SASS Wire Forum

People is strange

Alpo

How much would you be willing to pay for a bullet mold, if none of the regular retailers had any in stock?

There is a man on another board. He decided to sell some of his bullet molds. Six of them, as a group. Lee double cavity molds. Starting bid $50. That's eight and a half dollars each. Not a bad price. Used molds, no box, one set of instructions (which is really okay because all Lee mold instructions say the same thing). I went to Grafs and looked at the price. $21.99. The auction is over. The winning bid was $360. That's $60 each, for $22 molds. $60 each for USED $22 molds, that were bought sight unseen. Yes he showed pictures, but until you see the mold in real life, you don't know if it's banged up or scratched or what.

People is strange.

I don’t even bother trying to figure people out any more. 

I refuse to participate in online auctions like EBay or Gun Broker. If they don’t have a fair “buy it now” price or a sale price I just move on. 

When I was a little kid my Dad had a side gig of auctioneering. I cannot tell you how many times I watched people compete for junk and spend way too much money just to keep the other person from getting something. 

Human Nature often involves dumbassery. 

Some years ago I bought a used single stage for the cabin. One auction on Ebay I was following was a Rockchucker that looked like it had been dragged over 40 mile of bad road with a tow chain. Wound up going for more than Wally World was charging for brand new ones.

JHC :blink:

I watched the same thing at our Police Auctions for unclaimed goods.

Bikes going for twice+ what Canadian Tire or Sears was selling them for, while other items going for the proverbial song.

My wife was in the crowd and bought three Royal Dalton figurines for $25.00

The price in any shop carrying them ranged from $175.00 for the least expensive to over $300.00 for the rarer one. 

When I was selling real estate, I was told that a "fair" price was what a buyer and seller agreed to at an arm's length transaction (whatever that was).  The problem nowadays is that buying stuff over the internet, especially used stuff, is you can't examine it to see if it is what you want and what its condition is.  I recently bid on and won an HO scale model steam locomotive, for which I paid $185.  It was a used Heissler geared engine, which was described as being in running condition.  It was also described as a Shay locomotive, which it wasn't!  However, I could see it was a Heissler, which is what I wanted.  That price, compared to either brass models or non-existant was, IMHO, reasonable. (You should see what stuff retails for these days! :o )  After I received it, it ran fine (on DC, which I expected).  I did need to change the couplers, which took a little tinkering, which I also expected.  I did contact the seller to explain to him it was a Heissler, not a Shay, to which he replied that he knew, but e-bay wouldn't let him change the description! :unsure: 

At some point, I will probably be ready to sell a bunch of moulds.  How much should I ask? Depends on how scarce they are, and if there is any demand at all!  I don't shoot much .535" .56-56 Specner anymore.  So, who knows if anyone out there would be even interested?  Or, maybe Rapine moulds might bring a premium price as Ray is out of business. OTOH, Lyman .454190 are probably pretty common.  NO! I am not selling anything yet! 

Stay well and safe, Pards!

In my stash of stuff I have about 20 sets of Ideal and some RCBS cast iron molds. Most are in nice condition,  a few could use some cleaning up. Most are rifle molds. I also got a Lee 458 450 g and 500 g mold mold new in original boxes.  I just don't want to fool with selling them. 

i have a few as well , i just cant take advantage of anyone - if the right person asked i might sell for what i paid for it plus postage but im not looking to part with anything right now either , 

:ph34r:  People are not only strange, and stupid, as suggested above, many are also DESPERATE right now.  Panicky, even.

The desperation people show when they think they MUST have something is instructive, if disappointing.

Following our towns 7.1 earthquake in 2019, People would skid to a stop in front of my store, jump out of their car leaving engine running and stick their head through my door and yell, "Do you sell generators?"

Me: "No, never have.  Have you tried A, B C, or D stores in the area?"

"They're all out!"  Voice rising, speech speed increasing......

Me:  "Well, I guess you're late.  Sorry I can't help". 

As with many things, you may not need it until you REALLY need it, and then, if you don't have it, you're not going to BE ABLE to get it.

My podiatrist told me he saw $4.00 per round for 5.9x28 in 1000 round case lots.....  Apparently someone, somewhere is paying those kinds of prices.

As I mentioned in a post I'd (That's just stupid) I watched at our local on-line ammo auction,  30-30 round nose 170 GN  Hornady 100 count bullets sold for a staggering 395.00 for 1 box and 400.00 for the second box. That's just stupid!

Archived