SASS Wire Forum

Favorites - BATTLE SCENES

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If I were alive back then I am sure I would have seen this as ludicrous...and joined the Navy. ;)

Napoleon reportedly said, "Admirals have it easier to do battle than Generals.  Admirals' men can't rout."

I believe it is the Klingons who have the saying, "A running man with a knife can cut a thousand throats in a night."

One determined fighter can very definitely be a most formidable enemy!

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Wow. The French were armed with self-loading muskets and the British didn't have any ammunition.

And, the British were walking and walking forward,  and never closed the distance to the French lines. Each volley of the French was at the same distance targets....... 

I imagine that some of the 19th century colonial battle were the last large-scale open battle lines.  Some of those Zulu battles were thousands versus hundreds, or even scores of warriors.

The machine gun, trenches and mechanized mobility changed that style.  Air activity changed it further.

For a scene, in Sevastopol, Crimea, there is a panarama called the siege of Sevastopol. It is in a building at least 100’ in diameter on walls more than ten feet high. Originally painted around 1900 damaged and partially burned in ww2 it was repaired and can be viewed today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Sevastopol_(panorama)

the wiki article does not begin to describe the panorama.  It really is like walking in  a Disney fantasy.

17 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If I were alive back then I am sure I would have seen this as ludicrous...and joined the Navy. ;)

'Cuz living on bad salt pork pork and weevil infested hard tack, sleeping in a hammock 4 hours at a time- unless there's a 'All Hands' call- and getting flogged if you don't give the 12 year old Midshipman 'proper' respect is better?

Let's not forget the splinter damage from opposing fire,  the primitive medical system and the toilet situation.  Ever notice that there's only 1 private toilet on those sailing ships?  Matter of fact, there's only 1 toilet period and you can't use it.  Betcha those Atlantic crossings were really fun.

The English rarely had to attack the French.  Being traditionalists, the Brits just had to stand on a hill and dare the Frogs to push them off.  It worked at Waterloo as well as it did at Crecy and Agincourt.  The Frogs see redcoats on the ridge line, pile up into a column, their band starts playing Old Trousers, everybody yells, "Vive la France," a couple times before the march up hill- right into the teeth of the only infantry in Europe that trained with live ammo and to a standard of 4 shots a minute.

At least they weren't trying an up hill foot charge through a muddy, freshly plowed field with dismounted knights and heavy cavalry while under flanking fire from a horde of longbowmen- this time.

Having worn the red tunic and busby, I'll refrain from comment.

Something that Last of the Mohicans clip brought out of the dim dark recesses of my mind.

I really miss the good old days movies, were they filmed the night scene in broad daylight using a blue filter. We saw the blue filter, and we knew it was dark, but we could actually see what was going on.

They don't do that anymore. If they're filming a scene at night, half the time you don't see anything. Now they didn't have a night scene in that clip, but they had a whole bunch of "in the deep shadows in the forest", and I couldn't see what they were doing.

Just a minor gripe, I know. But I really miss the blue filter sometimes.

This is one of my favorite war movie scenes of all time.  I actually use it in a class on Operational Art and Design.  After introducing the topic of "decisive points" and how they are different from "objectives," I show this video and then discuss the entire Operation Overlord.  With the map and historical setting, you can see what each of the terms mean and what the difference is.

There at the end (I'm probably the only person in the country that has not seen Band of Brothers) after he lands he pulls up what looks like a shredded piece of rope, and then throws it down with a disgusted look on his face.

Was his weapon supposed to be on the other end of that? If not, what was it and why was he upset?

As a true story told from firsthand accounts, Black Hawk Down is one of my favorite books of all time, and Ridley Scott did it justice with his film adaptation. Shughart and Gordon are on my list of people I look up to, this scene from the film only scratches the surface of their story. 

edit: I should probably put a disclaimer, this is not a happy scene. It's a realistic depiction of events, and there's no theme of victory involved. Viewer discretion advised.

On 3/14/2021 at 6:15 AM, Alpo said:

There at the end (I'm probably the only person in the country that has not seen Band of Brothers) after he lands he pulls up what looks like a shredded piece of rope, and then throws it down with a disgusted look on his face.

Was his weapon supposed to be on the other end of that? If not, what was it and why was he upset?

There was a bag of extra gear and ammo attached to a rope that was supposed to dangle below each trooper's feet as they drifted down. Most of the ropes broke from the shock of the parachute opening and the bags fell far away from where the troopers actually landed.

3 hours ago, Snakejaw_Joe said:

As a true story told from firsthand accounts, Black Hawk Down is one of my favorite books of all time, and Ridley Scott did it justice with his film adaptation. Shughart and Gordon are on my list of people I look up to, this scene from the film only scratches the surface of their story. 

edit: I should probably put a disclaimer, this is not a happy scene. It's a realistic depiction of events, and there's no theme of victory involved. Viewer discretion advised.

It reminds me of how the army is fond of handing you manure sandwiches and expecting you to make it edible.  A scene from the series The Pacific reminded me just last night about an event in Iraq so I shouldn't have watched this one either 

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

It reminds me of how the army is fond of handing you manure sandwiches and expecting you to make it edible.  A scene from the series The Pacific reminded me just last night about an event in Iraq so I shouldn't have watched this one either 

Our vets are my most respected group of people for this reason, among other reasons. I never enlisted, but I do whatever I can to help that group out, in little ways (donating yearly, events, etc). No matter what I do though, it'll always pale in comparison to what they've done for me and for us all.

Archived