing, but I'm just going to focus right now on studying hard and learning all I can. The rest will all fall into place as I learn what I need to learn.

I know, I know... smiths don't make much money... but we are prepared for that and ultimately, that's not what I'm going into this for. I've put in my time as a young buck climbing the corporate ladder, and worked myself to the bone helping someone else make more money. Now I just want to do work that makes me proud, and potentially start a family tradition I can share with our future children.

Long story short... I'm excited as hell :D I will be joining in on the matches up in NC in the meantime. Looking forward to meeting y'all next year.

congrats on actively chasing your dreams , i wish you all the best and if ever i find myself out in the eastern shooting areas i would like to hear more of it at a campfire , 

Best wishes and may God bless!

Congratulations! :)

I wish you the very best of luck in your endeavor. Sounds like you have a very special Lady. 

Years ago I thought about becoming a Gunsmith. Long story short it just wasn’t to be, but that’s okay. I enjoy tinkering with my guns and I know when I need a real Gunsmith to take care of things for me. 
Keep us upraised off your progress. 
The world needs more Gunsmiths. :)

Good luck to you Sir!

I have a friend who is in the gun industry and he has CNC machines.  Look into doing piece or custom CNC work for other shops or companies to keep that machine working when you aren't using it for gun parts.  He makes a pretty good chunk by keeping that machine running. 

Congratulations. Most people in the gun industry have a passion for it . Sometimes money isn’t everything. Going through gunsmithing school was a very enjoyable part of my life I hope you’re experience is the same 

Good Luck and Have Fun ... Just don't expect to get rich .

I have two side lines to support my smithing work ...

Busy as a frog on a frying pan but not Rich ...

But helping out Cowboy Shooters makes it worth the while ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived