SASS Wire Forum

Making private sales illegal

Raylan

Not just sales, but even "temporary transfers". If HR 5717 passes in the Senate and is signed into law by the President, it will become a felony to loan someone a firearm at a match if theirs breaks or if they want to shoot a side match with a borrowed gun.

Title II, Section 201, Subsection D states that unless a background check is performed and the firearm transferred on a Federal Form 4473, such a "temporary transfer" (loan) of a firearm would only be legal when:

"D: a temporary transfer that is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm, if the possession by the transferee lasts only as long as immediately necessary to prevent the imminent death or great bodily harm."

It now goes to the Senate, hopefully we still have a few Second amendment democrats. All we need is 2! That is if all the Republicans oppose it, not so sure about Romney, Murkowksi and Collins!

Does this need  60 votes in the Senate to pass?

I answered my own question:

It is unclear whether Senate Democrats could find deep enough support among Republicans to pass new gun control legislation in a 50-50 Senate, as they would need 60 votes to do so.

15 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Not just sales, but even "temporary transfers". If HR 5717 passes in the Senate and is signed into law by the President, it will become a felony to loan someone a firearm at a match if theirs breaks or if they want to shoot a side match with a borrowed gun.

There is also this:

“(F) a temporary transfer if the transferor has no reason to believe that the transferee will use or intends to use the firearm in a crime or is prohibited from possessing firearms under State, Federal, Tribal, or local law, and no reason to believe that the transferee has committed domestic violence (as defined in section 40002 of the Violence Against Women Act of 1994 (34 U.S.C. 12291) or by the jurisdiction in which the transfer is occurring or in which the transferee resides) or is subject to a protection order (as defined in section 2266), and the transfer takes place and the transferee's possession of the firearm is exclusively—

“(i) at a shooting range or in a shooting gallery or other area designated for the purpose of target shooting;

“(ii) while reasonably necessary for the purposes of hunting, trapping, or fishing, if the transferor—

“(I) has no reason to believe that the transferee intends to use the firearm in a place where it is illegal; and

“(II) has reason to believe that the transferee will comply with all licensing and permit requirements for such hunting, trapping, or fishing; or

“(iii) while in the presence of the transferor.”.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Does this need  60 votes in the Senate to pass?

I answered my own question:

It is unclear whether Senate Democrats could find deep enough support among Republicans to pass new gun control legislation in a 50-50 Senate, as they would need 60 votes to do so.

Or use failure to pass of this and other legislation as a basis to attempt overturn of the filibuster rule, making 50 votes a pass in the future.

5 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Or use failure to pass of this and other legislation as a basis to attempt overturn of the filibuster rule, making 50 votes a pass in the future.

Good point, how many votes do they need to overturn the filibuster rule? 2/3 majority??

Archived