SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmoke

Rye Miles #13621

First of all I watch Gunsmoke almost everyday and used to watch it with my parents and sister when I was young. It's a great show, well written and always one of my favorites. That said there are some questions that I have. Feel free to add your own!

1. Doc's office was up a long set of stairs. Shouldn't he have had a first floor office?

2. Matt never had any deputies until later on with Festus and Newley but for most of the show he had none. What town that size had a sheriff or US Marshall with no deputies?

3. Matt always had his badge mostly hidden behind his vest. Why not wear it ON his vest like all the other lawmen.

4. Kitty's girls only were supposed to lure customers to buy them drinks. C'mon....Well it was a family show but you know what I mean!:P

5. Matt would have been dead with all the times he was shot, beat over the head and left for dead. Tough guy!

I do love the show and I'm done now! Thank you for getting this far into my rant!:lol:

Yup to #1    was wondering how you carried the Marshall up those stairs          GW

Rye:

1.  Cheaper rent upstairs.  If you couldn't climb up the stairs you probably were going to die.

2  Wasn't Chester a "deputy" ?  He sure acted like one.  So did, at times, Quint Asper.

3.  See no.5

4.  Yep.

5.  Most were "grazes" or "through and throughs".  The badge would have been a better target to focus on, so it was best to hide it.

That's my take.  :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Rye:

1.  Cheaper rent upstairs.  If you couldn't climb up the stairs you probably were going to die.

2  Wasn't Chester a "deputy" ?  He sure acted like one.  So did, at times, Quint Asper.

3.  See no.5

4.  Yep.

5.  Most were "grazes" or "through and throughs".  The badge would have been a better target to focus on, so it was best to hide it.

That's my take.  :rolleyes:

#2Chester was never a deputy, no badge, no gun except when he went out with Matt and had a rifle. Quint helped Matt on occasion but was never a sworn in deputy. All them towns US Marshals and Sheriff's had at least one deputy unless it was a one horse town. Dodge City was the Queen of the cowtowns!

#1 Cheaper rent? Oh heck he could afford more rent, he was a doctor!

I don't think the badge was a target otherwise every lawman would have hidden their badge but I get what you're saying. Interesting take on that!;)

Doc needed the cheaper rent so he could pay all those tabs Matt and Festus stuck him with.  He didn't have a customer in every episode.

Marshall Matt Dillion was so tough, John Wayne used to introduce him in commercials.  It also helps when you're shot with blanks.

One of the episodes explained the US gov wouldn't pay to staff a deputy, only hired during emergency, then fired.  There must have been a change in government when Festus stayed on as deputy.  How about Thad?

The girls Kitty hired were there to visit with customers and keep them buying drinks. The soiled doves worked cat houses, two completely different occupations.

Actually, i wear my badge under my vest so you scummy drunk outlaws don’t know who i am until i want you to know! I’ve had enough of stupid cowboys that think they own Dodge!

Always hitting on Kitty,, hell,,half of you try to marry her. Where would i get my free beer if i let that happen? I have to buy chester and docs beer most of the time,,,after i pay for their breakfast! But believe me,,,,some of them saloon girls are mighty friendly. Didn’t ya notice there is a high turnover in the Long Branch? Kitty is a jealous bi****.

What is with you guys shooting those 44-40 revolvers? Ha! They don’t even hurt! I wear that thick long sleeved shirt to ward those sissy bullets off. The only thing that ever made me bleed was a 45 colt, but i put those boys in boot hill real quick. Most of them don’t make it to docs office, DRT. I usually just walk off and leave em lay or make a couple guys standin around carry them off. I get tired. Hell, i bury 5 or 6 people a day if you notice.

Give me a break,,you think i would pay chester? He eats and sleeps, eats and sleeps, eats and sleeps. If i hear him yellin “marshall dillon” one more time,,,,,,the boy can’t do nuthin for himself. Thank god Festus came along! He works for peanuts, and Quint is good with a couple beads or shiny objects once in a while. 

Yep, it ain’t all fun and games, but i do have a nice hat,,,,

I gotta go run a couple deadbeats out of town. I’ll see ya at the Long Branch

I remember one episode where a girl was walking down the steps from upstairs in the Long Branch with a cowboy. Hmm wonder what they were doing upstairs! :o

6 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I remember one episode where a girl was walking down the steps from upstairs in the Long Branch with a cowboy. Hmm wonder what they were doing upstairs! :o

She was Kitty's room inspector.  He wanted to be sure he got the damage deposit back.

17 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

First of all I watch Gunsmoke almost everyday and used to watch it with my parents and sister when I was young. It's a great show, well written and always one of my favorites. That said there are some questions that I have. Feel free to add your own!

1. Doc's office was up a long set of stairs. Shouldn't he have had a first floor office?

2. Matt never had any deputies until later on with Festus and Newley but for most of the show he had none. What town that size had a sheriff or US Marshall with no deputies?

3. Matt always had his badge mostly hidden behind his vest. Why not wear it ON his vest like all the other lawmen.

4. Kitty's girls only were supposed to lure customers to buy them drinks. C'mon....Well it was a family show but you know what I mean!:P

5. Matt would have been dead with all the times he was shot, beat over the head and left for dead. Tough guy!

I do love the show and I'm done now! Thank you for getting this far into my rant!:lol:

Watch how many times that they point their pistols at people with empty cylinders, Matt included.  On the, The High Chaparral series none of the Henry 1860's are ever loaded (button on the bottom).

Another thing when Matt went out of town chasing someone and took Chester who watched the town? No deputies !’

Archived