SASS Wire Forum

Hunting...

Singin' Sue 71615

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

Different herds support different pressure.  We don't shoot many does. Our herd isn't what we want to see yet. 

We end up with less Resident tags, it seems.

At least it seems that way.

Always see out of state trucks down the interstate with racks.

But...I am probably wrong.

So...just best foot firward, and trust that at least 1 of 3 draw.

The problem around here is finding a place to hunt.   All the farm lands have turned into subdivisions.  We have more deer than we can kill with cars.  They are a real traffic hazard after dark.

5 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

The problem around here is finding a place to hunt.   All the farm lands have turned into subdivisions.  We have more deer than we can kill with cars.  They are a real traffic hazard after dark.

Our deer have learned that there is safety in subdivisions.  Our lots are 1-2 acres - enough to provide cover and grazing, but mostly unhuntable due to minimum distance requirements; that and the MA ban on most rifle shooting.  Every morning and twilight, I have a herd of 10-12 does and offspring moving through my property.  I like to watch them, but resent the way they strip every last leaf off of the rhodedendrons.

2017 03 18 Does Coffee Klatch.JPG

IMG_1320 (4).jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

time to drag out the bow , even with an X bow , I still feel shots should not be more than 40 yda 

I have 3 acres joined to brothers place that is about 7 acres in the middle of town , I plant about 2 cares in food plots , so the herd does not starve 

the city has messed up most of the feeding areas , got close to 4 acers of woods , 

CB 

have counted 15 + deer in the food plots at one time 

Been working on filling out our hunt.Its been a few years since we drew out.Heard of people who draw out year after year & others like me who havn't drawn out in years.Hope to draw out & see how this new hip holds out.Usually go with Unit #2.

Largo

9 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Our deer have learned that there is safety in subdivisions.  Our lots are 1-2 acres - enough to provide cover and grazing, but mostly unhuntable due to minimum distance requirements; that and the MA ban on most rifle shooting.  Every morning and twilight, I have a herd of 10-12 does and offspring moving through my property.  I like to watch them, but resent the way they strip every last leaf off of the rhodedendrons.

2017 03 18 Does Coffee Klatch.JPG

IMG_1320 (4).jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

They do eat all the green, flowers, ect.

We have 2-3 does and a buck who hang in the mountain property.

And a young bear...

They do know where they are safe.

5 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

time to drag out the bow , even with an X bow , I still feel shots should not be more than 40 yda 

I have 3 acres joined to brothers place that is about 7 acres in the middle of town , I plant about 2 cares in food plots , so the herd does not starve 

the city has messed up most of the feeding areas , got close to 4 acers of woods , 

CB 

have counted 15 + deer in the food plots at one time 

Yup...bow tag seem the way to go. Less folks using bow= more chances.

Neighbor asked if he was able to get the buck, and it crossed property line, could he retrieve it.

I said yes...it would cost him a roast!!

Never got the shot last year.

Buck showed up the day after his tags expired!!!

4 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Been working on filling out our hunt.Its been a few years since we drew out.Heard of people who draw out year after year & others like me who havn't drawn out in years.Hope to draw out & see how this new hip holds out.Usually go with Unit #2.

Largo

Unit 16 and unit 2 ....

Hope they get drawn.

Wierd point system here in NM.

If you skip a year of submitting, you go back to square one!

Hard to figure how this system works.I would just as soon get a cow.Can't eat the horns.

Friends have a ranch out Largo way.Makes it a little easier.

Largo

38 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Hard to figure how this system works.I would just as soon get a cow.Can't eat the horns.

Friends have a ranch out Largo way.Makes it a little easier.

Largo

I prefer venison. My venison. I love the hunt and the family time we have. Can't eat horns but what better way to decorate a little girls room? Thems great stories right there!

IMG_20200615_202015736.jpg

Archived