SASS Wire Forum

Rossi Overland Coach gun work well for SASS?

Shakes Peare

Mostly see Stoeger , Daley and CZ .

Looking for a sxs workhorse that wont break the bank (aren't we all)

12g. 

I like stoegers, by shooting buddy has one. Just weighing options.

Thanks as always for any input.

Shakes

Had one for years in 20ga.  In that case the receiver was too small to stage it open and cocked as the lever interfered wih the right hammer, but it was a great little shotgun.  Sold it simply because we don't use 20ga much any more.

I have seen that you will not get away with just slapping the hammers to cock any Rossi I've dealt with; unless they've been worked over pretty seriously all you will do is leave some skin on the hammers.

I have 2, there are at least 2 maybe 3 different locking types on these guns the type Crisco had won't allow you to cock your hammers and stage your gun, mine have a different type and will. To check the gun, open the barrels and see if you can cock the hammers, if so you have the more desirable model. The only trouble I had with mine was the firing pin retainer came loose and that barrel wouldn't fire, drop of blue locktight and never had another problem. They are great guns, but the hammers will slow you down.

I started out with a 20" Rossi Overland 12g in 1992, and still have it, along with a 28" 12g I picked up in a trade several years ago. They work fine, but will typically cost more than a new Stoeger and parts are hard to find.

3 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I started out with a 20" Rossi Overland 12g in 1992, and still have it, along with a 28" 12g I picked up in a trade several years ago. They work fine, but will typically cost more than a new Stoeger and parts are hard to find.

Any thoughts on a "reasonable" amount to pay for one? I see auctions for 600-900 with s few days left,  I would guess they'll end at 1k-1.2K.

As for speed, that makes sense. I will never be the fastest. Reliability is  > than speed for me. 

I appreciate the feedback all. I like the stoeger, own an M3K so the brand has been good to me. It is a matter of what is available, reliable and fits the budget.

Hammers ARE cool though :)

In the past two weeks, two of them have sold for $999 + shipping on Gunbroker, which is insane. Five hundred, maybe even six hundred, is more in line.

The Rossi's are fine hammered doubles; very period and also very Hollywood! Price should be around the $500-$600 as the other "Johnson" mentioned, in more 'normal times'.

If you have access to a stoeger, that will work as well and I suggest you try hammerless first (will be easier for a newbie).

Archived