SASS Wire Forum

Of .22LR, rifles and timers

Chief Rick

If your club is allowing .22LR across the board for competition are the scenarios being written to end with the shotgun more often?

If you're ending with the pistols, are you having trouble recording the last shot on .22LR revolvers?

If you're not having problems recording the last shot with .22LR revolvers are you considering more scenarios ending with the rifle?

I haven't seen any complaints of timers not picking up shots on the Wire.  I figured there's be threads for days if people were having problems.

Howdy Chief.

Good topic.

I can't answer your exact questions but I can share that whenever I use 'Primer Only' rounds

in my .38's in speed practice with my timer, I was able to pick up all the 'POP's of the primers

going off in the pistols.

I had the timer placed on a table top within 3 feet (closer to 2 ft.) and everything registered.

I would think a quality timer could pick up a .22 pistol being fired cause they have a reasonable

loud report.

Have a great day.

..........Widder

I shot a match last weekend using two Ruger Wranglers, a Browning BL22 and feeding them Remington Golden Bullets from a Bucket of Bullets. I had several people comment that they were not difficult to hear impacts and no timer issues. nothing was changed in the match to accommodate the .22s. It seemed to be a non-issue.

Imis

I would never end a .22 match with a rifle.   In some rifles, the sound of the firing pin can drown out the report of the cartridge on some loadings, such as CB Longs.   I have a small frame Colt Lighting in .22 Long made in 1899, and it will never get anything but CBs fired through it.

Pistols still have a pretty good report, even with the low power loads, but to be honest, I would ALWAYS end a .22 match with the shotgun.

We had an indoor match a few weeks ago and the timer would not always pick up the 22 rifle report but always picked up the 22 pistol reports.  We were not allowed to use shotguns or anything larger than a 22 rifle in the indoor range.  Leaving the pistol last worked fine even if the person was using a 22.

We've had several Buckaroos using .22's with no problems.

We have allowed .22's at our matches over the last 2 years. No change in stage design for 22's, and no issues. Timer picks up shotgun and 22 pistols with no issues, rifle can be a challenge so we do not end a stage with a rifle. Our spotters have no problems seeing hits.

Had a 22 match yesterday: 22 pistols and rifle and a centerfire match pistol - no shotgun as  we didn't feel like picking up anything. No stages ended with rifle, but while timing, I paid close attention while rifle was shot and had no problem picking up shots. We also had no problem hearing hits on targets, but we also paid closer attention. And, we've had no problems when buckaroos shoot. So, we are filing this as a non-issue and will continue to use more 22 this season in our ammo and reloading components shortage accommodation effort.   :)

A good number of .22 rifles and pistols are used in our monthly matches all winter and the only time I recall any trouble was a stage finished with rifle shot with sub-sonic ammo.  Even then, had the TO noticed, they could have been picked up with the timer pushed forward some.

We use the same timers for speed steel/steel challenge matches that are mostly shot with .22s, and the only issues I recall are with suppressed 9mm carbines; I've had to hold the timer right next to the bolt because it couldn't pick up anything from the muzzle.

We also have the sensitivity ctanked up to the max on the timers.

1 hour ago, Cayuse Jack, SASS #19407 said:

Turn up the sensitivity level of the timer.

At the 22 steel action shoots I have been too, that’s what they do.

How do you turn up the sensitivity of the timer?

4 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

We've never had a problem with .22's but Whiskey never writes a stage to end with a rifle.  I've seen some .32 rifles that the timers wouldn't consistently pick up the shots.

Randy

.38 rifles and believe it or not a few .45's too!

The Competition Electronics Pocket Pro timers (blue) have a small slotted screw set into a hole along one side; crank it all the way clockwise for maximum sensitivity.

I've dealt with some other types (can't recall which) that could be adjusted but you had to find it in a menu.

1 hour ago, Crisco said:

The Competition Electronics Pocket Pro timers (blue) have a small slotted screw set into a hole along one side; crank it all the way clockwise for maximum sensitivity.

I've dealt with some other types (can't recall which) that could be adjusted but you had to find it in a menu.

I have the Pocket Pro II and I can't find any hole except the microphone hole.  I looked in the battery compartment also and no  screw.  I finally tried the menu and found  where it will let me change the sensitivity in the menu options.

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

.38 rifles and believe it or not a few .45's too!

If a shot timer is having problem picking up .38s and some .45s, I'd think a new shot timer (or TO) are in order.

My daughters shot for years using .22s and the only change in a stage was with reloads on the rifle.   We have never had problems with the timers or misses called.   With all rifles the problem comes in when the muzzle is through a prop  {window}.   With all shooters the spotters must pay attention.   I have been shooting .22 for the winter and find it fun, I have always enjoyed a .22  Thanks Bullett 19707

I was graciously allowed to shoot 22LR at the last Irregulars match.
A pair of Single Six Bisley, and Henry Frontier.

I very much appreciated this, as I'm very flush in 22LR, and quite hesitant about spending down my center fire stock without being able to replenish it.

On 3/14/2021 at 8:21 AM, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

We have allowed .22's at our matches over the last 2 years. No change in stage design for 22's, and no issues. Timer picks up shotgun and 22 pistols with no issues, rifle can be a challenge so we do not end a stage with a rifle. Our spotters have no problems seeing hits.

I like the 'seeing hits' when speaking on spotting.

We are spotters, not listeners.

But better is 'seeing a miss'.

Gotta SEE a miss and know it...otherwise it is a hit.

I think it is always a good practice to NEVER end with rifle.

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I think it is always a good practice to NEVER end with rifle.

I'm going to politely agree to disagree.

I think it would be much better to ALWAYS have spotters that took the role seriously.

I understand that things can happen, but I think people don't want to end with a rifle (regardless of cartridge) is because it's easier.

2 hours ago, Lassy LaRock said:

We have been shooting falling plates with .22 rifle and pistol in Germany for more than 10 years.  No problem with timer.

Welcome to the place or wilkommen!

19 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I like the 'seeing hits' when speaking on spotting.

We are spotters, not listeners.

But better is 'seeing a miss'.

Gotta SEE a miss and know it...otherwise it is a hit.

I agree. Many shooters/spotters are older folks like me. I wear hearing aids in both ears when not shooting. When shooting I wear ear plugs. I don't have the luxury of hearing lead hitting steel each shot. I know the stage sequence and follow the shooters shots looking for the hits/misses. That is the choice I have.

Archived