SASS Wire Forum

Cake advice

Whiskey Business

Years ago, champagne cake was always my go-to contribution for gatherings of a theater group I used to be with ~ always enjoyed immensely by everyone.  And yes, sometimes they were pink.  And no, I did not bake 'em ~ always bought 'em from a local bakery.

Although I never made one myself, they were REALLY yummy!  ^_^

If you find a good recipe, be sure to share it!  :)

First of all, champagne as an alcohol product does evaporate when baking. You might see if there is an essence of champagne in a specialty store or cook some down to make it very strong flavored. Use a white cake mix and pink coloring to imply pink champagne. Your decoration on the cake can actually be piped onto your icing to show a glass. 

If you want the shape of a champagne glass, bake your cake on a cookie pan and fashion the layers and cut in the shape of your glass. Do you want a wide mouth champagne or a slender depends how you construct the cake. You can use a BBQ wooden dowel to hold your cake together, then cool, then ice. slather icing onto the stick and apply your cake (baked) to make your stem. The base can be a piece of the cake formed by a round biscuit cutter.  Keep it small on the top or it could be too heavy. Experiment until you have it balanced. 

Think about what you can use for bubbles- cut some rings from licorice candy rods...have fun I am sure she will appreciate all the creative style you muster up.

I have made some unusual cakes for my grandchildren..one a spaceship with little green men, one a castle with moat, drawbridge, little flags from the turrets etc and the other was a guitar real size, licorice for strings etc. What fun I had in searching every store over an entire large city to find just the right candies etc to use. All of these were never forgotten and I am sure your daughter will love you for it...Miss Jeanie

Per my professional chef nephew, this is one of the better online recipes he's seen.  https://ofbatteranddough.com/champagne-cake-champagne-italian-meringue-buttercream/

Archived