SASS Wire Forum

InState Firearm Shipping

Dusty Morningwood

It is my understanding that I can legally ship a modern firearm to an individual in the same state without it going through an FFL.  Is this correct?

I believe that Federal law allows for the direct in-state shipping of a long gun. Local and state laws may over ride this. I do not believe that you can ship a handgun direct, but I could be wrong.

Once I shipped a cap and ball pistol intra state and the post office figured out it was a gun and held it until I called the lady that had it and explained it was not a gun that could take bullets .  Finally she sent it through to my buyer.  

Yes, there is no federal law regarding intrastate private transfers.  The reason you ship to an FFL interstate isn’t because of a shipping law but the transfer itself which Federal law dictates interstate sales must go through a FFL.  State and local laws may vary.  IANAL

I imagine that Arkansas, where this would take place, has no over riding state laws?

You're asking legal counsel of SASS Wire members?  Maybe hoping that their opinion will matter if you get in trouble?  Do a search of the State AND local laws of the places involved.  A city may have regulations that are stricter than State laws.

2 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Go on the ATF website and look under "frequently asked questions" the answer should be there.

kR

ATF lists State and Local laws on their web site?

Archived