SASS Wire Forum

Too Much Cabbage?

Subdeacon Joe

Let me start by saying that I don't think there is such a thing as too much cabbage.  It lasts forever, is versatile, and tasty.  But, some people do buy more than they will use around this time of year.

Give this coleslaw a try:

Whipped Cream Coleslaw

Basic Slaw:
1 (or ½ or whatever) Cabbage, Green, shredded or chopped

1 or 2 Carrots, shredded (your option)

Dressing:

½  Cup Whipping Cream

Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper to taste

2 TBS or more Vinegar, I usually use Cider Vinegar, but rice, red wine, or white vinegar work well.
Some Sugar to taste

Shred or chop the Cabbage and Carrots. I usually use a mandolin to shred the cabbage and a box grater for the carrots.  Put in a large bowl and mix well.

Put the Whipping Cream into a medium bowl, add Salt and Pepper,   Using the whisk attachment for your hand mixer, or just the mixer blades, whip the Heavy Cream until it thickens and will almost form peaks.  Add the Vinegar while beating, then the sugar.  Taste it and adjust the seasoning, and sweet/sour balance to your taste.
Pour dressing over slaw and gently mix, a folding method is best.

That’s the basics.  Like Onion in your slaw? Put it in.  Or chopped Green Onion.  Or Celery.  Whatever you like in your slaw. 
Dressing too plain?  Add some Horseradish, or some juice from Pickles or Capers (hmmm…the juice from Sweet Pickles might take the place of the Sugar).  Play with it, make it your own.
Enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That looks interesting.   

The cabbage is grilled?

I think under a broiler

the meat in the borsch is pig ears.  My guests for dinner were doctors. Did not like the idea of pig ears but had it anyway. Now when they go to Kanapa in winter, they have borsch.

Archived