SASS Wire Forum

Best Gunmaker in the World?

In SASS we often say that so and so "built" my rifle.  What we really mean is so and so changed the springs or added a short stroke kit.  This guy actually BUILDS guns.  Is he the best as many claim?  The video is kind of long but scroll through it and look at some of the amazing guns that are hand chisled out of a solid steel and then engraved beyond belief.  I can't imagine what one of these must cost.

Works of Art. Beautiful guns.

55 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

In SASS we often say that so and so "built" my rifle.  

Thanks for saying this. It's not just in SASS. I hear thus all the time with tactical guns as well. Drives me nuts.

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I can't imagine what one of these must cost

About 20 years ago I heard about an Italian gun maker that made a hammered double that cocked the hammers automatically when opened, this was before they were outlawed for sass use. I knew it would be expensive but at the time I was making good money so I checked into it, $32,000. I never did get one.

3 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

About 20 years ago I heard about an Italian gun maker that made a hammered double that cocked the hammers automatically when opened, this was before they were outlawed for sass use. I knew it would be expensive but at the time I was making good money so I checked into it, $32,000. I never did get one.

;) $32,000 - - Chump change. ^_^

https://successstory.com/spendit/most-expensive-shotguns

peter hofer sidelock

From the link above:

"Hofer makes some of the world’s best & most expensive guns, which are innovative & a great show-piece. One of his side-by-side 12-bore sidelock that includes an almost hidden .17 tube between the two smoothbore barrels, is praise worthy. He doesn’t discuss price in open media & it is reported that his series of “Mega Guns” are the most expensive ones."

Even his most "subdued " engraving is Way over the Top, For my taste.

Rigby ,H & H, Fair and Purdey are more to my Liking ....

With the Price Tag, I need not worry about ever owning one though.

Jabez Cowboy

It's "Peter and his team".  I have no doubt that Peter Hofer is extremely talented and has some exceptional people working for him.   

Are there other people with a small team out there making guns of exceptional quality, without a doubt.  At that level, they don't advertise very much, if at all, because they already have work lined up for years.

David Sinnerton (England) and David McKay Brown (Scotland) are probably as good and I'm sure there are others none of us have heard of out there.

4 hours ago, Chantry said:

David Sinnerton (England) and David McKay Brown (Scotland) are probably as good and I'm sure there are others none of us have heard of out there.

Oh, how have I lusted over David McKay Brown bird guns!! 

I got to hold one once.

DAVID-MCKAY-BROWN-TRIGGER-PLATE-ROUND-ACTION-SXS-12-GAUGE_101420616_401_C7CEF36A84D4C3F2.jpg

DAVID-MCKAY-BROWN-TRIGGER-PLATE-ROUND-ACTION-SXS-12-GAUGE_101420616_401_90C4A5034AE59CCC.jpg

David-McKay-Brown-20-Gauge_101614275_91925_C77FE6A5F85849DB.jpg

51 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Oh, how have I lusted over David McKay Brown bird guns!! 

I got to hold one once.

DAVID-MCKAY-BROWN-TRIGGER-PLATE-ROUND-ACTION-SXS-12-GAUGE_101420616_401_C7CEF36A84D4C3F2.jpg

DAVID-MCKAY-BROWN-TRIGGER-PLATE-ROUND-ACTION-SXS-12-GAUGE_101420616_401_90C4A5034AE59CCC.jpg

David-McKay-Brown-20-Gauge_101614275_91925_C77FE6A5F85849DB.jpg

I love the Scottish (mainly Dickson) round action, especially when it has a side lever, one the prettiest shotguns  ever made.

Speaking of legendary  gunmakers:

I don't know if you have heard but the legendary English company  Holland and Holland was bought by Beretta in February.  Beretta says no changes will be made at H & H.

The big payoff for Beretta is access to the English gun market. For H&H, money to keep afloat since Covid hurt sales.

Just now, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Birdgun Quail ;

Now that is a gun, I would love to own !!!

Especially in 16 or 28 Gauge...

Jabez Cowboy

Jabez, to my eye a 16-gauge is the most pleasing for a SxS.   The 16-gauge barrels seem perfectly proportional.

I have three Hammered Doubles, I use for SASS in Sweet 16 ... 

One Made in 1884 , one in about 1916, and the other made in the 1940s...

I also have a Winchester M-24 in 16 ga.

But I can't seem to resist buying More 16s.....

But buying more is cheaper than going to the head Doc... He's also a lover of Sweet 16 guns .....

Jabez Cowboy

47 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I have three Hammered Doubles, I use for SASS in Sweet 16 ... 

One Made in 1884 , one in about 1916, and the other made in the 1940s...

I also have a Winchester M-24 in 16 ga.

But I can't seem to resist buying More 16s.....

But buying more is cheaper than going to the head Doc... He's also a lover of Sweet 16 guns .....

Jabez Cowboy

I have two Sweet 16's in the gun safe; an Arrieta 578 with a beautiful stock and a restored field grade L.C. Smith that was my mother-in-law's bird gun.

One of my Hammered Guns is a field grade L C Smith also in 16 , and my oldest is a Underlever Husky made in 1884 ....

Jabez Cowboy

Fifteen or so years ago, I was invited onto Barbara Mandrel's bus/truck/motor home by her husband, Ken.  At the time, they were both into skeet and trap and kept their shotguns on the bus.  He knew that I was into CAS!  Ken pulled out a shotgun case that cost more than my entire rig, cases, gun cart, leather, and guns!!

He opened it up and inside was an over and under that was beyond belief!  I don't recall who made it and couldn't begin to describe the engraving, carving, and inlays!! He handed it to me and told me to mount and sight it which I did! Balance and feel was marvelous.  I handed it back to him and as he put it back in the case, I asked what something like that would cost.

"About ninety thousand," he replied with a grin.  (This was 2008 money!!!)

After I caught myself at the edge of passing out, I smiled and said, "Don't do that to a poor boy like me!!  I could never even pay the repair or cleaning bill on something like that!!"  He just chuckled and told me that if I was "over at the house"  to bring my stuff and we'd go play in their basement!!

Nice folks who had no idea of how "well to do" they really are!!

I searched looking for info on these. Looks like they make about 6 guns per year. $200,000 to $500,000 for some of them and over a million for their Mega guns. I've seen guns with "presentation" grade wood before but some of theirs are just off the charts amazing.

What a wonderful work of art Larsen. I'd be reluctant to actually fire it.

Was at the Wanenmaker gun show in Tulsa a few years ago and saw a really nice shotgun lying on a table. Looked nice, felt great. When I put it down, I saw that it was $35,000! What surprised me more was that there was nobody watching me handle it.

Archived